It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So um....Four Earthquakes happened today.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Costa Rica, Central Mid-Atlantic Ridge, East Coast of Honshu, Japan and Papua New Guinea

All having a magnitude of 6 to 6.5 range.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
remember dutch your jimmy olsen not superman mike is superman

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Big whoop, earthquakes happen in those area hourly if not more. 6.5 is nothing for those regions.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I certainly hope this isn't the beginning of
something significant. I am anxious to
see what he comes up with on the Madrid.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Newsflash.. there are earthquakes EVERY DAY!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Newsflash.. there are earthquakes EVERY DAY!

True - but not everyday do we have this many
6. quakes in a half a day. IMO its definitely
worth keeping an eye on.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Anyone else think it's odd that there were two small quakes between Rhode Island and Connecticut? A 2.1 and 1.3 both very shallow depths one being .5km. I've been monitoring USGS and Global Incidents for months now on a daily basis and I don't recall ever seeing seismic activity in New England.
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Also very interesting that there's been some significant quakes on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Most recent being a 6.0 at a depth of 10 km. I remember reading somewhere that a quake at a depth of 10km is the product of HAARP but I have no idea if that holds true.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
After the earthquake in Japan i had the USGS website open for days and at first the earthquakes where about 5 minutes apart and then 1-2 days later still pretty much every 20-30 minutes there was a 4+ earthquake.

Don't waste your time on this. Earthquakes won't stop happening and we can't predict them and finding patterns is near impossible.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by hazey

1975-2010
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81555c6438c7.jpg[/atsimg]

while not the norm in my life, it seems that new england is actually earthquake country

"The Northeast has a long history of earthquakes. Some of the first explorers were startled when they experienced strong shaking and rumbling of the earth beneath their feet. The Pilgrims felt their first earthquake in 1638. A recently released report by one of the Northeast's foremost seismologists Dr. John Ebel has shed some light on the possible epicenter and magnitude of the 1638 earthquake. He found that the French colonists on the St. Lawrence River and the English along the Massachusetts coast felt this quake with equal intensity. In order for this to happen he believes the most likely epicenter would be central New Hampshire with a magnitude of 6.5 to 7."

www.nesec.org...
edit on 16-5-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Ah! Very cool! I even see some quakes in my county of PA, though i've only ever felt 1 quake and i've lived here 22 years.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I don't know how normal 6 pointers are everyday, but I do know I will be keeping an eye on it. It doesn't sound so uncommon to me?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Wrong.
They record generally around 50 a day worldwide, so probably more.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Here showing earthquakes from each day from the 8-30 days.

neic.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avyuir
I don't know how normal 6 pointers are everyday, but I do know I will be keeping an eye on it. It doesn't sound so uncommon to me?

According to this chart www.iris.edu... 6.0 happen about 150 times a year......so yeah 4 in a day does seem a big strange....though not enormously so. It may be common for them to bunch of up all on a day like that, then maybe nothing will happen for another week.....I'm not sure, as I couldn't find a chart that was that specific. Probably worth noting though It's very likely to be nothing....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
thousands of quakes happened in the world today, as they do every day.
As for Honshu Japan region, they've been having quakes daily, sometimes several in one day since march 11th, most being aftershocks.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
Big whoop, earthquakes happen in those area hourly if not more. 6.5 is nothing for those regions.

^Clearly posted straight from the @$$. Poster shows zero knowledge of the subject and I'd bet money he hasn't visited the USGS site even once.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by crazydaisy

Wrong.
They record generally around 50 a day worldwide, so probably more.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Wrong. Your own chart shows that they obviously do not record fifty 6.x quakes a day, since there are only around 130 per year. If you mean fifty earthquakes at all, then that should also show you that 6.x can easily be considered rare, since that would make 130 out of more than 18,000.
edit on 16-5-2011 by sepermeru because: edit button likes my hair this way

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

i know im not allowed one word replys so nice one

a good reply

new topics

top topics

join