It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Is Coming For Your Children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Facebook Is Coming For Your Children

digitallife.today.com

Wearing the mantle of education reform, Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg told attendees at a recent summit on innovation in education that, "My philosophy is that for education you need to start at a really, really young age."

A really, really good way to do that, Zuckerberg said, is to let kids ages 13 and under join Facebook.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is insane, lifting the age restriction to allow children 12 yr and under on Facebook, alone?

And just pray tell how does Zuckerburg plan to suck your kids in?

Facebook is ramping up its Washington, D.C. lobbying efforts, spent $230,000 in the first quarter of 2011!

Unmentioned in the Fortune article on NewSchools Summit talk, however, is that lifting the age restriction might be a really, really good way to avoid future lawsuits like the three Facebook currently faces for failure to obtain parental consent for the use of minors' images in ads on the site.

Also unmentioned: Facebook's alliance with Google, Skype, Yahoo, Twitter, Zynga and — um — eHarmony to oppose a California children's privacy bill that would require users’ permission to display personal information, such as home addresses and phone numbers.

Zuckerberg told the education summit that going after the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act "will be a fight we take on at some point," ...

And that time has come.

digitallife.today.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Good post, but remember, facebook is trying to make money too.
S&F

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Our children today already face enough threats as it is when it comes to the net and the amount of sexual predators that are out there. Allowing such a change would be a complete disaster. Facebook's founder should know better than to expose kids to human garbage like pedophiles, shame on him.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Personally; I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be allowed on a social networking site. People complain about the online hazing going on with highschoolers. Imagine the trauma of letting younger children on. Facebook makes enough money, and offers nothing educational, nor social. Leave the kids alone.

Having a status that reads: "Bad day at work. Stan is a douche", does not constitute a social development aid.

There is no need for this move.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

I have to agree with you on that one mate. Facebook has no way to control the freaks on there. It would suck if they started going after little kids as well.Even though most of them just put down a fake age anyway
edit on 23-5-2011 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pressthebutton
S&F

Understood and agreed,,,but at our childrens expense.And Im just curious,,,how much educational value does FB have

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I got news for you folks, most kids are already on facebook. That's the truth. I have friends with kids and they're all on it already. What we are looking at is a technicality. At least if he goes this route SOME protections can be put in place no? Think outside the box.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Ahh you mean there are no 12 year olds using facebook now?

I'm confused.... the entire site is made for kids.

They should get everyone who uses facebook online all at the same time, and sever the link to the internet so they drown in a sea of their pokes and likes.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

I think he is completely aware of the dangers, as Facebook already has lawsuits its dealing with...
Think of it this way...its a win win for him if he can get this done.

Its only the children harmed who will lose, and thier parents who are still liable for their well being, not to mention finacially liability for them as well; until they reach age 18.

Its twisted to say the least. I hope this kills facebook somehow.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe they could lower the smoking age too. Gotta hook em when they're young.

Whatever happened to elementary school students using landlines?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
As responsible parents it is our duty to protect our children in the best way we can.

i do not see a problem with facebook evolving to this.

i see a problem with incompetent parenting peroid.

Its far easier to pass the buck.. blame your tools etc, then it is to actually take the responsible approach.

education starts at home.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pressthebutton
S&F

At childrens expense? No...No and no one else could get away with this...
You need to ask your self ....child slave labor is legal in other countries,
who "needs" to make money off of that?

No one "needs" that money.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jax27
Think outside the box.

Making money off of children is a desperate move...look at China.

Zuckerburg in thinking inside the box...his safety deposit box.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
None of my children (4) will have access to facebook while they live at home and my ar5e points to the ground! A rule put into place when my (then 14 year old) daughter was the focus of spite and nastiness, crying in the middle of the night because it was 'her turn' to be targeted. The old saying is true in this instance, what you don't know, don't hurt you. Simple.
It is our job as parents to enforce safe living practices in our children, including their emotional wellbeing, whether they like it or not. Now I have an intelligent, none ruffled, mostly calm teenage daughter who can not be made to feel less than she is by anyone.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by consigliere
Understood and agreed,,,but at our childrens expense.And Im just curious,,,how much educational value does FB have
It will teach them something, but I'm afraid it won't be what we want them to learn at the vulnerable 12 and under age.

Even at age 13, some kinds are mature enough, but some aren't quite there yet.

If facebook's lobbying is able to get an exception to the 13 year old limit, I'll be concerned for two reasons:

1. Concerned for our children, and
2. Concerned that legislators are doing things for lobbyists' money, instead of doing what's right.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Facebook... Glad I deleted that months ago...

connect the dots

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16c90fb64db4.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 23-5-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire

Having a status that reads: "Bad day at work. Stan is a douche", does not constitute a social development aid.

There is no need for this move.

I so agree...kids cant even drive alone till 16 in most states, they cant buy cigarettes till 18 in most states,
cant vote till 18, and cant buy booze till 21.

Facebook is a tool even most adults dont manage well, let alone underage children!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The internet should not be used for social interaction. Children under 18 should not be allowed to use social connection sites.

The only good that will come of Facebook, is that one day we will realize how utterly wrong such an institution is.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
A rule put into place when my (then 14 year old) daughter was the focus of spite and nastiness, crying in the middle of the night because it was 'her turn' to be targeted.

Yes, this is a real problem in todays society'; online bullies and gangs are real...
let alone the predators on the internet.

Good for you as a parent

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join