It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you have to be 35 to run for president?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Who made that rule? That seems like the dumbest rule ever, I'm 17 soon to be 18 and I wanna run, but I can't because of my age. Do you agree with that rule? And would you ever vote for someone younger than 35?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

I should be able to legally drink a beer with my president.

Second line.

edit on 12-5-2011 by zillah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm 17 and I sure as hell would not vote for someone who is only 18.

Let alone 17.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
dude i dont trust a 17 year old or 18 old with my car

you think i am gonna let some kid run the country

i think not

wow letting the product of the liberal education process run this country id rather take a revolver loaded with 1 bullet and put it to my head.

the same effect.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FurthestStar
I'm 17 and I sure as hell would not vote for someone who is only 18.

Let alone 17.

Why not?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I would not vote for anyone who uses the word "like" in a sentence as slang.

"that is like the dumbest..." As an example.

Stay in school, get some real world experience.

edit on 12-5-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
dude i dont trust a 17 year old or 18 old with my car

you think i am gonna let some kid run the country

i think not

wow letting the product of the liberal education process run this country id rather take a revolver loaded with 1 bullet and put it to my head.

the same effect.

I see, but old people have run this country for many years and they have run it into the ground. Would someone younger really hurt? I don't think so.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
the presidents main reponsibility is as commander in chief, and we need to make sure the president makes the right decision, and you need maturity and life experience for that

besides, even if you were technically allowed to run, you still need a resume like an ivy league education, and some government experience like a senator or governor to even have a shot at someone besides your mom voting for you

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Age shouldn't be an issue. Beliefs, ideology and knowledge is what plays the dice.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-5-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
you need maturity and life experience for that

Maturity?

...George W. Bush had maturity?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Your brain isn't even fully developed until you're in your mid 20s.

"The brain of an 18-year-old college freshman is still far from resembling the brain of someone in their mid-twenties,"

www.dartmouth.edu...

There's lots of studies that have similar results
edit on 12-5-2011 by InfiniteTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think it has something to do with life experience. Being right our of high school there just is no way a person would be able to have enough experience to run a country. In high school they barely touch on economics, how is an 18 year old going to balance a multi trillion dollar budget when it is likely they have never made a budget for anything. Just for the sake of argument what would your platform be? How would you fix the economy and what is your view on foreign policy? Personally I am not sure if i would vote for someone or not vote for someone simply because of their age. There is a thing in this country called title IX which bans discrimination in the work place based on sex color religion and age. I guess i would have to be put in the situation to actually know if i would or would not vote for someone based on age alone. It is a bit refreshing to see someone as young as you show inerest in the politcal process. Most teens could care less. Here is an excerpt from wikipedia, it shows different age requierments for diferent political offices. Maybe get your feet wet first in a lower office and get some experience then shoot for the oval office.

In the United States a person must be at least 35 to be President or Vice President, 30 to be a Senator, or 25 to be a Representative, as specified in the U.S. Constitution. Most states in the U.S. also have age requirements for the offices of Governor, State Senator, and State Representative. Some states have a minimum age requirement to hold any elected office (usually 21 or 18). Most states will not allow ballot access to people who do not meet the age requirement of the office they are running for.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

What do we know? What do we care? What's the point? Even mature kids don't know as much as they think they do.

At least let's focus on college first. Sound good?

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

well the way i see it the younger generation elected the biggest idiot this country has ever seen

and that same younger generation doesnt have a clue when american idol and snookie are more important than

knowing how the government is suppose to function and how business and finance works

oh and i can bet most people under 35 have never even read the contistution or even comprehends its meaning.

with age comes experience and wisdom.

theres an old saying if i knew then what i know now think about the meaning of that saying.

reply to post by Jepic

age shouldnt matter?

do either of you two believe in the us constitution?

end of story

you dont have to like it but thats the way it is.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The age limit is unnecessary, as is the ''natural born citizen'' requirement.

The age and birthplace of a presidential candidate are factors that should be up to the voter to decide upon when opting who to support. People shouldn't have limits dictated to them on who they may or may not choose to govern the country.

As long as the candidate is of legal voting age and a US citizen, then let the people make up their own minds !

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
In the UK we had a very succesful 24 year old Prime Minister. I don't think we have an age limit. If you're old enough to vote you should be old enough to stand for high office. Link to Wikipaedia

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

No one under 20 has any sense. Period. I was there once and it still stands.

I think it should be no one under 40 personally.

If, by age 40,

1.you arent married with children

2.VERY stable in that marriage AND your children arent miscreants (if you cant raise your kids, you shouldnt

run jack!)

3. Under 35 (nowadays, under 40 MINIMUM!) You have NOT had enough life experience. Period.

Oh, what about military/police?

Same. I'm not interested in how many folks they capped/ put in jail.

At 18? Give me a break.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Simple....

en.wikipedia.org...

It isn't an arbitrary age...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You'll understand when you are 50.

Seeashrink

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Simple refutation to any of the comments about an 18 year old being unqualified; Most people won't vote for an unqualified person either way. By saying that voting citizens can't decide if someone's fit to be their leader because of a certain age, you're taking a factor out of democracy.

If someone's not mature enough yet, don't vote for them. Doesn't matter if they're 18 or 65, age shouldn't be a factor.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join