It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First TORNADO Chase! (I got one!!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Just wanted to share my first tornado chase with all my ATS loves

Here in N/NE Texas (along with the rest of Tornado Alley) went through a crazy night of severe weather Tuesday evening- and here in the DFW area, it was the highest number of tornadoes/doppler-indicated rotation tornadoes in a LONG time- fortunately, the damage/injury incidents seem to be relatively low. Here's what I documented- go easy as it is my first time ever doing this- and it was in the spur of the moment (we closed the studio early, so I had no plans on doing this...but on my way home stumbled upon some storm chasers and thought- what the heck?! =D and followed them)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
nice!

That yellow sky is way cool!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Awesome video! I've never seen lightning that wicked. I imagine I'd be very excited and probably very scared.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

The weather looks intense! So glad I don't live in the midwest anymore. Apparently I haven't completely escaped it though. Several tornados landed in Northern CA today. Luckily no one was hurt in them.NBC news link

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Sweet!
You allmost got that one that was starting

Wicked weather.

Btw, your a great dancer...

Thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Never would have thought I'd be homesick for the crazy Texas skies... but these images did it! Love the bright yellow sunset behind the storm. I even loved seeing the huge clouds. Haven't seen storm clouds like that anywhere in the world but Texas.

Nice capture - and stay safe out there.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
That was some very wicked lightning!!!!!!!!

That would have scared me to death for sure.

Good video.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

LOL yeah the lightning scared me more than the tornado lol- can you hear it in my voice?! lol (it's hard to hear me in the background during the lightning clip- but if you listen closely, it's pretty obvious I was like OH SH********!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
GREAT video, I am super impressed!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The sky at roughly 1.30 was beautiful. As much as I love lightning what was on the video was pretty damn scary, and relentless, never seen anything like it before.

Great video!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Excellent! And I have to admit that I'm more than a little bit jealous! LOL! I have attempted to chase, but so far, I haven't got one. Way to go!!! S&F for you!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Looks like you got a thunderclap with that lightning. We get them in Arizona with the monsoons. The lightning always scares me too.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Nice video. Really good job of filming that one coming out of the clouds. I haven't got to see one of these in a while cause it's always dark or they're rain wrapped so you can't see it. For the people commenting about the sky color I do have to say that storms give the most fantastic sunsets you've ever seen. Saw that yellow sky really well from my house too (North Dallas area). Course that doesn't mean it's over. Got more rain and hail after the sunset but the sunset was a nice touch.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Kind of cheating if your following other chasers, best to study meteorology and when your confident start out in the field with like-minded people in the business for real. Without wanting to be a PITA i'm sure they'd have taken you under their wing this once, but do too much of it and you'll quickly become a burden to other chasers (word soon spreads among chaser talk lol.)
Doesn't cost too much to get kitted out with a laptop, streaming doppler and wifi, then its just local knowledge and some professional meteorology books under the belt.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah at 1:17 it looks like a scene from Hellboy!

Originally posted by SkipperJohn
nice!

That yellow sky is way cool!

top topics

join