It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we all try to make other people believe what we believe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Tell me I'm wrong. If you're a Christian you will tirelessly argue your point, and if you're an atheist you'll do the same. If you're pro-choice you will argue with anyone who doesn't share the same belief until they agree or walk away. If you're pro-life you'll do the same. If you believe we shouldn't test on animals, you'll throw blood on people and all that PETA crap. If you are against animal rights you'll wear bear skin at PETA rallies just to spite them.

The arguments are endless. They can be as mundane as proper whiping technique after taking a poop, or as complex as the meaning of life. We all develop our own line of thinking and for the most part, maintain that same line of thinking until we die. Sometimes we might change our mind about things, but it's not usually because of an argument we have with someone else who gets us to see the other side. At least in my case, when I have changed my mind, it was done on my own.

The fact is, we are all guilty of this behavior. We all argue tirelessly about the dumbest of things. Go to a youtube video of anything and read the comments. It's all just a bunch of arguing and calling people names. I know that's just the internet and real life isn't always like that, but in real life we do argue with people over our point of view all the time.

Why do we do this? Why is it that our human psychology dictates that we must argue our point to the death, when it is simply an exercise in futility? We're not going to change each other's mind, so why do we even try? We need to just live and let live.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
tell the ones with the guns
this

or the ones with the bombs
and hand cuffs

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Michelangelo

I think maybe we get addicted to conflict.
I think there is plenty to be learned from an argument, but if it is just for the sake of an argument with nothing to be gained then it gets annoying.
We all have our own perspectives. We should appreciate our own individual perspective but be open minded to seeing others. This is the way I try to live my life, anyhow.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It is all an exercise in futility indeed. Perhaps we do it for the lulz?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure of it.

Very excellent post op.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's your EGO...It has to be right all the time or it feels bad....Forget your ego, quit arguing...it doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong when it comes to you thinking you must always win at everything....Truth only matters to you....You don't have to make everyone believe it...As long as you know know what you think is your truth be happy with it...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Because we did not evolve from primates we still are primates. I want food/mating get off! No matter how we sophisticate it, and we should, dealing with our base instincts is always going to be a problem. What's the cliche........aaggghhhh Human Nature.
The idea of our claim to be some higher form of life is how we resolve these issues.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
der Wille zur Macht

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well, we try to convince people to think like us, because we are all making this world what it is, together. And it's easier to co-operate with like minded people.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Well, the guy who thinks he has a right to eat MY lunch
had better come around to my way of thinking,
or not...
In either case, it is my lunch
I'll be eating it myself
thank you

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Not all of us always do that. Sometimes we argue with people because we're in a mood to argue, or we want somebody to admit to an underlying motive for their professed belief, such as certain male pro-lifers just outright hate the idea of women having rights but won't admit that because they realize it's a screwed up belief to hold.

There are an ample number of people who will happily accept that other people aren't the same as them, and indeed embrace that difference for the fact that creating a world in which everyone can choose their own paths from the variety of the human condition benefits everyone involved. All they ask in return is the same respect that they're giving to others, and that doesn't come down to an argument for any ideology or another, it comes down as an argument for basic human decency towards each other...and at the end of the day, only psychopaths and narcissists can disagree with that.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think we are programmed to project our thoughts and feelings onto others in the hopes that we find a like spirit and also a bit of empathy. A bit of camaraderie, perhaps? Ingrained social networking?

I've wondered about something along a similar line myself. I don't think that we try to "make" another believe what we believe. I am pretty sure that we all know that all humans have different values and goals and that we (for the most part) respect and work with those differences. But, we like to know that we share some commonalities. Differing faiths and values can instill a sense of isolation in a lot of folks. Isolation can lead to a sense of fear. So, we work hard on trying to get the other to see and believe as we do.

I really don't think that means that there is something wrong with people in general. I actually believe that it lends itself to a sense of community. Churches, political parties, skin color, national boundaries can and do lead to strong foundations. They can also lead to a false sense of righteousness.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Personally I couldn't careless what anyone does /believes, just don't be knocking on my door selling your inadequate religion/opinion. If you want to ride down the middle of the street naked on a rainbow colored unicorn smoking a fattie screaming " the rapture is coming" I'll sit on my porch mildly amused by it, just please don't stop and try to make me come along for the ride. I know what I believe and I like my beliefs just the way they are, I don't feel a need to change them right now. Yea we all have opinions and we all should be able to voice them without getting attacked online or offline, but it happens. Some people can let it roll off their backs and just see that the attacker is just insecure in their beliefs and NEEDS to convert everyone in their path to their way of thinking to validate what they think is right. I look at it this way if you voice your opinion and then have to keep going back to argue your point because some disagrees with you, then you are not secure in your beliefs and maybe you should reevaluate what you are saying you belief in. Otherwise to each his/her own, in all honestly if people would stop and read others opinions and think about it for a while before giving into the need to correct all the people on the interwebs that are WRONG there would be a lot less attacking. Like the age old saying goes, cooler heads will prevail.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would imagine it stems from a feeling of insecurity and the need for reassurance of ones own beliefs. The simple fact that we truly have no idea what this is all about scares many people. When your idea becomes a common belief of the majority, it adds false sense of security to its originator and followers, thus bringing a peace of mind.

Just an idea...... who knows.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Not everyone does this, a few of us just mind our own business most of the time. I do sometimes throw in a comment or 2 when someone seems to be putting forth a really stupid or wrong idea ...but most of the time I don't bother because there really isn't any point, people don't change their minds.
It also seems like the people that push ideas the hardest are the most insecure.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Because my points of view and belief systems are the right ones, and all I'm doing is trying to make the knuckle-dragging Neanderthals among us more enlightened to the truth!

I swear to God it's like banging my head up against a wall!!

Seriously though, I don't do that sort of thing anymore. I used to when I was younger, but I came to the conclusion that you can't change peoples' minds about things, they have to do that on their own, if indeed they do it at all.

The people who still practice the art of argument, not debate mind you, but argument, still haven't matured to the point where they recognize it for what it is: an exercise in futility.

Knuckle-dragging Neanderthals I swear.

edit on 17-5-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: spelling

edit on 17-5-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: "

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Well, I don’t. I just enjoy ridiculing the poor fools who believe something different.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
i hate arguing, i dont do it alot, i debate with someone on something, but when it gets to the point where the debate is an argument, i drop it.

we all live different lives, we all see things differently therefore no one is right and no one is wrong. at least thats how i see it

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
because we are all right, and we are all wrong. about some things more then others but we all know one thing another doesn't

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Good question. I came to a conclusion that may or may not explain the answer, but definitely might add clue into it. People who have a belief, often but I won't say always, want to feel confident in their belief. The more people around them that believe in what they do, the more confident they are in what they believe.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
It's your EGO...It has to be right all the time or it feels bad....

My ego is bigger and better than your ego.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join