It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britons "Planned Raid On Bin Laden Hideout"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Britons 'Planned Raid On Bin Laden Hideout

www.express.co.uk

Sunday May 8,2011
By Stuart Winter and Marco Giannangeli

"BRITISH special forces played a vital part in the operation to “kill or capture” Osama Bin Laden."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5/8/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
From the article:

Two officers from the Special Boat Service could be in line for American military honours for the parts they played in planning the audacious raid on the Al Qaeda leader’s compound in the heart of Pakistan.

Neither the captain nor the major had a “trigger job” in the fight that raged when US Navy Seals stormed Bin Laden’s lair last week but their top secret role has been described as crucial for the success of the mission.

Well that is certainly interesting. I had no idea that the Brits were also involved in this, but it makes sense since we have worked with them many times in the past on secret operations.

Another new and interesting twist noted in the last part of the article was this:

A White House spokesman said “Geronimo” referred to the operation as a whole, not Bin Laden

Interesting because the operation name has been recently clarified by various sources as being named "Operation Neptune's Spear", with the code name for Osama Bin Laden himself being "Geronimo". Is this a new spin due to recent Native Americans public outrage at use of the name "Geronimo" affiliated with Osama Bin Laden?

www.express.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

I have been waiting for this to be announced. Because of the nature of British Special Forces (The elite of the elite) i just knew that had to be involved somewhere in this operation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hey, somebody had to make the Seals some tea when they got back. Good job brits.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I am glad they were involved.. Political differences aside, I dont think there is a stronger alliance anywhere else on the planet.

God save the Queen.
God bless America.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Last night it emerged that President Obama had given the Navy Seal units orders to take extra precautions to identify Bin Laden clearly.

This led to one Seal being asked to lie down next to Bin Laden’s corpse to gauge the Al Qaeda chief’s 6ft 4in frame.

that is just plain ridiculous..i though they had DNA proof ...

In the weeks running up to the assault, Navy Seals practised on a full-scale replica of Bin Laden’s compound with each member of the 24-man team becoming accustomed to such tiny details as the position of electrical cables and the layout of rooms.

and they still goofed it up,by having a power cut,which ment everyone for 10 miles was outside,and then by allegedly crashing a helo,even tho locals at the time said it exploded in the sky,and having to send in a rescue team.

as i guess were never know how many seals died or were badly wounded from the alleged crash.

if the first reports,coming from the locals at the time are anything to go by,this was far from a smooth operation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chesster
Hey, somebody had to make the Seals some tea when they got back. Good job brits.

i guess someone had to teach the americans how to read a map...good job seals..you only crash one helo

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Bound to crash a helo at least once when fighting a war alone... hey but at least the brits trains wont go boom anymore. Thank you seals for saving the UK, and thank you brits for donating a map...
as always you have proved useful in war. Just like ww2, how you guys defeated hitler and all.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

reply to post by TheMaverick

Bound to crash a helo at least once when fighting a war alone... hey but at least the brits trains wont go boom anymore. Thank you seals for saving the UK, and thank you brits for donating a map...
as always you have proved useful in war. Just like ww2, how you guys defeated hitler and all.

Instead of puffing up your chest and draping yourself in the stars and stripes you may want to read a history book or two.

Back on topic, it would be nice to know some more details as to the role the SBS played.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

Oh ya what page does the history book talk about the brits winning a modern war? Didnt Chile or Argentina even beat them off an Island?

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

I really don't see the point in arguing with someone who has such an embarrassing lack of historical awareness. Other than making yourself look like a fool, it's entirely off-topic.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Sorry if I offended I was just curious if the brits have ever won a modern war... I never heard of an occurrence.. but I would be open to learning who they have beat if they have won any war in the 20th century alone.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting timing on the release of this information considering the recent negative comments made by the Archbishop of Canterbury... personally I doubt we would be involved in a mission that used a new type of rotary wing.. we might good allies of the US but not that good an ally when it comes to brand new toys

edit on 8/5/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Australians had an involvement too!

It is just that our role was actually top secret, unlike everyone elses.

I can't say anymore about it...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Instead of worrying if Britain had won a "Modern War" you should ask that of your Own Country. Every war the US has been involved in over the last century has had some sort of British involvement. The only ones i can recall where Britain wasn't involved was Vietnam, and we all know what happened there don't we. The only other i can recall was when the US invaded the Island Of Grenada. Well you did have the help of the Jamaicans. America cannot win a war on it's own.
Britain Invaded the Falkland Islands in the early 1980's and kicked the Argies off. Er.........we did it alone.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by guessing

Im sure they were. I hear that ATS was actually a crucial party to the raid as well, but of course our role is classified above top secret, so even Obama doesnt know.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Originally posted by guessing:

Australians had an involvement too!

It is just that our role was actually top secret, unlike everyone elses.

I can't say anymore about it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another interesting comment/observation, thank you. If that is correct,
(link please
) I am guessing Australia's involvement fell somewhere within these perimeters
:

Functions of ASIS

(1) The functions of ASIS are:

(a) to obtain, in accordance with the Government’s requirements, intelligence about the capabilities, intentions or activities of people or organisations outside Australia; and

(b) to communicate, in accordance with the Government’s requirements, such intelligence; and

(c) to conduct counter‑intelligence activities; and

(d) to liaise with intelligence or security services, or other authorities, of other countries; and

(e) to undertake such other activities as the responsible Minister directs relating to the capabilities, intentions or activities of people or organisations outside Australia.

Source: www.comlaw.gov.au...

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

GGood job beating the Argies then...
Too bad you guys couldn't beat the monarchy back. I kid, I love the brits, the humor is great. And good allies.

Just need to get rid of that bulldog in a dress you call a queen and we can all live happily in the 21st century. America and the brits get along except you guys still live in dungeons and dragon land... sure we lost vietnam, but you guys have knights.. and thats just funny,

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Don't forget the cucumber sandwiches.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Sorry if I offended I was just curious if the brits have ever won a modern war... I never heard of an occurrence.. but I would be open to learning who they have beat if they have won any war in the 20th century alone.

I'm not offended, I believe in giving credit where credit's due. Considering the size of the UK, they punched well above their weight in both world wars, especially in WW2 considering the rest of Europe had been steam-rolled by the Nazi war machine. They also have some of the best trained regiments in the world. Putting aside patriotic leanings, they may not be the most technologically advanced but they are generally considered to have the most skilled and professional soldiers of any army in the world. Not bad for a pokey little island off the shores of mainland Europe

top topics

<<   2 >>

join