It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge finds Jared Loughner incompetent to stand trial

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
According to Mike Taibbi who was in the courtroom today www.msnbc.msn.com... Loughner is not cooperating with his lawyers because he believes they are part of a conspiracy to cover up the truth that Congresswoman Giffords did in fact die. In addition to his comment already posted here Loughner reportedly said "this is not true" during the proceedings when it was stated that she was still alive. Well, we already knew he was a conspiracy theorist of some sort, didn't we?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

As a father of a murdered child you're likely the best person to comment on the issue.

Would it make anything right in your eyes if you had the chance to pummel the killer?

Would you feel better about yourself, your child, the killer, during the beating, a day after the beating, a year after the beating?

What is adequate suffering to inflict on the killer to equalize the scales of justice?

You and him in a room uninterrupted for as long as it takes. Make it right. How would you do it? When would you know you're done?

I dont deny that there is an awful lot of mockery in and maneuvering around the system. It goes both ways where criminals get off and innocents get tossed behind bars all because somebody had a score to settle.

Beyond that one has to ask what kind of system is this anyway? Is it worth preventing abuse of a system that would be better served torn down and retooled? It's like bailing water from a ship with no hull to speak of.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

To insane to stand trial?

All the more reason to take him outback and dispose of him quickly. He serves no purpose in this society anymore.. he had his chance and he used it to become a mass murderer. Why do we give special treatments for the insane?

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I didn't know that, DaddyBare. I can't imagine the pain you must feel. Love and blessings to you. I am so sorry for what you have gone through.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

See, that's a real no sugar-coating solution.

Not one I approve of but I can respect the blunt honesty of it.

As we operate in this system Loughner serves no purpose. He wont fit into society and by all rights will never be anything more than a liability so why not just take him out back and put him down?

That's really the most efficient and complete way to deal with him and anyone else like him.

Competency shouldnt factor at all since the goal is simply to remove him from society.

No fanciful notions of justice or greater good or any of that magic crap. Just fixing a problem quickly and efficiently.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

So this begs the question, what's the point?

I agree. And further, he committed the crime when he was insane, so he should be 'penalized' as an insane person would be.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The lack of sympathy for those with mental illnesses is nauseating. "The System" has failed him.

Why can't we feel sympathy and empathy for the victims and the shooter who is clearly INCOMPETENT and severely ill.

People make snarky comments like "he was competent enough to pick up a gun and shoot"... that is not what competency means!

Looking at the hate in everyone's heart, I fear for others with severe mental illnesses who fall through the cracks. What makes it worse is seeing the bullying not only before the shooting spree but AFTERWARDS. Like people will schizophrenia don't get it enough. But now the public, the anchors, the pundits want to play bully too. What is wrong with people today? This is an all around tragedy... but no... let's make cruel jokes. **and they spend more time ridiculing Loughner than talking about the victims, except Giffords because apparently she is more important than everyone else. Do they really actually CARE about the victims or ratings and having their fun publicly taring a young mentally ill man whose life took a very bad turn? I think the latter!)

Know that you are lucky enough not to be (as) mentally ill as JLL. But what gives you the right to say that he knew 100% what was going on??? I don't think he's faking it at all. (his ex-gf from YEARS ago is making these ridiculous claims because THIS is not the Jared SHE knew. Newsflash: PEOPLE CHANGE OVER THE YEARS!) I am not the same person I was 5 years ago! Are you?

I actually agree with what Kennedy said, but he is being scolded for showing some human empathy. He too has mental illness. Maybe you need to suffer to understand? I don't know.

Some of you are no better than Loughner. SMH @ the cruelness. "Take him out back and put him to sleep." So you too are a murderer. You'll be no better than him.
edit on 25-5-2011 by 08051962 because: people pretend to care about victims but spend all their time focusing on Loughner -- spmething's wrong with that

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's my opinion that if you can prove you no longer function in society, society can live without you. Like a 3 strikes rule for criminals, or in the case of repeat or mass murders, swift justice via execution of the courts choice. Instead of determining "why" someone did their crime (satan told me.. god told me.. satan told me god told me..) we should value their crimes based on the effect on society. Someone who breaks into cars or assaults someone could be turned away from crime quite easily, maybe someone is having a bad day.. but when you cross the line to rape, murder, mass killings, financial crimes that effect a large population of people (Bernie) .. there is no saving you, bye bye.

At the bare minimum, people who commit heinous crimes such as violent rapes, murders etc should be forced to WORK in some fashion to pay society for their misdeeds.. all their income and profit from whatever industry we press these animals into should go to various charities. What we should NOT do .. is be kind to criminals, a murderer doesn't deserve cable TV and a library, much less a blanket and mattress..

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
People who are going to be returning to society cannot return even more broken and even less human.

To do so is the ultimate stupidity.

I have no lust for blood for blood's sake. And that is all that you've got here. It serves no purpose but to dehumanize you.

He fits the profile of a mass heinous or violent crime. Therefore if he's found guilty, I believe he should be put to death.

However, if he isn't competent then his crime is something of a different nature. It is still a crime. However, a person's reality is relevant to their crimes.

This is not a case where the system is broken. This is just a case where the system isn't as blood thirsty as you'd like it to be.

Put your efforts into curbing violence in prison and the things that are making criminals coming out worse than they went in. Those issues are FAR more important than this one.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
anyone competent enough to fire off 32 rounds, kill 6 people, make 4 head shots, and use insanity as a defense and manipulate the system this badly is surely competent enough to stand trial.

What about any of those things are signs of sanity, again?
second

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The second murderer in Tucson in the last month to be found
Incompetent for Trial!

The Pima County Sheriffs drove the first one to a mental facility after he was released from jail.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join