It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be a good gun for my mother?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I recommend taking her to a range that rents guns and letting her try a multitude of weapons until she finds one shes comfy with. We can make recommendations all day, but in the end it comes down to personal preference.
Alot of you crack me up, "I wouldn't use anything less than this size or that size caliber" Apparently none of you have ever been shot. I have, by a .22 and it dropped me like a sack of potatoes quick fast and in a hurry. I like large caliber weapons as well, but if a person pointed a high powered bb gun at me,I'd back off.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sabbathcrazy
I do not know much about guns. I know that a shotgun would be the best choice for home protection because it spreads. But on the other hand a pistol would be nice. Could you please recommend me some good pistol's and shotgun's for a 40 year old 110lb 5"8 woman?
edit on 19-5-2011 by sabbathcrazy because: (no reason given)
nothing to expensive.

first :
Shotgun patterns don't spread much at typical across the bedroom distances.
a12 ga "kicks" stoutly and is deafening inside. bad choice for an untrained40 yrold woman. A 20 GA is much more manageable on all counts and still delivers substantial energy.even a .410 can be a deterant. simple break open guns are far easier to understand and usesafely than pumps or semi autos. a short double 20coach gun mightfilll thebill ora .38 revolver if she'll practice.Sheneeds"training" of some kind even if only on the legalities.

edit on 20-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by drivers1492

A 70 year old with a snub nose Rossi .357? That's impressive. I wonder if it's the same Rossi I had? Does it weigh heavier than most snubs? The Rossi I had was the ultimate self defense tool. Six shots of .357 Magnum and when you ran out of ammo you could throw it at your assailant or use it as a brick to beat the hell out of them...lol

--Apex

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I do not know much about guns. I know that a shotgun would be the best choice for home protection because it spreads. But on the other hand a pistol would be nice. Could you please recommend me some good pistol's and shotgun's for a 40 year old 110lb 5"8 woman?
nothing to expensive.

I would suggest a long distant TASER M26C / M18L.
Taser Gun
Zaps up to 15 feet away.

Else, I also suggest a .38 revolver.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by zirazira

Yep, she bought it in 1992 (so ok, not quite 20 years) when we moved to FL from St. Croix. What's more she didn't tell me or my brother, both gun nuts, she was doing it until she showed it to us. She had owned one 40 years ago but sold it when she moved to St. Croix since it was very hard to own a gun legally there. When my brother and I moved to St. Croix we got around that by buying cheap throw away guns. It was easy to get guns on the island but very hard to get them off. I found an old nickel plated .32 S&W revolver in a pawn shop and took it down there.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Saiga
www.brigadee5.com...

Semi automatic shotgun. You can also get 20 round drums for when the zombies show up. There are some good You Tube demonstration videos too.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Originally posted by Vandalour
lol.. its funny to read about americans and guns.. do all you rednecks have firearms ?

I predict next thread would be, what weapon should my dog have installed.

I think it is hillarious when Europeans and Aussies come here and lecture us about guns. England's violent crime rate (including firearms crimes) is 400% higher than America's. You are actually more likely to be attacked, raped, or robbed in England, France, Holland Scottland and a few other EU countries than America. Yet, Europeans keep thinking they should lecture us about how to be safe and how dangerous our guns are.

As I have said else where. Address the plank in your own eye before the splinter in mine.

Actually No...
USA is the have the most crimes, in the world.

Top 10 Countires - crimes

The crime-rates map shows the world top ten countries with the highest reported crime rate.This map tells us about the number of crimes that took place per 100,000 people.

Data indicated on the map of countries with the highest reported crime rates is based on house hold surveys, hospital and insurance records, FIR recorded by police or by law enforcement agencies.

Map of countries with the highest reported crime rates clearly indicates that countries of Europe and America are the least safe countries in the world. Asia even though not that economically sound is far safer as compared to the ten countries listed on this map United States with 11,877,218 is the most unsafe country in this list while India, with 1,764,630 is the safest.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

nothing to expensive.

A squirt gun

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

Total number of crimes, yes. We also have nearly five times the population.

Per Capita we are much safer than most of Europe.

Acording to the Telegraph,

The total number of violent offences recorded compared to population is higher than any other country in Europe, as well as America, Canada, Australia and South Africa...

It means there are over 2,000 crimes recorded per 100,000 population in the UK, making it the most violent place in Europe.

Austria is second, with a rate of 1,677 per 100,000 people, followed by Sweden, Belgium, Finland and Holland.

By comparison, America has an estimated rate of 466 violent crimes per 100,000 population.

France recorded 324,765 violent crimes in 2007 – a 67 per cent increase in the past decade – at a rate of 504 per 100,000 population.

Telegraph Article

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a squirt gun

Super Soaker Monster XL

www.sscentral.org...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

I would suggest a 20 guage shotgun personally, for home defense.

I agree... Shotgun's the way to go.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tomten

That map doesn't show what types of crimes they were.

www.cfif.org...

www.nationmaster.com...

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 20-5-2011 by rlnochance because: added one more

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I recommend the new shotgun uzzie. It will flatten the whole area.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
As to the Original topic I can relate a story.

My step-father sells guns at the gun counter at a local Bass Pro. He taught me about shooting and I respect his opinion greatly. In the following situation, I would have ironically told the woman involved to get a 357 magnum. But that was not the case and you will see how it went...

~~ STORY TIME ~~

My stepfather was at the counter when he overheard a man and a woman discussing firearms. After a little listening he discovered the woman was looking for a personal defense weapon for the home and for carry. My stepfather is an avowed 45 caliber die-hard. I know that flies contrary to much popular opinion but this is a heads up and a true story so I figured full disclosure was worthwhile.

Anyways, they eventually come up to him and say "what's a good 9mm woman's pistol?" ... and they then relate the story that she's been stalked by her ex husband for several months since he got out of prison and they recently started getting threats. The new man brought her in to get her firearm, then off to get a CCW. My stepfather listened patiently and then said "Don't buy a 9mm. Buy a 45." The man immediately began to retort about how difficult it would be to fire, etc. My stepfather reasoned that you need less shots to stop an attacker, about 1 to be precise, with a 45 than a 9mm. And moreover that if you need more than 7 or 8 shots in a home defense situation at close range, you should probably look at diving out a window to get out of the house.

They talked back and forth but the man and woman reluctantly agreed. A few weeks later the woman came in and asked for his manager and him. He at first was concerned that he might be in trouble. But she thanked him publicly in front of the manager; stated that the man showed up at the house with a knife and approached her. She drew her 45 and shot him dead in her home. To thank him she bought him a book (Since they had been talking casually, she picked up he was into Garands), a real nice leather-bound book of name I cannot recall.

So there you go, there's the story. Do with it as you will. Call it a fluke, call it good logic, good luck, whatever.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I would get her a Mossberg 500, yes its a pump and slower, but I have seen pumping it fix the problem cause when somebody heres that they are proballly going to sh#t themselves. as it has already been stated alot of times one shot fixes the problem but if you only have to pump the gun all the better. It takes practice to get use to shooting the gun but its not hard at all. The recoil is light for me I have seen women of all sizes shoot it and no problems. On there website it shows them running about $500 so not to bad

for ammo slug 00 buck rotation
edit on 20-5-2011 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The child minded, off topic and blatantly rude comments posted in this thread is simply outrageous.

The OP asked a polite and intelligent question to the best choice of firearms for his good mother but sadly a few gun haters decided to come into a this forum and make a mockery of this thread and the fine members who are truly attempting to answer the OP's question... the last two members below even digress to a level where they think themselves funny by spinning the thread topic into a joke of killing the OP's mother, as if it/they were witty but it is only pitifully sad.

Here are some of the childish remarks:

Originally posted by cloaked4u
I recommend the new shotgun uzzie. It will flatten the whole area.

Originally posted by mudbeed

A squirt gun

Originally posted by NNEECE

Super Soaker Monster XL
www.sscentral.org...

Originally posted by rabzdguy
A gun that shoots sharks that shoot lazers from their mouths.

Originally posted by ZackMorris
Ummm, I'm no expert, but I would recommend a pre-ban AK47, with a bayonet and some type of grenade launcher attachment. And make every 5th bullet a phosphorus tracer round. if you're lookin to save some money then forget the carrying strap. Make one out of a belt. You cannot skimp on the scope though... That will be at least a thpusand right there. And if you can't afford this, then I would ger her a killer bb/pellet gun.

Originally posted by TimeCrisis
Id say a Desert Eagle,Magnum,RPG or a minigun.

Originally posted by Vandalour
lol.. its funny to read about americans and guns.. do all you rednecks have firearms ?

I predict next thread would be, what weapon should my dog have installed.

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
hmmm.....

'Best gun for your mother'?

Depends if you prefer a body shot or a head shot?

Don't you like her cooking anymore

Originally posted by newcovenant
I am thinking a 30 odd 6 would do the trick but if you aim straight for the temple you might be able to take the old lady down with something as light as a 22. How big is she? I know I have mother problems myself.

If you do not agree with this thread or firearms, simply go to another topic/thread that interests you; trolling, insulting and mocking other members sadly speaks volumes to your true character and class (lack-of).

To Sabbathcrazy (OP), please simply ignore these rude posts, they only embarrass themselves.
This thread had some very fine suggestions and opinions to personal firearm preference but you may find it is just that, personal choice in the end.

You may find that opinions on firearms are as vast as those on the political front, at times.

One humbly recommends taking your mother to different firearm venues; different firearm stores, gun shows and if possible, make arrangements to stop by your mother's house with some of your friends who own a few different types of firearms.

Your mom may feel much more comfortable learning to safely handle and familiarize herself with different firearms in her own home.

This way she will have a better understanding and start to feel much more confident when you take her to the firing range (many ranges have a solid selection of firearms to rent, so don't be shy, try them all if you have the coin.)

By this time she will have her favorites, likes & dislikes. She may even decide that firearms are just not her thing.

Either way, both of you make it a great time. First firearm, great memories!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

I second this advice. But I would say the SR9c(compact) would be just as good.

I own a full size SR9 and it is reliable, EXTREMLY accurate, and the price is reasonable.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AP-Chris
reply to post by Version100

Automatics are a poor choice, and the .357 has major muzzle climb

Yeah, thats why all police and military use revlovers...(sarcasim!)

He's right movie boy.... Police and Military are trained to clear malfunctions(jams)under stress,. Revolvers have less to go wrong. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your barrel; if you can't deal with a threat with 6 well placed shots. you are probably screwed even with a big bad auto pistol. I have both; I was trained to carry the1911, That puts me in a different category than somebodies Mom.

As you said yourself:

The speed loaders are worthless unless she learns how to use them

Revolvers = six shots, slow reloads.

Semi-Autos = minimum 6 to 17 rounds and quick reloads.

So what. If I get the threat stopped in the first 3 rounds or few seconds. Statitically most gunfights last a few seconds and occur at point blank range. Not like the running gun battles in the movies..

A thin, inexperienced, woman (5'8" 110lbs) will have problems with
shotgun recoil unless she practices and knows how to keep the
stock tight into the shoulder.

I agree, especially for a 12 gauge, and she will have to remeber to rack the slide for the next shot under stress.

From 1MrMarc

The little Kel-Tecs in .32 or .380 are good little guns.

I agree, the Kel-Tec 32 is a good gun. I think the 32 instead of the 380 is more shooter friendly for women plus it holds 7 in the magazine as opposed to the 380's 6. They sell 8 and 10 rd magazines also. Like the 8 for the grip, the 10 rd rattles too much.

edit on 23-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

He's right movie boy.... Police and Military are trained to clear malfunctions(jams)under stress,. Revolvers have less to go wrong. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves your barrel; if you can't deal with a threat with 6 well placed shots. you are probably screwed even with a big bad auto pistol. I have both; I was trained to carry the1911, That puts me in a different category than somebodies Mom.

Sorry, but you are lagging behind in the last century. You are confining yourself to a firearm that usuually carries less rounds and is slower to reload because you think semi-autos are less reliable than revolvers. The Colt 1911 you mention is renowned for it's reliablilty as are a host of other autos by quality manufacturers. I carried an M9, it went bang every time as does my Glock. The trigger pull on a Glock isn't great, but it's better than most revolvers being fired double action.

You are not the first person to say "if you can't deal with a threat with 6 well placed shots, you are probably screwed."

That's a callous disregard for someone's life. What if they are in a bad situation against multiple threats? Don't you want to at least give them a chance with a few more rounds instead of just writing them off as screwed?

Since you called me a "movie boy", I'll just say I have quite a bit more experience than many, but less than a few people here.

It is very possible, and most times likely, that you will go through more than 6 rounds in a firefight indoors unless you catch the attacker unaware. Since he is breaking in to your house, he senses are already on full alert while you may be coming out of a deep sleep. In fact, if you don't catch him in the first round or two, you can expect alot of gunfire to exchange real quick if he's armed. And I can tell you most of the gunfire exchanged won't be "well placed shots," it'll be the best you can shoot as you are waking up and shooting from whatever cover you're ducking behind... and you'll be shooting at anything you can see exposed or whatever you hope your bullets will go through to get him. Of course, maybe you'll get lucky and he will silhouette himself in a hallway and you can double tap him center mass with 4 rounds to spare...

The best advice that I can tell the OP is to reinforce the entry doors. Doors on most American suburb houses are easy to kick in. Home Depot sells a one piece door frame reinforcement kit: Home Depot door kit

If not that, at least replace the crappy little woodscrews with 3" ones that go into the frame instead of just the trim. Replace the screws for the hinges with longer ones also. Security film on first floor windows and stops that restrict window opening to 8" would be good also.

If someone kicks your door in when you are asleep, you only have a few seconds to wake up and get your weapon before they are upon you. That's what you really need to prevent or delay for as long as possible.

Alarms? Sure, but secure the doors and windows first. It's cheaper and provides better immediate physical protection.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join