It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly Police Harass, Threaten to Shoot Man Legally Carrying Gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcade425
Also I would like to note I never agreed that the officers were treating him right. All I said was they were doing their jobs. Trust me I go to the Philadelphia Archery and Gun range at least three times a month. Most of the Philadelphia Police go there to practice. They always say "Whatever you do, do not open carry". It causes a lot of frustration in center city when 20 cops have one guy at gun point for open carring. I open carry everywhere outside the city of Philadelphia.

I know that you don't agree with the officers treatment of the guy. I still say that they weren't doing their job though. They were bullying the guy. Again, and this is where you and I will have to agree to disagree, I would tell that cop that said "whatever you do, don't open carry" to kiss my a$$, in a more tactful way of course. I could care less about the frustration that it causes... that is the cops problem, not mine. Why are cops so afraid of someone carrying openly? You would think that they would prefer it because then they could see who has a gun and who doesn't. The fact that a cop in Philly, or anywhere else, has such a distrust for a citizen exercising his/her right is disturbing to me to say the least, and I consider it a form of profiling.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I just know,respect begets respect.You would think that the officer,who are being paid for by this mans tax dollars, would show some. If you listen to the audio,you will clearly hear how the LEO treats him.With immediate disrespect. If you cant do your job,without some sort of decency,you need to find another Job. They still tried charging him,even after the fact.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I hate to say this comes from Fox News - but here is a bit of an update to this story....

A new investigation was launched, and last month the District Attorney's Office decided to charge Fiorino with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police... He's scheduled for trial in July.

www.foxbusiness.com...[edit by]edit on 16-5-2011 by TSearchX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
In Nevada we can open carry at will and many do. You are not required to have a CCW if you are open carrying and the cops don't mess with you over it.

I open carry all the time and am often seen by police doing so. They nod, I nod, and we move on. The only time the cops have talked to me about my openly carried gun is to ask questions about the type and reliability of the weapon. I wasn't stopped for it, It was just a friendly inquiry.

God I love Nevada.

What happened to this man was totally wrong. It is my hope that most states start to resemble NV or AZ laws more closely. It would change the culture and it would change the way cops deal with the armed populace.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Originally posted by TSearchX
I hate to say this comes from Fox News - but here is a bit of an update to this story....

A new investigation was launched, and last month the District Attorney's Office decided to charge Fiorino with reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct because, a spokeswoman said, he refused to cooperate with police... He's scheduled for trial in July.

Of course, they have to charge him with something to save a little face and justify their existence.
edit on 16-5-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

What happened to this man was totally wrong. It is my hope that most states start to resemble NV or AZ laws more closely. It would change the culture and it would change the way cops deal with the armed populace.

Absolutely. I am not anti-Police,and I have 2 friends that are officers. The LEO's need to do a better job at LEARNING the laws,they are supposed to enforce. This "whole "gang in blue",needs a MAJOR retooling.The Police culture is this: Everyone is packing,everyone is a criminal,let the courts decide,at the end of the day. I live in a State where its illegal to conceal a firearm. I have family that moved from this state,because they believe firmly,in the right to bear arms. I also have family,that served our great country,and a Grandfather who served in WW2. This country is a Police State. Its very sad.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Devil's Advocate here....

Any officer that conducts a traffic stop and notices a weapon in plain view is immediately going to go on the defensive and ask for permits. He's not going to just nod and say "Nice piece - how does it handle?" and then go on his merry way. And if you think that he should 'realize' that you wouldn't be open carrying if you weren't legal, then you are sorely mistaken. *Nobody* gets the benefit of the doubt, and that's the way it should be, imo. They are confronted daily with the dregs of society, and with the suburban doctor that just mass murdered his family. Self preservation demands that they assume the worst and act cautiously.

Things are different in sparsely populated western states as opposed to major cities. Out west, you may not get more than a nod, but that cop is watching you whether you realize it or not. If I'm a cop and I see someone carrying in open sight among hundreds of people, Ima investigate.

As for "eroding of rights" and "police state" claims, that is pure hysteria or your part. The people that bring such attention to themselves by oc'ing in a crowded city are the ones who are ruining it for all of us.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Devil's Advocate here....

Any officer that conducts a traffic stop and notices a weapon in plain view is immediately going to go on the defensive and ask for permits. He's not going to just nod and say "Nice piece - how does it handle?" and then go on his merry way. And if you think that he should 'realize' that you wouldn't be open carrying if you weren't legal, then you are sorely mistaken. *Nobody* gets the benefit of the doubt, and that's the way it should be, imo. They are confronted daily with the dregs of society, and with the suburban doctor that just mass murdered his family. Self preservation demands that they assume the worst and act cautiously.

Things are different in sparsely populated western states as opposed to major cities. Out west, you may not get more than a nod, but that cop is watching you whether you realize it or not. If I'm a cop and I see someone carrying in open sight among hundreds of people, Ima investigate.

As for "eroding of rights" and "police state" claims, that is pure hysteria or your part. The people that bring such attention to themselves by oc'ing in a crowded city are the ones who are ruining it for all of us.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

As for "eroding of rights" and "police state" claims, that is pure hysteria or your part.

Here are the 14 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this weekend, May 14-15, 2011:

A Minneapolis MN police officer was sentenced to 1 year in prison for molesting three female relatives for over a decade. He was also a school resource officer for 10 years. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/k1j2Tl

A Taft TX police officer was fired & arrested on sexual assault of a child charges after the alleged victim’s parents called police and sparked an investigation. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/l51N2n

A Mesa AZ police officer is the subject of a lawsuit by the family of an 81-year-old woman who was killed in a crash involving that officer when he was speeding to a theft call without his lights or siren activated. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/jYvifo

Paterson NJ settled suit for $15,000 to a man claiming he was beaten by police following a chase, the police claim he was injured in a car crash instead. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/lPD7J1

Benicia CA settled suit for $620,000 to a man claiming police harassed him through a series of unwarranted arrests and searches when he challenged a his arrest on DUI charges when police illegally entered his home. [3] http://(link tracking not allowed)/ixef95

Beloit WI lost a lawsuit for $1,495,000 to two ex-cops who claimed claimed they were retaliated against for speaking out about the police chief’s misconduct. [4] http://(link tracking not allowed)/lHrjmE

The Adams County CO sheriff lost a lawsuit for $100,000 to a deputy who was demoted and subjected to multiple investigations when he ran against him in his re-election bid. [3] http://(link tracking not allowed)/mLiK3y

The Bellefontaine OH police chief resigned prior to an investigation into allegations of dishonesty in a high-profile murder and man-hunt case. [3] http://(link tracking not allowed)/jA8NXy

Two Milwaukee County WI deputies were arrested over the weekend, one was arrested on domestic violence allegations and the other was on an unspecified charge after an off-duty car accident. [2] http://(link tracking not allowed)/jc2gAI

A Lansing MI police officer was sentenced to 10 days in jail for failing to pay for gas on at least three occasions at different gas stations. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/j9qMQP

A Weehawken NJ police sergeant was the subject of an unspecified criminal investigation when he apparently attempted suicide and sparked a massive search operation as a result. [2] http://(link tracking not allowed)/kuztGz

A Detroit MI police officer who was the subject of several lawsuits and was known for shooting 9 people in 6 years was fired, pending appeal, on time sheet fraud allegations. [2] http://(link tracking not allowed)/ipfv7P

A Polk County FL deputy was suspended 16 hours for demanding identification from several Burger King employees then calling a friend who was a local police officer in an effort to have them arrested for making a mistake on his wife’s drive-thru order. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/jp7c0B

A Clarenden Hills IL police officer was arrested on allegations that he stole five firearms that were collected through the department’s “turn in” program. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/lO5hqf

Before I go I did want to mention that I have heard, and received several emails, about the report where two New York NY police officers were named as “persons of interest” in the investigation over what’s now being termed as the Long Island Killings. Apparently they are among a number of possible persons of interest because of their disciplinary history involving prostitutes since the victims of those killings were prostitutes as well. This report, however, doesn’t currently qualify for entry in our database yet because no allegation has been made against either officer specifically and one of the two is a former officer who wasn’t an officer at the time of the alleged incidents. But, it is a case we’re watching to see if formal allegations or charges are made.

Injustice Everywhere

Sorry,the lines are blurred. I dont know who the criminals are anymore.........

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Originally posted by mishigas

As for "eroding of rights" and "police state" claims, that is pure hysteria or your part.

Here are the 14 reports of police misconduct tracked in our National Police Misconduct News Feed for this weekend, May 14-15, 2011:

Sorry, but which of those 14 are examples of eroding of rights or a police state?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Really,you believe that this country isnt one?

U.S. police increasingly view private email, instant messages

Our Militarized Police Departments

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Could go on and on.....

And the 14 instances I showed you are a DAILY occurrence. Believe what you like,but call a spade a spade.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Really,you believe that this country isnt one?

U.S. police increasingly view private email, instant messages

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

Could go on and on.....

The US is absolutely NOT a police state. What kind of examples did you give? Let's take the first one:

A Minneapolis MN police officer was sentenced to 1 year in prison for molesting three female relatives for over a decade. He was also a school resource officer for 10 years. [0] http://(link tracking not allowed)/k1j2T

How on God's green earth can you twist that into a police state or erosion of rights? Every day there are dozens of examples of school teachers accused of sexual molestation. Does that make us a "teacher state"?

Now let's take a look at the 3 headlines you just supplied:

I’m here to talk about police militarization, a troubling trend that’s been on the rise in America’s police departments over the last 25 years.

Militarization is a broad term that refers to using military-style weapons, tactics, training, uniforms, and even heavy equipment by civilian police departments.

It’s a troubling trend because the military has a very different and distinct role than our domestic peace officers. The military’s job is to annihilate a foreign enemy. The police are supposed to protect us while upholding our constitutional rights. It’s dangerous to conflate the two.

Are you serious? So the police and the military are similar. This is a crime?

Given your involvement in collecting this type of data, I think it's clear that you hate cops.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I have listened to this twice. It becomes obvious that ghetto mentality are running the streets with the cops showing the way. When a person is incapable of communicating without every other word being profanity proves they have a limited vocabulary. In their case it must also mean limited brain capacity. Pennsylvania police have always had a reputation for being corrupt If these cops are an example apparently they are not just hiring the bottom of the barrel they are scraping it. Question is why do they have such low caliber people working for them? No one wants to be party to what is happening .The city doesn't want to pay decent wages so they can't get decent employees? Is it on purpose to help drive unrest of the masses? I am sure now that this threat is off the street they all feel much safer and the crime rate is sure to drop.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Well,given your reply's,you OBVIOUSLY find those in Law Enforcement above the Law,and believe they can do NO wrong.I suppose they shouldn't be held accountable for the criminal activity that some have caused? The Links Ive posted show that the system is HORRIBLY broken,and that a Police State exists,and is growing. Instead of saying your playing "devils advocate" admit,your an "advocate" for this behavior? Im not going to sugarcoat that their job isnt hard,but the line between obeying the law,and above the law is being bent at an alarming rate. You seem to to want to make excuses.I seem to want to shine a light on them.

I gave you examples of Criminals,that wear the badge,that have been caught. The other examples,are why this country is becoming a police state. You can cherry pick,and make excuses as you deem fit. Carry on.
edit on 17-5-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arcade425
Also I would like to note I never agreed that the officers were treating him right. All I said was they were doing their jobs. Trust me I go to the Philadelphia Archery and Gun range at least three times a month. Most of the Philadelphia Police go there to practice. They always say "Whatever you do, do not open carry". It causes a lot of frustration in center city when 20 cops have one guy at gun point for open carring. I open carry everywhere outside the city of Philadelphia.

Sounds like a problem with the police, not a problem with the citizen openly carrying. I'm a concealed permit owner of the state of florida, open carry isn't permitted here, if it were, I'd open carry....

Regardless of the fact it makes some stupid cop nervous. If you live in an open carry state, police should know it's an open carry state, If they see some one openly carrying, it's okay to watch them more then the people not openly carrying, but you still can't detain, point guns at, nor is it a reasonable suspicion a crime is taking place.

Cops over step their bounds, and because they wish to treat honest citizens with such blatant disrespect is all the more reason for people to openly carry.

You basically propose that open carry be made illegal... If they wanna take away open carry, they should do it with legislation, instead of brute force and threats.

I bet you're a lay down kind of man, aren't you?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I think it should be illegal to conceal a weapon. That makes far more sense and is in line with full disclosure.

Keeping it out in the open gives officers the chance to check your permit etc.... anyone hiding one obviously doesn't have a license.

A bonus for the economy ..... Fancy guns and holsters would become popular again.

Imagine getting a Gucci holster for your wife for her birthday.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

If you open carry in Washington they arrest you for inciting public panic if someone calls the police. There is a local movement to open carry to super markets just to get the Liberals who see the gun instantly panic and call the cops.

www.opencarry.org...

the premise is that because it's not illegal in Washington to open carry, then it has to be Legal. Because Washington does not require a law to make something legal (because that's retarded). It's hilarious when the Liberals freak out in parking lots seeing a guy get out of his truck with a pistol on his hip. Unfortunately they are arresting the protesters.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Arcade425

They would be right.. you shouldn't open carry, because every cop that sees you will stop you for a VUF check. It would become incredibly annoying to carry in Philly. I don't advocate open carrying anyways, if it's open and visible that's your weakest defense, anyone attacking you would target your firearm first, possibly wresting it from you, or directly incapacitating you. Concealed they can't know you have it.

What kind of logic is this?

Who is going to openly attack some one with a gun on their hip in hopes that they can disarm that person?

Better yet, here we go;

Concealed, The person doesn't know you have a firearm, it has to be concealed, meaning tucked in a bag, or in an "inconveinent" placement for speed pulling. You get attacked, while you are being attacked, you attempt to draw, and lose control of your fire arm and die as a result.

Open Carry, some one is stupid enough to openly attack you, you see his aggresion and as he approaches you, you rest your hand on your firearm, if he proceeds, you pull it, if he still proceeds you shoot.

I find it, nearly impossible that it's going to get wrestled out of your hands/holster, by anyone..... Unless you simply allow them too...

I mean, really.....

Furthermore, concealed weapons are more dangerous. Criminals don't want you to know they have a weapon... that's like criminal rule number one.....

It would be a really dumb criminal to walk around illegally carrying a firearm in a holster on his hip....

How many cases are there of LEGAL citizens, LEGALLY open carrying, and committing firearm crimes NOT in self defense?

I'd venture to say, you'd be hardpressed to find a single case.... unless he was planning suicide, like anyone else who goes postal...

(In which case, the state of carry is completely irrelevant.....)

P.S.

The only person that would attack you while openly carrying, is some one else with a firearm...

And if you are a criminal, are you gonna target some one who is gonna shoot back, or someone who is gonna be a push over?

Again, I rest my case.

Open carry, is the best defense, because it means you will never have to pull it, let alone fire a shot....

You would have to be mentally insane to attack a person who is authorized to carry lethal weapons.... (by extension, authorized to use lethal force for defense...)

You would be an out right idiot for doing so...

Juss' sayin' man.
edit on 17-5-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by projectvxn

If you open carry in Washington they arrest you for inciting public panic if someone calls the police. There is a local movement to open carry to super markets just to get the Liberals who see the gun instantly panic and call the cops.

www.opencarry.org...

the premise is that because it's not illegal in Washington to open carry, then it has to be Legal. Because Washington does not require a law to make something legal (because that's retarded). It's hilarious when the Liberals freak out in parking lots seeing a guy get out of his truck with a pistol on his hip. Unfortunately they are arresting the protesters.

As for inciting public panic, if something that is legal to do, makes people panic, the people who are panicing, should move out of the open carry state....

What defines justice for panic? My little brother panics when left in the dark... if he's surrounded by friends, his panicing alone can panic other kids present....

This is a "public panic" -- should the police go arrest the dark?

LoL...... what police get away with these days is so laughably hilarious that I dunno how it ever got this bad....

Oh wait, yeah I do.... Police officers aren't even required to graduate highschool, all they need is a G.E.D. and 16 weeks of police academy.....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Wow...Even the liberals in Nevada aren't that stupid.

I usually walk to the corner coffee shop down the road from my house(huge liberal/college kid hang out) and no one freaks out...

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join