It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian Farmers Commit Suicide Due To Devastation Caused By GM Crops

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Indian Farmers Commit Suicide Due To Devastation Caused By GM Crops

www.naturalnews.com

Foundational changes that have taken place in the agriculture sector of India have led to a epidemic of farmer suicides over the past 16 years, according to a new report. Released by the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice at New York University's (NYU) Law School, the report explains that, on average, one Indian farmer commits suicide every 30 minutes in response to the devastation caused by the effects of globalization on agriculture, and genetically-modified organisms (GMO)
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.globalresearch.ca

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
More Problems with Glyphosate: US Rice Growers Sound the Alarm

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Indian farmers have been scammed by multinational bio giant corporations such as MONSANTO and BAYER as they adopted GM crops based on deceitful claims that GM crops would improve yields and essentially save the world; absolutely baseless claims!

Yet GMO advances worldwide, well except at the White House dinner table!

The report, entitled, "Every Thirty Minutes: Farmer Suicides, Human Rights and the Agrarian Crisis in India," was published on May 12, 1011.

Every 30 Minutes Farmer Suicides
www.chrgj.org...

It is estimated that more than a quarter of a million Indian farmers have committed suicide
in the last 16 years—the largest wave of recorded suicides in human history.

Bayer CropScience contaminated a third of the US rice supply with transgenic rice in 2006, and just this month U.S. Farmers made an Alert that rice crop yeild fell 80 % due to Bayer’s glufosinate and Monsanto’s glyphosate.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Do we really need to know any more about GMO than the people that make it refuse to eat it or even have it served in their corporate cafeteria?

Keep up the great work BTS

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Piano, that pretty much says it all.

Yet somehow the fact that this Corporate Criminal Scam has brought about the largest wave of
suicide in human history just yanks at my soul.

Its too much, and to think that not only Monsato, but The White House too will not serve GMO!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

This is really sad news! I really hope there will be light at the end of this tunnel. There seems to be no action taken to re mediate our situation! Oh how I wish I could change the world!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

You can, pass this news on. It was new news to me just a year ago.
I had no idea that this was happening.

Is sad, its horrible to realize that men sell thier souls for a buck,
and people would rather watch Dancing With The Stars...but interrupt their regular scheduled
programming, and tell them about this.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

We change it by refusing to eat any foods with GMO products.

guide to gmo food

edit... there's even an app for that

edit on 18-5-2011 by pianopraze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Yes, as a matter of principle I have made this a priority.

And not because I want to live forever, not because I am afraid....
However I just refuse to support these criminal corporations as they kill off humble farmers,
children, animals. Its murder by any other name.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here's a good example of the corruption and unethical practices of Monsanto reaching into Canada.

In a nutshell, the wind blows Monsanto seeds over onto a farmer's land and the farmer gets sued for it!

Read on:

www.percyschmeiser.com...
"Percy Schmeiser was mad as hell, and decided he wasn't going to take it.

Schmeiser has been growing canola -- the yellow-blossomed oilseed that used to be known as rapeseed -- for 40 years, and he knows his stuff. He's been experimenting, developing his own varieties, using his own seed and generally prospering with canola. reaping the benefits derived from growing an increasingly popular crop.

So when Monsanto, the giant multinational agro-chemical company that is at the forefront of developing genetically modified foods, accused him of patent infringement and demanded restitution for its seeds, his pride was hurt. He chose to fight rather than roll over and take it."

The company sells the seed -- about half the canola planted in Saskatchewan this year comes from it -- but keeps the rights to the DNA itself. It means that, rather than save seeds from last year's crop to use this year, as many do -- and as Schmeiser traditionally does -- farmers have to buy new seed from Monsanto each year.

In order to protect its investment, Monsanto has been vigilant in rooting out frugal farmers who might be cheating and saving seed, or borrowing a bit of seed from neighbours.

Farmers buying Monsanto's seed must sign a contract promising to buy fresh seed every year. And they must let Monsanto inspect their fields."

The Battle Excerpt from Macleans Magazine May 17, 1999. Article by Mark Nichols "For 40 years, Percy Schmeiser has grown canola on his farm near Bruno, Sask., about 80 km east of Saskatoon, usually sowing each crop of the oil-rich plants with seeds saved from the previous harvest. And he has never, says Schmeiser, purchased seed from the St. Louis, Mo.-based agricultural and biotechnology giant Monsanto Co.

Even so, he says that more than 320 hectares of his land is now "contaminated" by Monsanto's herbicide-resistant Roundup Ready canola, a man made variety produced by a controversial process known as genetic engineering. And, like hundreds of other North American farmer, Schmeiser has felt the sting of Monsanto's long legal arm: last August the company took the 68-year-old farmer to court, claiming he illegally planted the firm's canola without paying a $37-per-hectare fee for the privilege. Unlike scores of similarly accused North American farmers who have reached out-of-court settlements with Monsanto, Schmeiser fought back. He claims Monsanto investigators trespassed on his land -- and that company seed could easily have blown on to his soil from passing canola-laden trucks. "I never put those plants on my land," says Schmeiser. "The question is, where do Monsanto's rights end and mine begin?

More here:

www.percyschmeiser.com...

Hit post before I could finish. This proves that the little can win if he doesn't give in.

Small Farmer Wins Moral Victory Over Monsanto

www.naturalnews.com...

(NaturalNews) Percy Schmeiser has a check for $660 and a Right Livelihood Award to prove that sometimes the little guy wins. In a modern version of the David vs. Goliath story, a 77 year-old Saskatchewan farmer and his wife are now considered folk heroes following settlement of their legal battle with agribusiness giant Monsanto Canada Inc., after the company sued them for patent violation of genetically engineered canola seeds in 1997.

edit on 18-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

So true! The past year I have seen a lot of changes in the world I reside in. I began to wonder if others noticed the change.... was it just me?.... Observing in silence, all the while doing my own investigative work to find out if it was just me, or if change on a drastic level was truly happening. Obviously the latter was confirmed within my own reality and I began asking people close to me if they too see things the way I do. ONLY a few seemed to notice and the rest just laughed or simply did not want to discuss. They would rather watch Dancing with the Stars or American Idol....I have about 2000 friends on FB and I cannot tell you how many times I read someones status and wonder which world they live in. SO complacent is our society.

With that said, I feel a sense of urgency to scream at people and tell them to WAKE UP already! The only way I can make a change is to first change within which I have done over the years even without the sense of urgency. The second change would have to come from other peoples will to see truth and then to also make the change for themselves. This world we live in has become so sick with hate, its truly upsetting how we as humans treat the other. No regards for others happiness at all!

May the love of the light sooth men's (and women) soul!

Peace to you and thank you for this info.!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great information there my freind, thanks for your post!

I half wonder if they dont go around with bags of GMO seed when the wind is blowing.

David vs Monsanto

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by jude11

Great information there my freind, thanks for your post!

I half wonder if they dont go around with bags of GMO seed when the wind is blowing.

Hit post before I could finish. This proves that the little can win if he doesn't give in.

Small Farmer Wins Moral Victory Over Monsanto

www.naturalnews.com...

(NaturalNews) Percy Schmeiser has a check for $660 and a Right Livelihood Award to prove that sometimes the little guy wins. In a modern version of the David vs. Goliath story, a 77 year-old Saskatchewan farmer and his wife are now considered folk heroes following settlement of their legal battle with agribusiness giant Monsanto Canada Inc., after the company sued them for patent violation of genetically engineered canola seeds in 1997.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There must be a way to turn this hopeless situation around...

I assume, I think rightfully so, that the majority of humanity would seek to ban this
campaign of evil. Even with so much potential support, this same sort of evil seems to be spewing forth from
every direction. It is advantages to take advantage, to abuse and act unconscionably... Monsanto needs their charter revoked

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The EU as dictatorial as it has been in most matters, has never allowed GM seeds/crops to be available in europe. I think Monsanto was pressuring the EU recently to allow for a percentage of the marketshare and I have no idea what became of the story.

I would never knowingly eat GM food unless I was piss poor. But then again I bet a lot of the pre-packaged food we purchase at the supermarket are full of GM ingredients. I also don't trust preservatives or artificial colorations in my food.

Do we really have a choice in anything anymore? Its not just africa, south america and asia, the disease of greed/corruption/evil is spreading to north america and europe. We should blame the bankers and transnational corporations who control our politicians to almost every whim of theirs. The population is reaching slave status!

What is it when corporations merge with government according to mussolini? FASCISM

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Check this Link below

Opposition Against GM Crops

www.gmwatch.org...

Banning GM crops from M P in different states in INDIA So we have already started Banning and There is Sufficient Organic Food in My state and Farmer's are well educated not to use GM crops,Farmer's are still following old tradition for growing crops and vegetables.

www.thehindu.com...

There is Callcenter for Farmers were Small Activity Groups sending Effects of GM Food Free DVDS to all Village in Many Languages through underground.(can't share the video or link sorry)

i have seen Agent responding No to GM food Guiding the Farmers towards organic
60 % percent of farmers are aware of this Invasion of GM food

LINK for the call center

agritech.tnau.ac.in...

With combined support of Indian Students we are Fighting Big Corp Like GM
edit on 18-5-2011 by Arcot because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2011 by Arcot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Funny... Dwarf Wheat worked back in the day....

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

This is terrible man

The corporate sociopaths force there GM poison on honest, hard-working people, and leave them with nothing to survive on, their livelihoods devastated, and nothing left to live for

Will we ever be rid of robbing, soul-less, corporate vermin?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcot

9 times out of 10, when you mess with nature, then nature will mess with you. People wonder why there are so many obese people, sick people with uncurable diseases, people who on average live only to 75 but we neglect what we eat, what we breath and what we drink.

Polluted water from sewage, polluted air from nuclear radiation, polluted food with experimental ingredients.

Maybe I am being overly paranoid but I don't trust a government that does not care about the rules it passes and the people it rules. The testing done on all this new stuff is too prelliminary and does not take into account the "side-effects" 10 years and beyond. Its all about making it safe enough to sell on the market TODAY so that people will be unsuspecting of their future.

And yes crop failures are part of the picture. Sorry for my "off-topic" rant!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I would agree the majority of people would want GMO's banned.

GMO's were only introduced into the food supply in the 1990's...
Europe did have a ban on GMO but the MONSANTO minions have branched of
and are now heavy at top in the FDA, and the FDA behaves more like a protective branch of
MONSANTO.

Its going to be hard to reverse this trend.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Monsanto has also infiltrated the UN and the international trade regulators tables as well.

They are central to the development and propagation of the Codex Alimentarium which according to some will eventually, if universally adopted (and it's well on it's way,) will lead to global malnutrition; which Big Pharma should be poised to remedy profitably .... go figure

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join