It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is The Internet Hiding?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
front.moveon.org...,0

Guys watch the video (10 min long). It is about Facebook and google filtering your results. This is censorship plain and simple. I posted a screen shot from my Google search of the term "egypt." As it is relevant to the video.

Please post a screen shot of your search of "egypt" in Google:
BTW make sure you delete your "location" on the screenshot as to not be visible by other ATS members

Please before posting delete your Location as shown in this area:

edit on 20-5-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Ok haven't watched the video yet. But heres a pic

I don't know what to believe about google. >

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Mine and your search results are in different order, meaning they are being tailored to individual needs. Dude delete your location on your screenshot!!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This is an interesting thread so here is my screenie, its on my iPad so the rotation may be wrong. Also this is results from Google UK

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

you only got 364 million results, we got 372 million results. PS, before posting, make sure you delete your location in the left hand side of the search on the screenshot.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well I'm in the UK and ran .co.uk and .com with location on and off..
both returned about 400 million results..
strange indeed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/daf63aec6391.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 20/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
What he said about Facebook censoring pages and such.. He's spot on. I've notice many groups I've joined seem to have vanished and no longer update their status. Yet, when I go view the groups wall, they've been posting very regularly.

reply to post by Nuker

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nuker

Wow, ny times is my second search result, while it does not even show up on yours!! I mean wow, if that is not censorship I don't know what is.

It is almost as if americans are being forced to the nytimes results.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Ok thought i'd post using a NL proxy

I watched the video and what he said about facebook didn't surprise after they came out and said they give out to much freedom in places like china(something along those lines.)
But i don't think there anything too sinster behind the reason for Google and different results.even though it can have bad consequences.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Two thoughts here...

1. I'm surprised people dont know this already about google.
Hadnt you noticed that you got 'local' results for the searches you do? eg here in Melbourne, Australia, a google search for 'police' gets me the local police. A 'global' search engine would be less useful.

2. ATS does the same thing. It filters your view of the internet.
Just as the various other sites mentioned in the TED talk do, ATS users have conspired to create a website where the massive majority of topics about the world are NOT covered, but discussions on Nibiru, UFO's, aliens and conspiracies are well covered. A search of ATS for various classical music composers, for example, produces almost no results at all for most of them. The man who designed the current champion Formula 1 car, Adrian Newey, gets no results at all.
And you might say "thats the way it should be" because ATS isnt really supposed to cover those topics.
But nevertheless, its a filter, just like the website for any major news organisation.
It is designed to give the readers what they want, to keep them coming back. Again, just like.
It is not designed to give readers news on topics they dont want to read about. Again, just like.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Interesting that I get 28 million more results than you..

I wonder what those could be....

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I understand, but the point of a search engine is not to filter my search results, unless I state it explicitly or save it in my preferences.

When I search something, I want it all. That means all 372 million webpages. It is up to me to decide what is relevant to me, not google or facebook.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

"As web companies strive to tailor their services (including news and search results) to our personal tastes, there's a dangerous unintended consequence: We get trapped in a "filter bubble" and don't get exposed to information that could challenge or broaden our worldview".

This may shed some light on what's happening.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This is paranoia at its finest, it really is

All search engines use algorithms to determine the results, how these algorithms work is a closely guarded secret in each company, to protect their intellectual property, Googles search engine being the most popular, and most widely used comes under a lot of scrutiny.

When Google first started, and what made it popular was its algorithm used a system called page rank, and this was highly popular, it generally brought up the most popular pages which tended to have the best info, this system got abused and ways were developed to give pages higher rankings, and so Google changed the algorithm to prevent searches being hijacked to nefarious pages

Now Google used a localised personal algorithm, which is more tailored to the individual, it tracks your previous searches and tailors the result. If you want to test this do a search, then go into your browser and clear your history, cookies and cashe, then redo the search, you will have a slightly different result

Also it would be wise to learn to use Boolean operators to narrow your searches if looking for specific content

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

2. ATS does the same thing. It filters your view of the internet.
Just as the various other sites mentioned in the TED talk do, ATS users have conspired to create a website where the massive majority of topics about the world are NOT covered, but discussions on Nibiru, UFO's, aliens and conspiracies are well covered. A search of ATS for various classical music composers, for example, produces almost no results at all for most of them. The man who designed the current champion Formula 1 car, Adrian Newey, gets no results at all.

is that really the same though? are the results not showing up because ATS is hiding it or because there are no threads about it? im sure i could go to a off topic section and post some crap about F1 if i wanted to. or am i missing what your saying in your second part.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Bixxi3

I understand, but the point of a search engine is not to filter my search results, unless I state it explicitly or save it in my preferences.

When I search something, I want it all. That means all 372 million webpages. It is up to me to decide what is relevant to me, not google or facebook.

I guess that is the ultimate problem.
We should be able to search unfiltered if we want to.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Google search for egypt shows 398.000.000 results for me

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Googled searched egypt.

Got 369 million results.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

It is not censorship they are personalized results.
No secret and It kicks ass.

FFS if it was censorship do you really think they would not come up with a better plan then using the location THE USER SELECTS and can change at anytime.

Even using IP addresses would make sense and that is still retarded.

If Google or the government wanted to censor your internet you sure as hell would not beat it by changing you location.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join