It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle brings big-bucks magnet to space station

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

And I gotta say, dude - Only four flags? That really ticks me off. This should be BIG NEWS on ATS. This is a conspiracy site, for gods sake and this payload smacks of shadowy government and hidden advanced technology plans, if you ask me...

thetruthabout1111awakeningcode.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by weareallone52

And I gotta say, dude - Only four flags? That really ticks me off. This should be BIG NEWS on ATS. This is a conspiracy site, for gods sake and this payload smacks of shadowy government and hidden advanced technology plans, if you ask me...

thetruthabout1111awakeningcode.blogspot.com...

Why does it "Smack" of secrecy? You quote your own site; don't provide any outside research, and there's no sign the government hasn't been anything but open about the payload of the shuttle, at least as far we can know. Come back with something a little more concrete and it may catch on.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by weareallone52

Hey, did you hear that China helped build this "payload"? And some Chinese journalists were supposed to cover the launch, and at the last minute they were banned? China is quite upset. Here is link to article I found on it.

This guy?

Endeavour shuttle commander Mark Kelly, left, and Nobel laureate Sam Ting (principal investigator for the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer) look over the instrument as it sits in a work stand at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Kelly will command the STS-134 mission to take the AMS to the International Space Station. The cutting edge instrument is the brainchild of Ting.
CREDIT: NASA/Cory Huston

SPACE.com: How do you think you'll feel when Endeavour launches AMS?

Ting: When things are very important, I'm normally quite calm. [Photos: Shuttle Endeavour's Final Voyage]

I have to go to the control room to tell them "go" or "no go." I already made up my mind, I'm going to say "go."

Space.com
Ting's Wiki

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
yes lets find out how the univers works.
and not spend the money getting earth to work.
well mankind.

keep an eye on where it points.
at earth? laser cannon?
or a better haarp.

and the Magnet will pull all the space junk to it.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Its not a magnet in a Ferromagnetic way.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Looks like it - HA!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

So "they" say...But who really knows?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by weareallone52

A cloud in the sky looks like Goofy, but I know it is not the real cartoon Goofy.

What it looks like to the uneducated is inconsequential. Layman term it means jack excrement.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
From the Wiki article it sounded like a failure. The AMS-01 version of the detector went up in 1998 and detected no anti helium. They are just sending up the previously developed and implemented non cryogenic magnet system that has already been in use for 13 years? Who the heck is Sam Ting at MIT? Sounds like the NIST disinfo about advanced atomic clocks, at least its so totally bogus we won't waste much time wondering what the real payload is.

A cryogenic, superconducting magnet system was developed for the AMS-02. This was a critical technology, enabling a high sensitivity needed to achieve mission objectives. Late in its development, poorly understood anomalous heating in the cryogenic magnet system was discovered. The anomalous heating would place additional demand on the cryogenic cooling. This characteristic significantly reduced the original system design lifetime and contributed to a decision to abandon the cryogenic system in favor of a previously developed but less capable permanent magnet system. The impact on the original mission objectives has not been described.

edit on 22-5-2011 by Bordon81 because: (no reason given)

jra

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bordon81
From the Wiki article it sounded like a failure. The AMS-01 version of the detector went up in 1998 and detected no anti helium.

What Wiki article were you reading?

AMS-01

An AMS prototype designated AMS-01, a simplified version of the detector, was built by the international consortium under Ting's direction and flown into space aboard the Space Shuttle Discovery on STS-91 in June 1998. By not detecting any antihelium the AMS-01 established an upper limit of 1.1×10−6 for the antihelium to helium flux ratio and proved that the detector concept worked in space.

Sounds like anything but a failure to me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join