It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Came to find out Guns are like tattoos.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A very peculiar thing happened to me about a month ago. I bought my first gun. A Glock 30. Why you might ask? Why the hell not would have to be my answer. Then last friday I got the "itch" and, no, in case you were wondering, not the one that comes with a shot of penecillin. So now I have the Glock 30 and a S&W M&P-15. My next investment will be a gun safe. I never really was one to like guns all too much, but now I've found out that they are pretty neat as long as your not shooting innocent people and all that. Im thinking about making this my new hobby. Im sure there are others here on ATS who share my same view. Does enyone have any advice when it comes to guns?

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

You have just become the example of being open minded and to add to the adage...Try it, you may like it.

They are not so bad are they? Give yourself some time to get used to them and expand your hobby into reloading, that is when it gets real fun and interesting.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

A good formula to go by
Number of guns needed = Number of guns you own +1

I just bought a Glock 27 and love it! Have you thought about getting your CCW?
edit on 16-5-2011 by Evil3unnie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would highly recommend Taurus brand pistols

i got a PT 845 ...it is super light, (28 oz) and highly effective, and very well made.

they are a higher quality than many "popular" brands, and much more inexpensive.

the 1911 model is very nice as well

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I just got back from a 4-day defensive handgun course at Front Sight. I really didn't know what I didn't know. Now at least I know some of what I don't know and can go fix it. My suggestion is to get some serious training on firearms as soon as possible. It's well worthwhile. You'll be a lot safer, and that's good for everyone.

I have a Glock 19, but am looking for a handgun that operates a bit more smoothly. Getting the magazine out quickly is a real pain. One of the guys at the course had a Springfield XD(M) that was really impressive.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Guns are lots of fun, and lots of responsibility.
My personal plan was to purchase enough guns to cover the bases (as best I know them) for a SHTF scenario.

Small game hunting: Ruger 10/22 with 5,000 rounds of 22LR ammo
Home defense: Mossberg 12 Ga, with 500 rounds 00 Buckshot
Handgun: .40 S&W Glock 23 with 5,000 rounds
Backpack Rifle: Kel-Tec Sub 2000 in .40 S&W
Big game hunting: Rock River Arms LAR-8 .308 with 5,000 rounds

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I just bought a new springfield armory 1911. . . love this pistol!
In november I bought my first weapon a Benelli Supernova 12 gauge tactical/assault shotgun loaded to the max. also fun to throw lead around.
My next purchase is an AR-15 unless something cheaper/better pops up by chance.

Yes, it is very addictive but so much fun

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Welcome to the fold. You might find the darned things a bit addictive though!

Without knowing your familiarity with weapons, I'd suggest you take a safety course. Most gun ranges offer them and it's a cheap investment / refresher.

Couple rules to live by for safety's sake:

No gun is ever unloaded: Even if you pop the magazine out and clear the chamber and then leave the room for a second, when you get back to the gun, treat it like it's ready to shoot. Imagine some homicidal gremlin is there and just waiting for the opportunity to chamber a round and take the safety off when your head is turned. If that gun is out of your sight for a moment, treat it like it's ready to kill you or someone else.

Keep your finger off the trigger: Until you've got a target lined up in the sights and have decided to shoot it, don't touch the trigger. Your finger is the best safety there is: no touch, no "bang", plain as that.

Don't point your gun at anything or anyone you aren't ready to shoot.

Practice, practice, practice; shooting is a perishable skill. Plus practice is a good excuse for some range fun

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Evil3unnie

I do plan on getting my CCW eventually. Looks like after i do ill have to go get e a smaller one to fit in my pocket. Maybe a 380

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Reloading is something i believe i could get into. Sounds interesting. I especially like takeing my guns apart and cleaning. Getting a good look at their inner workings.

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Does the taurus brand keep their value?

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zestor

Sweet. Although im not "preparing" for anything I figure if a zombie apocalypse happens i might as well be prepared though.

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Thank you for the tips! I have been around guns most of my life. I did a lot of hunting when i was younger. The Glock was just the first on that i have bought for myself. Ive had a 4-10 and a 243 savage since i was about 12.

One thing i did notice was how much more pistol ammo was than rifle ammo. What gives?

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
One other thing. Can anyone tell me the difference in a m&p-15 and an AR15? I was thinking they were about the same thing.

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

M&P15 is known to be better but basically the same except for quad rail on the AR-15.

xxx

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
One other thing. Can anyone tell me the difference in a m&p-15 and an AR15? I was thinking they were about the same thing.

MOTF!

If you like taking your guns apart you might consider building your own AR15. it is not that difficult and will save you a bunch of money plus you will be intimately familiar with the rifle when done and know exactly what went into it. Spend some time on AR15.com they have some threads that will walk you through the whole process plus you can read lots of reviews of the different manufacturers of AR15's and parts to decide which is the best. Good luck with your new hobby!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have their FFL?

MOTF!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

as far as resale? i have no idea, i would suppose so, since they are well made. never thought about selling it

new topics

top topics

join