It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Boom Rattles Part of VA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Mystery Boom Rattles Part of VA

www.washingtonpost.com

A loud boom rattled Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore but the source is a mystery.

Media outlets report that the mystery boom occurred Tuesday night. It was reported in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake and Suffolk.

Some residents reported that the disturbance shook their homes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nbcwashington.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Streaking lights, explosions reported all along coast

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So far no one is reporting seeing a bright flash like occurred when something similar happened in 2009 and it doesn't seem as wide spread up and down the coast.

I know that last time this happened they speculated (because of the bright light) it was a meteor.

I don't think there is enough information yet to say what it was but as the article states we know what is was not:
Sonic boom
Thunder
Earthquake
Rocket activity from Wallops Island

The ATS link in the first post is a discussion of the 2009 event..

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/11/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Point out ATS link is for discussion on 2009 event

edit on 5/11/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Added what article said it wasn't

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Several military air stations in the area, NAS Oceania, NAS Norfolk and Langly AFB. Could have been an aircraft breaking the sound barrier.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

For what it's worth they are reporting that a sonic boom wouldn't be heard from where people are reporting hearing the noise

Mystery Boom rattles parts of VA

The U.S. Geological Survey’s reports show no seismic activity at the time. A spokeswoman at Oceana Naval Air Station says a sonic boom from the base wouldn’t be heard as far away as Suffolk. A NASA spokesman says there wasn’t any rocket activity at the Wallops Island facility that could cause such a noise. National Weather Service meteorologist Mike Rusnak says there wasn’t any severe weather at the time.

Michelle

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I remember something either earlier this year or mid to late last year... booms in Louisiana and Alabama totally unexplained. Think it was right before birds started dying in flocks.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

A spokeswoman at Oceana Naval Air Station says a sonic boom from the base wouldn’t be heard as far away as Suffolk.

There are other bases in the area that it could have been from. The article only specified it could not have come from NAS Oceana. That still leaves NAS Norfolk and Langley.
edit on 11-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Yes....I can attest to what happened in Louisiana. When it happened, I thought I'd have a heart attack! Never heard anything that loud in my life. They think it was a meteor, but never proven.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hello and greetings, long time lurker here. This thread caught my attention because I currently live in Richmond, VA but I have grown up in Virginia beach/Norfolk nearly all of my life.

Anyway, on to the point of why I'm posting. My roommate knows that I'm into the whole conspiracy/alien/ufo business so he gives me a heads up if theres anything ever strange in the sky or on the news. Last night (tuesday night) he called me at 10:34pm asking if I saw anything in the sky (He has went home to Virginia Beach). I did not see anything from Richmond. He reported seeing a huge "shooting star-looking" object in the sky for 2-3 seconds and said he has never seen anything like that in his life. In his words, "If I have ever seen a shooting star in my life, that was one."

I definitely think that this is correlated.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

I'll answer all of our questions in one word. THUNDER. After all, it is storm season.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Didn't this happen in Florida recently??If I remember correctly it was right before the Japan quake?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I live near Richmond, Va, and I just emailed my best friend that lives in the Va Beach area to see if she heard/felt/saw anything. She heard it, but it didn't shake the house. It definitely caught her attention though. She hears jets and planes all the time, but this was out of the norm. She mentioned something I haven't thought about in a long, long time.
Back in 2004, before the Indonesian Tsunami, we heard booms like that here in Va too. It was on the local news because people were worried about possible terrorists detonating explosives underground (please keep in mind that it was not too long after 911, and we were all still highly paranoid about loud explosive sounds!).
But that made me think, because wasn't this just going on in other places? Was it before or after the Japan earthquake? I don't know if it correlates or not.
edit on 11-5-2011 by followingpythagoras because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

This must be a joke. The weather was beautiful here yesterday.

On topic: I live on the northern edge of Virginia Beach (input my location into google maps to see exactly where) and this "boom" was more like a 5 second rumble that shook my entire building.

I've lived here all my life aside from 4 years in the ARMY spent in Fart Garden Georgia. I'm well aware of the usual sounds made by both military and civilian aircraft. The noise was not any conventional aircraft, was surely not the sound that results in breaking the sound barrier, and it most certainly was not thunder. It was strong enough for me to call down to my building's office and report how the building had just shook. We're not talking just a minor vibration either, it was almost as if the top floor above us had collapsed. Loud, sudden, and then nothing.

I thought this event was simply local to this property but it appears it was much larger! And yet not a word on the news...

On an unrelated note (I suppose): There was a HUGE unmarked blimp flying around a couple days ago. We see blimps here (although rarely) and they're usually the Goodyear or Metlife blimps, and perhaps a budwiser one. But this thing was MASSIVE, unmarked, and rather FAST for a blimp (compared to what I've seen). Anyone know anything about this?

edit on 11-5-2011 by M0n0lyth because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by M0n0lyth because: Interesting blimp fact

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I remember reading something like this in another thread, I think they called it a 'sky quake'.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by M0n0lyth

Thanks for adding your first hand report of what happened! Any theories?

Just curious...you said that it felt like the top floors had collapsed...so you felt that the noise was coming from above you? Did you feel any pressure changes or anything like that?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rumrunner

Thanks for pointing that out! I searched and came up with this OLD but interesting discussion on sky quakes:
Skyquake discussion

I thought the theory about the detonating meteorites was very interesting.

edit on 5/11/2011 by angrywhitechick because: Hit wrong button

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I live in Virginia Beach and I didn't hear or feel anything. My Brother in law lives 5 miles away and he said his entire house shook. I was making dinner at the time so I was wide awake. The news here has said that no one saw anything in the sky. Back in 2009 this happened, but there was a bright light shooting across the sky and it crashed into the ocean. It was said to be either a meteorite or space debris. All the news outlets here are still saying that it is a mystery. Oceana Naval Air Station is right here in Va. Beach so the only thing I can figure, and also having 13 years experience working on fighter jets, is that an F-18 Super Hornet broke the sound barrier somewhere around here.

That theory makes the most sense, but the problem is that the noise/shaking was witnessed on the Eastern Shore which is much further than a sonic boom would be noticed. One of the Morning radio shows here in Hampton Roads attributed the loud noise and rumbling to Chuck Norris farting.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by Michelle129th

A spokeswoman at Oceana Naval Air Station says a sonic boom from the base wouldn’t be heard as far away as Suffolk.

There are other bases in the area that it could have been from. The article only specified it could not have come from NAS Oceana. That still leaves NAS Norfolk and Langley.
edit on 11-5-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

The only aircraft stationed at NAS Norfolk are E-2C Hawkeyes and C-2 Greyhounds, both very slow prop planes. There are also several Helicopter squadrons there as well.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I heard the same thing here in Colorado...... same time also (with time adjustment) ..I live next to an infantry base and thought they we haveing practice again... but they never only fire 1 round......and it was big!!! shook my house.....just FYI

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Thanks for filling us in.

In your opinion is anything from Langely too far away to hear?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lost in america

Interesting.

In the comments section of the secondary news source I provided someone reported hearing/feeling something in Duck, NC too.
Mystery Boom

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join