It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4.5 EQ Poland?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is not normal. I watch 24 hrs a day and this is a first for a long time.

Close to Italy and the predictions. Spain got it but is this a piece of it?

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

Earthquake
35 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.5
DateTime: Friday May 13 2011, 03:59:08 UTC
Region: Poland
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6304419656cb.png[/atsimg]

USGS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

MAP 4.5 2011/05/13 03:59:08 51.374 16.152 5.0 POLAND

Today in Earthquake History:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

M6.6 - Greece, 1995 Twenty-five people injured and substantial damage in the Grevena-Kozani area. Maximum intensity VIII. The earthquake and aftershocks destroyed 5,000 homes and damaged 7,000 others with a preliminary estimate of 450 million U.S. dollars in damage. Felt in central and northern Greece, including Thessaloniki. Felt (IV-VI) in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Felt (III) at Herceg Novi, Podgorica and Ulcinj, Yugoslavia.

edit on 12-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Sweet site, thanks for sharing. You watch this a lot? Are all of these earthquakes normal? What's doin' with earthquakes these days

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by jude11

Sweet site, thanks for sharing. You watch this a lot? Are all of these earthquakes normal? What's doin' with earthquakes these days

Normal? That's a loaded question.

Not much is normal these days IMO.

Most un-normal are the small but consistent tremors in the US.

Scroll thru the 36 hrs of info and take a look.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ya know, there was one in that area not too long ago, I noticed it and the epicenter was closest to Wroclaw. Now I took note because I believe that is where Pope John Paul II was born. Now we have another...

Magnitude
Date-Time
Friday, May 13, 2011 at 03:59:08 UTC
Friday, May 13, 2011 at 05:59:08 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
5 km (3.1 miles)
Region
POLAND
Distances
68 km (42 miles) WNW of Wroclaw, Poland
129 km (80 miles) SSW of Poznan, Poland
133 km (82 miles) ESE of Cottbus, Germany
348 km (216 miles) WSW of WARSAW, Poland
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16 km (9.9 miles); depth +/- 2.9 km (1.8 miles)
Parameters
NST= 52, Nph= 54, Dmin=203.7 km, Rmss=0.62 sec, Gp= 79°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source
USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0003drc

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have never heard of an earthquake in poland, even though a 4.3 is not a really strong quake, for an area that is not built to withstand them it could be pretty devastating. Strange things are afoot in Europe. First Spain now Poland, wonder if England or Italy could be next.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
neic.usgs.gov...

Historic Seismicity

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

these are odd times we be in, indeed
Oh I see what you mean. We all know cali is a hot spot but consistent is the key word here.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
neic.usgs.gov...

Historic Seismicity

Thank you.

Any thoughts or opinions?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
neic.usgs.gov...

Historic Seismicity

Read your first post for opinion, input and thoughts.

Apologies.

Thanx

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a bit strange indeed, the emsc speaks of a 4.4 at a depth of 1km
This could be a foreshock like in spain.
Guess we will have to wait and see, nothing on the Polish news yet.

www.emsc-csem.org...
www.emsc-csem.org...

news on the last quake in Poland( feb 6 2010), almost exact same location
newsbizarre.com...
german seismic center in freiburg
www.lgrb.uni-freiburg.de...
edit on 13-5-2011 by intergalactic fire because: add link

edit on 13-5-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
From looking at your map it really looks as if the Pacific Plate is really shifting i don't really watch alot so not sure if its the norm but seems like alot of 4 to 5.0 quakes happening on all side of that plate. According to this site that is Detailed Tectonic Plate Map . And the quake in Poland is just out of nowhere it seems but then again thats how it happens one sec. everything good next min. everything's a shaking crazy world we live in eh.
edit on 13-5-2011 by Godhood because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I've been reading into earthquakes and plate tectonics a bit. Haven't touched it since my Freshman year in undergrad, but if we look at it like a system of jostling plates (like Bill Nye would say), then the tremendous movement by the Eurasian landmass eastward may be squeezing the Pacific plate, causing major pressure to build up. Given we've also seen many 5.0+ events along the divergent boundary in the Atlantic, and an increase in activity along the fault systems in the US, it is at least possible that this stress is being transferred throughout the seismic structure of the Earth.

That said, it is just as possible that the pressure had been building up in the Pacific Plate and was released, and what we are seeing now is the after effects of the seismic system getting used to the new "norm" everything is going to shift to some extent.

I will admit though that Poland threw up a question mark as I reviewed the latest events data. Kinda like having one in Minnesota: Not unheard of, but not expected.

Anyone know where we can get a map of major faultlines in Europe? That could help shed some light on this.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
First Spain now Poland, wonder if England or Italy could be next.

We had one in England (off the Isles of Scilly) on 1st May. Plus 3 others in Scotland in the past 4 weeks. They're quite common here.

The Polish quake is also in a region of Poland prone to earthquakes - in fact most in the country in the past 20 years have been clustered around the location of this latest one or else to the southeast of Wroclaw

See the chart at the bottom of this page:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Edit: I see 3 miners were killed due to an earthquake in Poland back in January:

earthquake-report.com...

There was another bigger quake in the same place as this latest one in Feb 2010:

newsbizarre.com...
edit on 13-5-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I live in southern Poland and i didn't feel that quake, but I'd say it was caused by mining activity. Nothing very unusual in that region.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hello from Warsaw, Poland!

I saw that too on my android app and seriously - couldn't believe until I've checked it on afew sites and here on ATS. It is peculiar indeed unless it has something to do with mining which sometimes happens.

I must add it is not featured in any news sites here, however we live in these annoying time when politics and celebrities are more important than unusual nature events.

Other than that nice to see Poland news featured on ATS, lucky it is not a huge EQ.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hmm thats is weird , it shows the quake to be near a major town called Lublin , and since we do not have quakes at all in our country (not counting the few ones that happened near a mining location) this should have been all over the news , but I cant seem to find any indication that this happened in any of our national news portals. Sadly I live way up in the north so do not have any friends from Lublin to verify this , but something seems fishy to me.
edit on 13/5/11 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Have been on several 'news' websites thorughout the day and have not seen anything mentioned at all.

It does seem that alot of natural happenings taking place recently.

Is it just me as I remember MSM reported earthquakes very infrequently? Now, apart from this one, it appears almost daily that something is happening.

We live in interesting times right now

top topics

join