It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Is Coming For Your Children

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I do have a facebook cuz it really is a great way to keep in touch with people but i deffinately dont trust anything about it. I dont even have a picture of myself up there. This is a link to Mark Zuckerberg's facebook. www.facebook.com...#!/markzuckerberg?sk=info And just go to his info and read. This is what it says.. (openness, making things that help people connect and share what's important to them, revolutions, information flow, minimalism) People to connect and share: OK thats preety normal. Revolutions: OK maybe just gonna letttt thattt oneee slideeeee.... Information Flow: OK again nothing out of the ordinary. MINIMALISM: Well just it up yourselves and see. dictionary.reference.com...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I think it should be the other way around, a person should be at LEAST 16 to join facebook. That would do away with half the money were spending on trying to protect kids. A credit card should be needed to prove age, not for debiting. FB is evil, they take information that is supposed to be personal about a user, and sell it to advertisers which in turn infect your computer with adware specifically targetting things that interest the particular user...again from the information FB sold them. This is why Google is suing facebook, and this is why people shouldn't use it...they should use good old fashioned email and message boards to communicate with friends and family. Oh and get this, it isn't just their site that gets the private information, those "Like" links you see all over the net, they are intended to see what type of sites a user goes to...to follow them around like spies. Anybody who thinks their information is personal, think again, its actually in violation of a supreme court judgement that says such information should remain private...but it isn't. Of course politicians are going to turn a blind eye to it mainly because people fall for it just like they fall for their own lies...not to mention its the perfect stomping ground for our politicians to get their own "Pleasures". Children have no place on a social network site, just like they have no place in a nightclub or bar.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Children have no need to be on facebook!!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonStone
Of course politicians are going to turn a blind eye to it mainly because people fall for it just like they fall for their own lies...not to mention its the perfect stomping ground for our politicians to get their own "Pleasures".

Yes, and everything else you said is true as well!

Well, it looks like Congress is about to sell the kids up a river without a paddle.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm all about kids getting exposed to a broad scope of information. I don't see how FaceBook would help do that, though. There are plenty of online communities custom tailored for children (like FreeRealms and other heavily-censored applications) that aren't intermingled with adults talking about hangovers.

I think King FaceBook can do whatever he wants but... not a great idea, if you ask me.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Just tossing this in for reference. As of 01/01/10 there were over 9 million users in the 13 - 17 year old range.

Some good stats here FYI:

www.insidefacebook.com...’s-us-growth-by-age-and-gender-beyond-100-million/

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Honestly, I fail to benefit from Facebook and had to delete my account (three times); since my friends/relatives have "nothing to do with [me]". Besides they got their own lives of putting up ONLY their "good" side that people online are supposed to believe. Everyone has a "dark" side, which no one dares reveal in public via Facebook. And children online do NOT need to be exposed to the bad and ugly nonsense posted by someone else on Facebook. It's exciting initally when meeting new people but eventually it gets boring and life goes on OFFLINE!
edit on 2011-5-24 by pikypiky because: To correct for "proper" grammar and spelling.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
forget that ...employers and colleges now look at face book... people are get slapped down cause of what they say in a free speech nation..... he won't get face book till he is old enough to not say something stupid

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

This reminds me of the late 90s when the U.S. Congress was dealing with suggestions of "protecting children" online... A Wise man said... "You can't make the internet ( WWW ) at the level of a 6 year old"...

There has always been factors that want exactly that... even if it's merely a Hegelian Dialectic... old as the hills trick like create the problem, provide the solution and gain agenda ( using children as the reason / excuse ). But it leads to another control on the internet either way....

Ever wonder that a Domain wasn't created world-wide for kids? Like... ah.... ( http ://www.likethis.kid ) ? well... Wouldn't be able to use the let's protect children trick on ALL the internet if they weren't pushed to BE ON ALL THE WEB...... So?... So notice the push for children to be "online"... even to the point of elementary schools and computers for "children"..... Make a couple Domains for "children" only and wisdom will work... Then all other children online issues will be on the children and their keepers....

What the effort to let under 12 year olds on Facebook is really about is making the Internet at the level of a 6 year old. This will require "Controls" to "protect" the 6 year old mind and restrict the elder minds from a facebook world beyond such a level.

Add the "Spying / Monitoring" and database gained on people even from a very early age... like the 6 year old... and not only information and money making goes on... but outright Orwellian Technology AND policies....

edit on 2011/5/24 by Serafine because: errors

edit on 2011/5/24 by Serafine because: grrrrrrrr

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I was angered when I read it;
Enough children go unmonitored on the net and are at risk. To make it acceptable and encouraged(as He's claiming, Facebook is educational) is misleading. Sure, some information spreads, but how is an eight year old going to discern truth from topics and matters geared towards adults...
And yup, that's right, the owner is all about money.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Serafine

And no wonder that the current Administration has a recent push for everyone
to have an "safe" online idenity protected by none other ...than....you guessed it...

The Government. White House Pushes Secure Online Identity System

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
As a parent the decision surely lies with us if we decide to allow the child to have an FB account,

My input, absolutely not, i will not allow my 9 year old anywhere near FB, he asks continually as his class mates have accounts but i refuse point blank and will continue to do so.

Although FB states that there are security measures and settings you can put in place to protect anyone gaining access to images / information, its a load of old tosh i mean seriously if people out their can hack into government computers you are not telling me they are not able to access peoples FB accounts if they wanted.

Facebook for anyone under 16 ----- No Chance.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

First off, tons of kids are already on there, they just lie about their age. Second, no ones making them join facebook...so what's the big deal...? Good lord.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Exactly! That about sums up the plan...
Esp., if they further mandate a law that says all sites(message boards, chats,social sites, etc) have to allow children to join, so free speech can be done away with because it may affect the children. Those who should be watched by their parents in the first place, not the Government!
Craiglist(as an example of how sites may "have" to monitor people), for certain areas, already has you receiving a phone call from them to confirm a post. Is this the future for any sites left unaffected by being banned(ie.content copy write!)...

edit on 24-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: added.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Jocko Flocko

Correct. This would be a complete disaster.
Also, more identity theft. Oh yes, FB will now be a complete gold mine for identity thieves.

It's ALL about money. The more people on FB, the more potential for making money.

Screw you, FB!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jocko Flocko
Our children today already face enough threats as it is when it comes to the net and the amount of sexual predators that are out there. Allowing such a change would be a complete disaster. Facebook's founder should know better than to expose kids to human garbage like pedophiles, shame on him.

I totally agree with you.....what he wants to do is not right....I am afraid for the children....and unfortunately not every child lives in a home where their parents would take action and not allow them to join facebook...I think there should be a law passed....that you have to be 21 or over to join....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 08051962

I've had a few glimpses(untl they mods caught them) of spammers on here, who also seem to have hacked ATS-making a thread with 0 posts-, posting half an article with a source link to a video site that contain spam and possible malware. To the unsuspecting person, and more with children, giving the spammers an upper hand.
To say if it happens on here can happen on Facebook for sure.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
"The answer to 99 out of the world's 100 questions is the same, MONEY"

2nd line

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

what about actualy educate and pay attention about your kids and do your job as being parents ?

Peoples complains about the gov makin useless laws and suddendly when you tell peoples to take responsabilities they just answer "the gov should make a new law"

Seriously, do you guys even realise you're exactly doing what the governement planned for you ?

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
It is up to child protection services and parents to look after the children. We dont need no intrusive laws, and there is no way it could be enforced in practice anyway.
edit on 24/5/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join