It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pa. school gives kids sandwiches as punishment after hot meals go unappreciated

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

You're comparing sandwiches to just being fed bread and water? Sandwiches aren't proper food? Do you have any idea how many adults regularly eat simple sandwiches, cold, unstuffed, and everything? Heck, sometimes I just eat bread and butter during mealtimes.

YOU COMMUNIST BASTARDS, I CANNOT LIVE ON THIS GARBAGE YOU STOCK OUR VENDING MACHINES WITH!

Ok, this is just getting silly.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by irsuccubus

Why this way? Maybe because failing to clean up after their lunch breaks was part of the issue.

I think we're making a mountain out of a molehill here and trying to inject way too much psychology into this whole thing. I'm not sure how this even made a thread here at ATS.

Then again, looking at some of the recent threads we've had, nevermind. If every earthquake on the planet can make it regardless of how un-earthshaking it is, I guess this qualifies.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by MJZoo

i have no idea how it works in the u.s., but in the u.k. i know i would be very angry if we paid for their school meals and they were denied them because of something other students did. i would proberbly be angry if it was something my child did. i believe in punishment i just do not believe in using food as the weapon.

most parents work and pay for their kids to have a school meal here in the u.k.
i would expect my child to get what i paid for, if i wanted them to have a sandwhich i would of sent them in with pack up and kept my money.

They wasn't denied anything. They got the mandated helping of protein, fruits and vegetables. I know when I was in school we had hogie day, which was ham and cheese on a hogie bun. We got that once a week and nobody was upset about it.

Besides that, I promise their cold sandwhich was better for them then the processed nuggets they probably would have been fed.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

no i was not comparing bread and water with sandwhiches, i said what is NEXT bread and water if they continue to misbehave? also if parents send their children to school and pay for a proper meal, they should not be palmed of with sandwhiches which the parent could of made themselves and saved money (if in the u.k.).

i am unsure how it works in america, but parents work and expect their children have had a proper meal whilst in school. if you think punishing children with food is such a good idea then that is your opinion, but NOT mine.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

no i was not comparing bread and water with sandwhiches, i said what is NEXT bread and water if they continue to misbehave? also if parents send their children to school and pay for a proper meal, they should not be palmed of with sandwhiches which the parent could of made themselves and saved money (if in the u.k.).

i am unsure how it works in america, but parents work and expect their children have had a proper meal whilst in school. if you think punishing children with food is such a good idea then that is your opinion, but NOT mine.

OK, please define "proper meal" for me. Last time I checked, sandwiches weren't a bad thing. As I've already mentioned previously, I eat them myself, and don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything.

I'm not trying to upset anyone here, but the fact that some of us here are getting riled up about this is simply laughable to me. AND, as Benevolent Heretic posted, it apparently worked to improve behavior amongst the children with no harm done.

As any of us who have been paying attention to the news lately can attest, things can go much worse and involve actual punishment at schools anymore, include TASERing, pepperspray, and the like. Could the school have come up with a better way to address the issue? Sure, if they wanted to waste more time and energy on it.

But what's the point. Mission accomplished, no harm done, non-issue to begin with. Whatever.

P.S. If they continue to misbehave? Well, I guess they better learn to like their sandwiches.
edit on 5/13/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

a proper meal would be a cooked meal. and i simply believe food should not be used as a weapon, if you disagree fine. your not going to change my opinion.

it has been used in such ways before.
www.time.com...

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This reminds me of forcing them to eat cafeteria food (packed lunches FTW man. cafeteria food sucks!)

You are what you eat, as the old saying goes, and the schools I guess figure if you control what they eat, you control them. Disgusting!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

ITs not the nutritional value here. Its the type of food that was being served that is preferably warm. Chicken nuggets are from from nutritional. They were given regular sandwiches (less heat for the cafeteria workers and easy to prepare ahead of time) and still were given the vegetables and fruits normally given. A luxury was taken away, not an essential nutritional meal. In fact, unless they can prove those nuggets were the purest unprocessed, all white meat chicken, I think the sandwiches were a better alternative. Heat and a different flavour of food were the only horrible things inflicted on the poor children. Seriously, theres bigger concerns in schools to be up in arms about when it comes to taxpayers money be spent.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the meat and the bread used to make a sandwich are cooked.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
am i the only one who can see that using food to control people is wrong? if so there is no hope. people would welcome being controlled by food, step out of line and you will be restricted or forced to eat.......... sandwhiches today but what about when this form of punishment is accepted and implimented everywhere? would it still be sandwhiches then if you step out of line? who knows. but it has to start somewhere right? for people to accept it as a form of punishment.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

NO SOUP FOR YOU! ONE YEAR!

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

How do you punish someone then? Take away recess time? Make them stay after school? How do parents punish their kids........by taking way their iPod or their cell phone? OH NO, controlling a kid with electronics! The kids meal was A FEW DEGREES COOLER than another meal.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

We will agree to disagree, my friend, as I said I mean no harm here.

And I don't see it as a weaponized type situation. There's a book I like to read that provides a dictum: "spare the rod, spoil the child," and I see this as a very flimsy rod indeed.

Yet, the children seem to have learned. Be well and blessed.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

How do you punish someone then? Take away recess time? Make them stay after school? How do parents punish their kids........by taking way their iPod or their cell phone? OH NO, controlling a kid with electronics! The kids meal was A FEW DEGREES COOLER than another meal.

Oh dear no, taking away recess time could be seen as imprisonment or even worse could lead to solitary confinement.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

How is a sandwich not a proper meal?

Seriously, to everyone who is against this punishment, I would like to know what you would consider a proper punishment to these circumstances. If the kids were being punished for not cleaning up after themselves, what punishment would you impose?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

these are just kids there are other ways to discipline kids
so i think we should take the paychecks away from the ones who fail to educate the kids

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

a proper meal would be a cooked meal. and i simply believe food should not be used as a weapon, if you disagree fine. your not going to change my opinion.

it has been used in such ways before.
www.time.com...

What about those who make a meal out of Subway sandwhiches?

A proper meal doesn't require it to be hot. A proper meal is a nutriouses one.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

forget the sandwhich, i would prefer my children to have a cooked meal whilst in school, but forget all that.

it is more about what they are using as punishment if you do not follow orders given to you from the top.
the kids have got to learn the way it is going to be i suppose, but that does not mean it is right.

did anyone read the link i provided to explain how food is used as a weapon? it is used to control people. a sandwhich is fine although if i sent my kid to school to get a hot meal then i would expect it especially if i paid in advance for it. but it is not all about the sandwhich it is about getting them use to using food as punishment.

just like hitler did just like stalin did. by using food as a weapon you either get in line or starve or eat poorly.
a sandwhich is fine every now and then but, it is not the sandwhich they are getting them use to.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Great but as I already pointed out, the meat and the bread that make the sandwich ARE cooked.

Second, you still didn't answer my question about what sort of punishment you think would be adequate for a student who doesn't follow the rules about cleaning up after themselves.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think it was an appropriate punishment, they weren't starving the kids, just made them eat sandwiches, no big deal!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join