It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pa. school gives kids sandwiches as punishment after hot meals go unappreciated

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

According to one of the articles, they were not cleaning up after themselves in the communal eating area. As adults are expected to clean up after themselves in a shared area in a food court or cafeteria, so were these children. Some did not, and all were forced to deal with the repurcussions--like we'd all be forced to if we needed to sit down at a food court or at work and had to clean up the mess of the person who sat there before us. Which is annoying and disgusting. Are you suggesting that these children not face any discipline for this? What would you suggest? (I'm not being sarcastic, I'm asking for real)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fusionhunter

You're absolutely right. When more than just a few students are breaking the rules, it's more effective for students to police themselves. As long as bad Johnny doesn't care, he will continue his bad behavior unless his friends start harassing him to clean up his act because they want their privileges back.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is great! I have no tolerance for brats that consistently misbehave. A cold sandwich meal school wide to punish the bad children not only will show that a. you can not get away with your misbehavior, b. set an example to other children that think about acting up, but also will ostracize the wrong doers from their class mates and friends and thus (hopefully) curb this behavior.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GunzCoty
reply to post by irsuccubus

ITS NOT ABOUT THE SANDWICHES
I agree with you on this. My problem is why punish all the kids?
Why not suspend the kid/s involved or talk to there parents about this?

Most bad children love suspension. It's like a free vacation. That's why the idea of suspension doesn't work.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I honestly dont see a problem with this... what a sandwiches isnt food now? Who says these kids are even entitled to a hot meal? If I go to mcdonalds and demand pizza is it punishment when I dont get pizza? The school can choose what it wants to serve the kids, it the kids dont want to eat it thats their problem regardless if this was used as 'punishment' or not.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

It's also a horrible way to induce eating disorders later in life, by using food as punishment. What in the # are these people thinking.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Wow.

I can't believe anyone is upset.

Go to Africa and see if having a sandwich for lunch is cruel and unusual.

enough said.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

A cold sandwich is NOT cruel and unusual punishment.........and definitely not an extreme case of it. It's just a cold sandwich. If the kids were told BEFOREHAND that if they misbehaved that they would not be entitled to a hot lunch and they still broke the rules then that is their problem.

I'm sorry, but using food as punishment is a horrible way to teach children a lesson. If they can't find a way to reach these children with better methods to address poor behavior, then they need to get another job. They need to go to the parents, and let the parents handle the matter, if their child is misbehaving.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by irsuccubus
reply to post by Praetorius

I realized I was not clear in my point so I edited my post....but as a mom...I always kind of laugh when people use passive aggressive, roundabout ways to get cooperation from children. It doesnt get results and instead seems to breed resentment because the kids know they are being treated like idiots. If a kid is being a jackass, get to the heart of the matter. Sticking a sandwich in his hand as opposed to the normal federal grade slop isnt going to do squat.

Exactly. In the long run, they are creating additional problems, without having ever addressed the initial one to begin with. But yeah, I'm highly against using food as any form of punishment. I personally think that's sick.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aisling

A cold sandwich is NOT cruel and unusual punishment.........and definitely not an extreme case of it. It's just a cold sandwich. If the kids were told BEFOREHAND that if they misbehaved that they would not be entitled to a hot lunch and they still broke the rules then that is their problem.

I'm sorry, but using food as punishment is a horrible way to teach children a lesson. If they can't find a way to reach these children with better methods to address poor behavior, then they need to get another job. They need to go to the parents, and let the parents handle the matter, if their child is misbehaving.

So we should go back to beating children with a yard stick when they act out? Seriously its not like the school is saying they cant eat.... they just have to eat a sandwich. I simply cant see how being given food is even a punishment. Yes please give me free food so I dont need to work.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hahahaha, this is really funny. OH NOS, cold sammiches!!!!!!! The kids are getting food... who cares if it's hot or cold? Are you kidding me?

Is it like... "Since my kid isn't getting a good education, he should at least get HOT FOOD!!!" is that the case?...

I don't get it... worry about the education our kids are actually getting. I know I didn't get much of one... Teachers are ok... but the system they are working for keeps them in a repeating cycle of bs.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

While I agree a cold sandwich does not sound like the end-all..I think the bigger point here stems back to one aspect of public school life that I absolutely despise..and that is the entire class being punished for one or two bad apples. To me, that is total Bull S**t.

I remember all too well trying my damnedest to behave and follow the rules and there would always be that one kid that would keep his mouth running and the entire class would miss out on recess or whatever. It never made a lick of sense to me why that one kid was not singled out and we all had to suffer.

This is just one reason in an increasing number of reasons why my children are homeschooled.
At least if they get cold sandwiches now, it's not a punishment

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Do any of you actually have kids? Blanket punishments work much better that individual ones.

As I read it the problem people see is either hot vs cold, ridiculous, or food as punishment, which they did not do.

ATS should stick to panic about earthquakes and birth certificates because real life is obviously beyond this groups comprehension.

School is not a country club utopia for kids. It is and should be run more like the military or prison. The entire bunch are minors and therefore have no rights. The only right you have are the ones allowed by your behavior. This is how we create functioning adults.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

OH MY GOD, god forbid they eat cold sandwiches for punishment! Most cold sandwiches are healthier then most hot meals to begin with, IMHO they did them a favor! They weren't starved or declined education. This post attacking the issue is ridonkulous!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bastet11

One team one fight, I served in the army and if all were punished for ones actions it sure cleared the issue up a lot quicker. Sometimes you gotta lay the back hand down, no matter how much they hate it if it is in their best interest and works then do it. Im tired of todays society calling abuse on EVERYTHING. My grandfather knocked that crap out of my dad for back talking. My dad spanked me with a board with holes in it. I send my kid to the corner... You see the pattern? Kids dont learn if you dont give them a taste of fear or order for respect! it gets worse and worse with each decade before you know it making kids write a sentence a 100 times "I will not hit my fellow classmate" for punishment will be considered abuse in the near future. In todays military soldiers can bust out the "Stress card" so Drill instructors cant yell at them. The whole point is to condition someone to work under stress so they well not only keep themselves out of danger but their fellow soldiers and are able to operate with a sense under stress! God forbid soldiers learn to work under stress as well. Dont feed a kid a cold sandwich, I remember field trips and I loved those boxed lunches at the zoo when I got a sub and a bag a chips with my apple juice... I know that's so hard and cruel and unusual punishment though right, if your this concerned then bring it up with the school board and show your evidence of abuse!!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77
reply to post by AshleyD

I'm just saying those who had to put up with it back in the day think its alright and acceptable, but then again they went on to make our wonderful utopian world what it is today.

Well I guess I am wrong by popular opinion on this then. Let's forget the next generation and ignore it.
edit on 13-5-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

You are attributing a very, VERY non-cruel consequence with Civilizations that have problems? I'm laughing so hard right now, I might pass out. That would explain how Rome fell!

To be honest, this punishment from the school is probably the only discipline these kids get. I mean, having somebody like you as a parent, who feels that this is OH so cruel, I can only imagine their punishment. You act as if a sandwich is above and beyond, like you were somebody who had everything handed to them on a silver platter...Regardless, here is a GREAT thought. There are problems out there that are infinitely worse, and if you don't care for our "Utopia" than stand up and start changing it instead of finding something minuscule to whine about.

@xBWOMPx

Oh I hear ya! My Grandpa whooped my Dad. My Dad whooped me, my brother AND sister. My dad, never been in trouble and has been and is a good man. My brother, sister, and I, are good people, help others out and stay out of trouble. So, when I have kids, they'll get the family tradition of being whooped.

@Everybody else

Yes, I know that people are complaining about this not because of food, but because it affects everybody, but that is how school life is and should be. They could single out the few bad apples, but that would be even worse. Think about the psychological aspect, if you will. You single out 2 kids for their behaviors and the rest of the student body will look down on them. I've seen it in Middle School, High School, and in College. People will place a nice little stereotype on them, etc, etc. But, whatever. You people are entitled to your opinions, but the thing that gets me is, you are willing to stand up, and bitch about this, yet you won't stand up for anything else? Crazy times we live in....
edit on 15-5-2011 by abaraikenshi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
The crap that's going on in the world today and a story like THIS is making the headlines?

Cruel and unusual punishment my arse. If they had to have my wife's cooking THAT would be cruel and unusual punishmment but this is nothing.

In fact, in our house we give our kids butties everyday for school, should we be reported to social services for crimes against humanity?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
The crap that's going on in the world today and a story like THIS is making the headlines?

Cruel and unusual punishment my arse. If they had to have my wife's cooking THAT would be cruel and unusual punishmment but this is nothing.

In fact, in our house we give our kids butties everyday for school, should we be reported to social services for crimes against humanity?

about your wife's cooking. Good one. I work in a school and have for many years. For most kids, lunchtime is about social time with their friends. Most don't care if they're served spaghetti or sandwiches as long as they get to visit with their friends. Here, most make a meal out of chocolate milk and the cookie or desert of the day. Tons of food is thrown away.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

I'm going to as you the same question I've asked everyone else who shares your feelings. what do YOU propose as a punishment? I'm talking a punishment for the exact circumstances outlined in the article.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

It's also a horrible way to induce eating disorders later in life, by using food as punishment. What in the # are these people thinking.

Ah, a fruit and bananas will induce bulimia!

That's just insane.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join