It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shariah Law and American State Courts:WARNING

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases Version 1.2 / May 18, 2011 (PDF, 635 pages, 2.4 MB) The Center for Security Policy’s report, Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases evaluates 50 Appellate Court cases from 23 states that involve conflicts between Shariah (Islamic law) and American state law. These cases are the stories of Muslim American families, mostly Muslim women and children, who were asking American courts to preserve their rights to equal protection and due process. These families came to America for freedom from the discriminatory and cruel laws of Shariah. When our courts then apply Shariah law in the lives of these families, and deny them equal protection, they are betraying the principles on which America was founded. The study’s findings suggest that Shariah law has entered into state court decisions, in conflict with the Constitution and state public policy. Some commentators have said there are no more than one or two cases of Shariah law in U.S. state court cases; yet we found 50 significant cases just from the small sample of appellate published cases. Others have asserted with certainty that state court judges will always reject any foreign law, including Shariah law, when it conflicts with the Constitution or state public policy; yet we found 15 Trial Court cases, and 12 Appellate Court cases, where Shariah was found to be applicable in these particular cases. The facts are the facts: some judges are making decisions deferring to Shariah law even when those decisions conflict with Constitutional protections. Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases includes summaries of several cases in which the court’s application of Shariah law appears to be in direct conflict with Constitutional liberties and the public policies of the state. Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases Version 1.2 / May 18, 2011 (PDF, 635 pages, 2.4 MB) NOTE: In the fifty full-text published court cases, the highlighted search terms are included for the reader’s convenience. For more information, contact the Center for Security Policy www.securefreedom.org to schedule an interview, contact: Travis Korson [email protected] (202)-719-2421 or David Reaboi [email protected] (202) 431-1948

I,pray AMERICA WAKES UP! Please,courts don't allow this to happen here,I,don't want SHARIAH LAW!.......Please all write your congress and our courts and supreme courts.Don't allow this to happen to any one here in AMERICA! WARNING,ITS IN FLA COURT NOW AND POSSIBLE OTHER STATES! What happen to our constitution?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I don't understand what you don't want to happen?, the article is about opposing sharia law and you..I don't even...
Are you for or against sharia law? I want to know before I flag and star your thread...

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by venusstarlite

Here is some more facts>>>>>>
New Study Finds Shariah Law Involved in Court Cases in 23 States

Washington, DC, May 17, 2011 - The Center for Security Policy today released an in-depth study-- Shariah Law and American State Courts: An Assessment of State Appellate Court Cases. The study evaluates 50 appellate court cases from 23 states that involve conflicts between Shariah (Islamic law) and American state law. The analysis finds that Shariah has been applied or formally recognized in state court decisions, in conflict with the Constitution and state public policy.

Some commentators have tried to minimize this problem, claiming, as an editorial in yesterday’s Los Angeles Times put it that, “…There is scant evidence that American judges are resolving cases on the basis of shariah.” To the contrary, our study identified 50 significant cases just from the small sample of appellate court published cases.

Others have asserted with certainty that state court judges will always reject any foreign law, including Shariah law, when it conflicts with the Constitution or state public policy. The Center’s analysis, however, found 15 trial court cases, and 12 appellate court cases, where Shariah was found to be applicable in these particular cases.

The facts are the facts: some judges are making decisions deferring to Shariah law even when those decisions conflict with constitutional protections.

At the trial court level, 22 decisions were found that refused to apply Shariah; 15 were found to have utilized or recognized Shariah; 9 were indeterminate; and in 4 cases Shariah was not applicable to the decision at this level, but was applicable at the appellate level. At the appellate Court level: 23 decisions were found that refused to apply Shariah; 12 were found to have utilized or recognized Shariah; 8 were indeterminate; and in 7 cases Shariah was not applicable to the decision, but had been applicable at the trial court level. The 50 cases were classified into seven distinct “Categories” of dispute: 21 cases dealt with “Shariah Marriage Law”; 17 cases involved “Child Custody”; 5 dealt with “Shariah Contract Law”; 3 dealt with general “Shariah Doctrine”; 2 were concerned with “Shariah Property Law”; 1 dealt with “Due Process/Equal Protection” and 1 dealt with the combined “Shariah Marriage Law/Child Custody.” The 50 cases were based in 23 different states: 6 cases were found in New Jersey; 5 in California; 4 each in Florida, Massachusetts and Washington; 3 each in Maryland, Texas and Virginia; 2 each in Louisiana and Nebraska; and 1 each in Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, Ohio and South Carolina.

This study represents a timely contribution to the debate developing around the country: To what extent is the Islamic politico-military-legal doctrine of Shariah being insinuated into the United States? The analysis complements and powerfully reinforces the warnings contained in the Center’s bestselling 2010 “Team B II” Report, Shariah: The Threat to America. It confirms that Shariah’s adherents are making a concerted effort to bring their anti-constitutional code to this country. “Together with follow-on analyses now in preparation, we hope to equip those who share the Center’s commitment to the Constitution of the United States, to the liberties it guarantees and to the democratic government it mandates to thwart those like the Muslim Brotherhood who would supplant freedom with Shariah law. Clearly, we must work to keep America Shariah-free, or risk inexorably losing the country we love.” The full text of the study, including text from the court cases and tables displaying the findings, can be found at www.ShariahInAmericanCourts.com

Oh,AMERICA WE ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE.................

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by i am just saying

I,am totally against SHARIAH LAW,I,don't want it here,and we need to protect all from being judged with SHARIAH LAW.Muslims want this here in USA ,JUST LIKE IN THEIR COUNTRY.Thanks for asking.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
it is time we look up the law and use it for this seems to be a case of treason, .... "shall defend against foreign and domestic" and this is the case for the latter. and for you that do not know www.newworldencyclopedia.org...
edit on 19-5-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Good to hear, star and flag.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I,agree,we need to ask a att...............What is our rights and others.This is a very serious problem.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Muslims want this here in USA ,JUST LIKE IN THEIR COUNTRY.

Oh, so you can't be American and Muslim at the same time? Wow.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well so much for separation of church and state ... wait a minute ... never mind, that been absolved when Bush was in power.

Anywho, while I was reading this I couldn't help but think of this song the entire time.

edit on 19-5-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
here is the law

Section 3: Treason

Section 3 defines treason and its punishment.
“ Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

The Constitution defines treason as specific acts, namely "levying War against [the United States], or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." A contrast is therefore maintained with the English law, whereby a variety of crimes, including conspiring to kill the King or "violating" the Queen, were punishable as treason. In Ex Parte Bollman, 8 U.S. 75 (1807), the Supreme Court ruled that "there must be an actual assembling of men, for the treasonable purpose, to constitute a levying of war."[13]

Under English law effective during the ratification of the U.S. Constitution, there were essentially five species of treason.[citation needed] Of the five, the Constitution adopted only two: levying war and adhering to enemies. Omitted were species of treason involving encompassing (or imagining) the death of the king, certain types of counterfeiting, and finally fornication with women in the royal family of the sort which could call into question the parentage of successors. James Wilson wrote the original draft of this section, and he was involved as a defense attorney for some accused of treason against the Patriot cause.

Section 3 also requires the testimony of two different witnesses on the same overt act, or a confession by the accused in open court, to convict for treason. This rule was derived from an older English statute, the Treason Act 1695. In Cramer v. United States, 325 U.S. 1 (1945), the Supreme Court ruled that "[e]very act, movement, deed, and word of the defendant charged to constitute treason must be supported by the testimony of two witnesses."[14] In Haupt v. United States, 330 U.S. 631 (1947), however, the Supreme Court found that two witnesses are not required to prove intent; nor are two witnesses required to prove that an overt act is treasonable. The two witnesses, according to the decision, are required to prove only that the overt act occurred (eyewitnesses and federal agents investigating the crime, for example).
will you stand or will you fall?

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The fear and paranoia over the so-called transition to Sharia Law in the United States is a complete and utter joke. There is no way that such a minority--not only in religion but politics as well--will be able to successfully implement anything remotely close to Sharia Law in the United States. The courts simply won’t allow it.

You're wasting your time worrying about this.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

wow,thanks for information..

In law, treason is the crime of disloyalty to one's nation. A person who betrays the nation of their citizenship and/or reneges on an oath of loyalty and in some way willfully cooperates with an enemy, is considered to be a traitor. Traitorous acts include helping a foreign government to overthrow or make war against one's own state, conspiring by oneself to overthrow the government, and killing a head of state. The similar offense of sedition need not involve acts against the government, but rather is the act of inciting insurrection or rebellion. The punishment for treason varies by nation, though is typically harsh so as to discourage the action. Historically, treason was considered the worst crime and drew the harshest penalties. In England, punishment for treason went beyond the standard execution by hanging, invoking the horrific drawing and quartering. However, the charge of treason was greatly abused by monarchs, who used it to remove their opponents. Thus, the United States Constitution restricts the definition of treason, and denies Congress the authority to reshape the offense. Today, acts of treason in the traditional sense are less common, given the changes in political structure and increasing globalization. Many of those conspiring and acting against authority, particularly terrorists, do not necessarily act against a particular government, but rather against an ideology or for a cause that goes beyond statehood. Thus, some governments have declared an act of treason to include support for organizations deemed a threat, such as al-Qaeda. Treason has always been viewed as the most serious offense, for it is an act against not only an individual but against the society as a whole, embodied in the ruling authority whether individually in the monarch or collectively as government. It is indeed the act or attempt to "murder" one's nation. While harsh penalties have been used in attempts to deter traitors, the very reason that such acts are considered the worst of crimes are the same ones that drive people to commit them. While people are dissatisfied with human society and find no comfort or recognition from its leaders, they will be tempted, even forced to rebel against those that lead their own "home," violating the relationship of trust that should exist. The only way that treason and sedition can be eliminated is by the emergence of true authority, able to care for all the people with a parental heart that embraces and allows each to fulfill their own potential as individuals, feeling value and valued through their relationships and contributions to society.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kemal

I,didn't say that,I,just don't want it imposed on me,and if Muslims women are here in USA,they should have the right to be protected from this.That is our freedom here in USA.We,don't go by SHARIAH LAW.I,am a woman and don't want this imposed on me or on other women.They are asking us AMERICA to protect them and we aren't.By what these courts are doing.Equal rights here,freedom here in america and we have constitutionally rights for all here.I,am not against Muslims,I,am against shariah law,and for it to be imposed here in USA.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon102

LOL,WHAT A SONG..............

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Judge_Holden

Maybe,but look courts are allowing it here in AMERICA.............Can we fight the courts? We,may not want here,but it looks like its here now,in 23 states. So,my dear friend,I,will worry and watch.and seek out information on this.I,am a woman and I,don't want it,and neither does any other woman.Man may,but woman don't want it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is America and we should have our laws not anyone elses. Our laws should protect the muslim women.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Ok, for starters Sharia law can NEVER supercede the law of the land i.e. American law. Period.

For seconds, America already allows religious courts and religious rulings over civil matters. You have Beth Dincourts for Jews, which are very common in USA, and even Cannon Law for Roman Catholics.

Where is your uproar at Beth Din courts being used? They've been in operation in USA for a long time and no one cared.

If you argue that Sharia law should not apply, then Americans should be speaking out against Beth Din too. To allow one and not the other is simply hypocritical.

Thirdly, religious courts deal with civil matters only. Marriage, divorce, inheritance, and business/financial issues. Any ruling must comply with US law and can be overruled by US courts.
edit on 20-5-2011 by Nammu because: adding more info

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Absolutely correct,

This is another case of people ignorant of what Sharia Law actually is.

The main point here is that is NOT being imposed on anyone, Muslims are allowed to REQUEST Sharia ruling in disputes. Sharia Law will never take over from a countries law, it is allowed however to co-exist, welcome to a multicultural society!
edit on 20-5-2011 by Truth_Hz because: spelling!

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

AMEN AMEN

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I,am so sorry,I,have never heard of Beth,can you please let me know about her.So,I,can check on this matter.Then,I,will give my view on her to.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join