It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study suggests 'born-again' believers have smaller brains

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We REALLY needed a study to tell us that?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Science is flawed. It is the study of observable phenomena. These brains you all speak of arn't even observable.
Measurements are corruptable.

By the rules of empiracle science these brains don't even exist.
edit on 26-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Can't say I'm impressed. These so called scientists keep coming up with more and more garbage to bash religion. Ofcourse if it were scientific based they would all be praising and bowing to it. Oh well Funniest stuff I've heard all day.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownTruth

I just posted the results. It's: if one reads and focuses on only one book , brain function is not needed. That one book is teeling YOU how to think . THINKING IS BRAIN POWER.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
the study is complete horse manure, like someone already posted. it's just another case of science bashing God.

and a peer review useless. they just skim thru this non sense like everyone else.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
so basically, we now know where big heads come from. explains alot.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Beach Bum

You dare question what people who can pass off as scientists tell us???
Heretic!

edit on 26-5-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: rephrased something

edit on 26-5-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I thought ( according to science ) only women had smaller brains. So born again women are pea brains?

edit on 26-5-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I thought it was people with facial hair who were the ones likely to set up brutal regimes that slaughter countless people...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownTruth

The study's results are released. It's published in an open-access journal...so...that's about as released as the results can possibly be.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Well, its a fact that brutal communist regimes have, by default, been established by atheists, good sir. Facial hair is not exactly a pre-requisite for making life miserable for the populace that they govern.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

But brain size has no relationship to intelligence. In fact, some would argue a smaller brain allows for further complex thought as the neurons are compressed and increased in networking power. In addition, some would also argue that many of those mental conditions are the result of a brain to complex for its own ability to manage. That our ability for the the brain to manage itself is only so far from evolution before it begins to lose control and over-work. When looking at nature, a walnut sized brain of a crow is just as powerful, perhaps even more so, than that of an ape's brain. There simply is not a relationship of size for intelligence.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

INCORRECT. Brain to body ratio is very important. we are the smartest bescause our 1000cc brain are extremely large compared to our body mass. A cow has a very small brain compared to its massive body . An ape has a bigger brain and its body is smaller than a cow ;hence the ape will be smarter than a cow. How you come up with crap about compressed brain crap is beyond me.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I read a study that says that dumber/ lower populated communities tend to be more religious then communities with more smart people.

Another one said that 90% of scientists are non religious, but are spiritual.

I believe those 2 and the OP post, I really have never ran into a religious person that I said "hey that guy is really smart, he changed my view point on this subject"

Not to insult anyone, but if you believe the universe is as simple as a dude running everything, then I don't care what you have to say, because its nothing positive. Its either "you can still accept jesus before its too late" or " well you'll find out someday friend"

Which is why im becoming a preacher to steal dumb peoples money, which there is tons of. That is a rip off I can get behind. Anybody who thinks giving a guy on stage $10 will make god forgive you of your sins, I don't have any problem taking their things, who cares about stupid people?

If a 6 year old can be a preacher and be great at it, I can be too. xD
edit on 26-5-2011 by Jrocbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
No one needs a study to tell them that when you ask a friend why the world is the way it's, and they say because god made it that way for a special purpose, that this friend of yours either has a small brain or has it shut off for some unstated reason. It doesn't matter whether the excuse is god or drugs or some other BS, they all stuff their heads in the sand instead of learning something new. We don't need a study to know what's going on there. That person is not using their brain, the single most important organ in the human body that makes everything we do possible from an administrative standpoint. So it's like firing the administrator and hoping for a miracle. Or like switching off the computer in a spacecraft and piloting it manually.
edit on 26-5-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'm wondering if this study is from the same people that put out that conservatives, republicans and straights have smaller brains... Hmmm.... Anyway, I have a high IQ, am an artist, musician and writer, not to mention I have psychology, political science, and law as well. With that being said, I am a "born again" Christian. That means that I have decided to accept the sacrifice of Jesus life for mine and to ask forgiveness from a loving God. I have no worries or stress. In fact I would say that unbelievers and liberals have more stress than not. As an example, when President Bush won the election, Psychiatrists were cashing in as democrats and liberals flooded their offices for help with post elected republican syndrome (PERS).

So, what you have here is more fiction from the self righteous liberal democrat elite, who believe they have the golden key to all that ails the world.

I think not..

Try again..

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
I'm wondering if this study is from the same people that put out that conservatives, republicans and straights have smaller brains... Hmmm.... Anyway, I have a high IQ, am an artist, musician and writer, not to mention I have psychology, political science, and law as well. With that being said, I am a "born again" Christian. That means that I have decided to accept the sacrifice of Jesus life for mine and to ask forgiveness from a loving God. I have no worries or stress. In fact I would say that unbelievers and liberals have more stress than not. As an example, when President Bush won the election, Psychiatrists were cashing in as democrats and liberals flooded their offices for help with post elected republican syndrome (PERS).

So, what you have here is more fiction from the self righteous liberal democrat elite, who believe they have the golden key to all that ails the world.

I think not..

Try again..

What's funny is that George W. Bush probably has a higher IQ than 9/10 of people prejudice against him for his religious beliefs and political ideology. I don't think it's IQ. I think it's blissful ignorance. It's people ramming their head into a hole and screaming "I can't hear you!" It's a display of disrespect and unknowing blind ignorance. Maybe evolution created all this? My guess is that evolution wanted some people to be this way, perhaps for the random creative solution that just so happened to work. Maybe these kind of people spark revolutions? Nonetheless, I don't want to make excuses for people who don't deserve it. Embracing ignorance and/or impulsive pigheadedness should never be encouraged even if we find an evolutionary purpose.

My IQ btw is 99 (based on SAT score). George Bush's iq: 120-something.

I used to be a born again christian. A fundamentalist. I even believed the earth was 6000 years old. Liberal christians, like in the southeast, tend to not read the bible so literally.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Thats the problem. You have all this knowledge and you still can figure out the real hard questions in life. So you fill in the gaps with your relationship with JC. Now you have comfort, you can continue with your arts. Maybe to you is not a problem but you still stress over it because you still have to pray (silent or in tongue),you still have to go to church ,not only on sunday but also during the week and finally you must continuously read scripture. Sounds like stress to me. What i propose is screw all the unexplained questions we are constantly asking ourselves. they are not really important. Science cannot answer them nor your faith .. i have no stress at all because i dont care if there is a god ,satan,heavan,hell and the other crap... its all crap. i feel like i have a huge weight of my back. i literally feel FREE. All of you should try it, you have nothing to lose.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I don't understand two things. Maybe I have too small brain but could someone explain me.
What born-again have common with Catholics in this article? And second who pays for such pseudo tests.

Probably some conservative paper media which wants to rise their incomes in the hard time of internet domination.
edit on 26-5-2011 by odyseusz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1
reply to post by Fromabove

Thats the problem. You have all this knowledge and you still can figure out the real hard questions in life. So you fill in the gaps with your relationship with JC. Now you have comfort, you can continue with your arts. Maybe to you is not a problem but you still stress over it because you still have to pray (silent or in tongue),you still have to go to church ,not only on sunday but also during the week and finally you must continuously read scripture. Sounds like stress to me. What i propose is screw all the unexplained questions we are constantly asking ourselves. they are not really important. Science cannot answer them nor your faith .. i have no stress at all because i dont care if there is a god ,satan,heavan,hell and the other crap... its all crap. i feel like i have a huge weight of my back. i literally feel FREE. All of you should try it, you have nothing to lose.

The problem of death anxiety will always be around. I don't think it'll ever go away. Telling someone not to ask those questions is foolish because your advice is no better than anyone elses. Who knows what's on the other side? No one. But we do know that our friends and loved ones are dead and so the question of where they went will always remain with us until we ourselves pass on. Bottom line, we should encourage people to seek new knowledge and not shove their heads in the sand. Maybe it'll make our culture more tolerant or maybe not. But I don't think it would ever stop the questions about mortality from being asked.

EDIT: By telling someone not to ask those questions, you're telling them to shove their head in the sand. Yes, it's true that no one can answer this question empirically, but this is why the question CANNOT be put to rest. You can never stop people from asking it so long as we do not have a solid answer. And asking the question is different from having an answer!!!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join