It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glencore - How the Company You've Never Heard of Shapes the World by Profiting in Chaos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
By now everyone has heard of Monsanto and knows of their global tentacles. But there another company out there that is probably just as powerful (and possibly just as bad) that has been hiding under the covers for a long time.

A little history. Glencore is a commodities firm that was founded by Marc Rich. Yes that Marc Rich. The one that was pardoned during Clinton's last days in office.

Notrious Presidential Pardons - Marc Rich

In 1983, financier Rich was indicted for evading more than $48 million in taxes, and charged with 51 counts of tax fraud, as well as running illegal oil deals with Iran during the 1979-1980 hostage crisis. During his last week in office, President Bill Clinton pardoned Rich, who had fled the U.S. during his prosecution and was residing in Switzerland. Clinton's eleventh-hour move, along with pardons of his half-brother, Roger, and former business partner Susan McDougal, outraged Republicans and Democrats alike. The Rich pardon sparked an investigation into whether it was bought by the hefty donations Rich's ex-wife, Denise, had given to the Clintons and the Democrats. In the end, investigators did not find enough evidence to indict Clinton.

As you can see from the above Rich has long been one to profit from chaos and shady deals. This is a trait he passed on the the company he founded.

For a more comprehensive write up on this history of RIch and his dealing including the oil-for-food scandal, his deals with extremists and ties to the rich and powerful I suggest.

The Rich Boys An ultra-secretive network rules independent oil trading. Its mentor: Marc Rich

Of course, time has passed since then and Rich's baby, Glencore, has now became a sprawling monster that would make its daddy's dark heart proud. It has been very secretive in its dealings. However, it is now undergoing an IPO. This will bring it more money and power. But, it also forces some light to be focused on it. We've learned how huge it is. We've learned that its current share holders will become very, very rich. (As opposed to being just very rich - as they now are. We've also learned how it profits from chaos.

World's largest company that you know nothing about

This gives us an idea of just how huge Glencore is and of their power.

This is how much of the world market they control in the following commodities

Its market share internationally for key products in its metals and minerals portfolio includes zinc (60%), copper (50%), alumina (38%), cobalt (16%), nickel (14%), ferrochrome (16%) and lead (45%). Its energy products division is active in coal (24%) and oil (3%). Glencore's agricultural division has market shares that include rapeseed (26%), sunflower oil (20%), soybean oil (9%), barley (11%), wheat (11%), corn (4%) and sugar (1%).

Ponder that for a bit. One company controls 60% of the worlds zinc, 50% of the worlds copper, etc. That is power and that is money. Obscene amounts of power and money. With that they have a global logistics chain and operations in 40 countries. Including such hotspots as the Congo, Kazakhstan and Colombia. The IPO will mean that each of Glencore's 480 current shareholders will get a cool $100million minimum.

But why should we care? Because Glencore's enormous size, wealth and power gives it the ability to control and shape the market - and the world.

10 Things You Need To Know About The Glencore IPO - Glencore International AG is about to take over the world -- literally

The full article is worth reading but it is too long to include here. However, the number one thing you need to know is definitely worth including.

1. This mega-company dominates the supply chain.
The scope and scale of their operation is truly remarkable- they mine, refine, and supply. More importantly they are tapped into the all the major players in metals and minerals, as well as various energy and agricultural products. This makes them an enabler. With increased capital they’ll be able to finance idle operations all over the world. Such a supply will help satisfy growing energy demand and facilitate a laundry list of budgeted infrastructural projects in Brazil, India, and China. (Cha-Ching!)

That means they can be price setters not price takers. The way Glencore often sets the price is by creating poverty, hunger and chaos and then making huge profits from it.

Glencore: Profiteering from hunger and chaos

Glencore's vast reach and connections give them information and power that they can use to create a crisis and then profit from it. Here is how the manipulated the Russian wheat market to turn a tidy profit.

In August 2010, for example, Russia issued a ban on grain exports, after droughts ravaged crops. On August 3, the head of Glencore's Russian grain unit encouraged the government to halt exports. The government followed his advice on August 5, causing prices for cereals to rise 15 per cent in two days. "Days before the export ban went into place, Glencore made huge bets," said Kuyek. "They had some kind of information there; companies with information are in the best place to capture profits from volatility.

Of course, people went hungry as result of this. But that is of little consequence to Glencore. The IPO will make the company only bigger and more powerful.

There is much money to be made in the suffering of others. I'm afraid the profits and suffering are both about to climb to new highs.

edit on 13-5-2011 by Frogs because: typos

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
eric holder
attorney general

had a had in the rich pardon
just like clinton

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Truther9111776

I'll be darned. I didn't realize that. But, I looked it up and you are 100% right..

Pardon My Exception

Holder was Clinton's deputy attorney general, and he played a significant role in the pardon. When asked by the White House what he thought about a pardon for Rich, Holder replied, "Neutral, leaning towards favorable." These four words have stalked him since.

It guess its a small wold among the rich, powerful and corrupt.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Oh yea
theres a revolving door

in DC of scum liars
cheats murders

and pardoning ag's
i recommend the book

the final days of the clinton white house
by barbara olsen

she passed on sept 11 2001
when the plane she was on smashed in to
the pentagon

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Glencore have just come out of the dark and floated on the London stock exchange, seems like a really dodgy company to me.

Swiss-based Glencore, famous for its fiercely guarded tradition of secrecy, has now drawn the line under four decades as a private company. Though largely unknown by the public before the market offering, millions of Britons will become shareholders via their pension funds, as FTSE 100 tracker funds are obliged to own the stock of such a large company. The shares have been catapulted straight into the index of leading shares.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Yea

there was a video on cnn today about them and unmasking some of their secrecy

scumbags all of them

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just been watching a documentary on Glencore. One of their plants is pumping acid into rivers in the Congo, using child labourers in copper mines.

Panorama's John Sweeney visited the company's copper refinery in the Democratic Republic of Congo to test that claim.

He found acid pouring into a river by the company's Luilu refinery.

Upstream, the river - used by local people to wash and fish - was clear and green; downstream of the Glencore pipe there was brown sludge.

Glencore say the pollution started long before the company took over the refinery and that the pollution has now ended.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I watched this and was sure to find another Illuminati base.

Be sure to pay close attention to the water feature Ivan Glasenberg has in his front garden, you will quickly spot the all seeing eye.

Strangely, that's the 2nd exposure from Panorama this year, good stuff.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I watched this too.

Glad to see that the BBC are not quite as much under the thumb as I deemed them to be - not Panorama anyway.

More power to their elbow and here's hoping Dave's millionaire cabinet can refrain from interfering in such a long running documentary series that has a history of excellence.

What an awfully weasley little billionaire the Glencore chap was - wonder if he regretted granting the interview?

Child miners indeed!

top topics

join