It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Reasons Why Barack Obama Wouldn't Vote For Obama

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
People are so confused. Obama didn't triple the debt, he tripled the budget deficit (I believe).

And some of you defending him. Like that is a good thing.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Since you seem unable to check the national debt i break it down for you by presidents.

To make it easier will keep track of the debt in millions:

1978 Carter Democratic $776
1979 Carter Democratic $829
1980 Carter Democratic $1,175
1981 Carter Democratic $1,219
1986 Reagan Republican $2,120
1987 Reagan Republican $2,345
1988 Reagan Republican $2,601
1989 Reagan Republican $2,867
1990 Bush Republican $3,206
1991 Bush Republican $1,610
1992 Bush Republican $1,624
1993 Bush Republican $1,615
1994 Clinton Democratic $4,643
1995 Clinton Democratic $4,920
1996 Clinton Democratic $5,181
1997 Clinton Democratic $5,369
1998 Clinton Democratic $5,478
1999 Clinton Democratic $5,605
2000 Clinton Democratic $5,628
2001 Clinton Democratic $5,769
2002 Bush Republican $6,198
2003 Bush Republican $6,316
2004 Bush Republican $7,354
2005 Bush Republican $7,905
2006 Bush Republican $8,451
2007 Bush Republican $8,951
2008 Bush Republican $9,654
2009 Bush Republican $10,413
2010 Obama Democratic $13,954
2011 Obama Democratic $14,361 * This is as of date of post not full fiscal year

So now you want to argue about the debt some more we have had a debt since the carter administration. Bush took over a debt of 5,769 billion he left a debt to Obama of 10,413 billion after 8 years. In two years Obama at 14.3 trillion.To make it simple for you he will surpass the debt bush created in 8 in just 2 years!! This is why there trying to raise the debt ceiling once again. so clarify how your going to argue this again for me?

PS i know what your talking about but you dont what you were in reference to was budget deficit which is the amount of money the president says he need to run the government the debt is not the same thing.

edit on 5/9/11 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

That is really good info. I belive you're right but just so i can see it what source did you use?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
And if you people read the artical it does talk about more then just the debt.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Konah

Hate to say this, but you're wrong, bud. Our country has never had a surplus, we've had debt all along because of wars. Implying that we went from a surplus to $12trillion deficit in 8 years is just plain false.

Your statistics are only taking into account national debt, and you're completely ignoring revenues. I think the problem here is that you don't understand the difference between debt and a deficit. They are two different things.

The federal budget is measured as debt against revenue, as all budgets are. That is why it is called either a surplus or a deficit. We had a surplus under Clinton when our revenue was greater than our debt. During Bush's terms the debt grew larger than revenue and the budget turned into a deficit.

According to the CBO, the U.S. last had a surplus during fiscal year (FY) 2001. From FY2001 to FY2009, spending increased by 6.5% of GDP (from 18.2% of GDP to 24.7%) while taxes declined by 4.7% of GDP (from 19.5% of GDP to 14.8%).

Source

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

PS i know what your talking about but you dont what you were in reference to was budget deficit which is the amount of money the president says he need to run the government the debt is not the same thing.

No.

The federal budget is what the President gives to Congress at the end of each fiscal year. It is either a deficit or a surplus depending on whether or not revenues are greater than debts. You are correct that debt is not the same thing, but if you knew that then why did you try to counter my point by sourcing the federal debt and not the overall federal budget?

The claim made was that Obama has tripled the US deficit. I proved that claim false by providing the federal budgets for the past three years. The statistics you provided, like the other poster, are the debts only and do not take into account revenues or the total federal budget.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Did you not still compare the surplus of the year before his (Bush's) term to the gross total debt afterwards? You don't think that is misleading?

edit on 5/9/2011 by Konah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Konah

Good point

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When you think about the fact that these are ONLY 7 things and we could go on an on listing more it is crazy to think people still support this guy.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerman24
When you think about the fact that these are ONLY 7 things and we could go on an on listing more it is crazy to think people still support this guy.

Yeah, the thing is no matter how much you dislike Obama for any reasons whatsoever (I hate his supple abs),unless you are actively working on electing a suitable alternative, yo are really just wasting your time.

Bing 'against' is easy. You need to be FOR something. And no, vague ideas like 'freedom' do not count. Specific platform ideas that move us from here to where you think we should be.

Also, learn the difference between debt and deficit.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

I am VERY active in supporting Palin. Drill now Close the border cut spending. I go to events i spread info i give time.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by badgerman24

Deficit: Obama has promised to cut the deficit in HALF by the end of his first term. Um, I don’t want to point out the obvious, but he has tripled it. He has also ran up more debt than all the previous Presidents before him…combined!

This is just plain not true.

The deficit has increased, but it has hardly tripled. The deficit in 2009 under bush was $12.86 trillion. The deficit in 2010 under Obama was $14.078 trillion.

I'm not sure why, but this seems to be the most regularly repeated lie I see on these forums. Obviously, the claim that Obama would cut the deficit in half was a pipe dream. He still has a year and a half to do it, but it's realistically not going to happen.

EDIT: Bush still ran up considerably more debt than Obama has. Clinton had a $128 billion surplus and Bush ran it into a $12 trillion deficit. Granted, that was over 8 years so Obama has time to catch up, but the blog you sourced is rife with inaccuracies.

edit on 8-5-2011 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

No it is 100% true - you just don't understand the article is talking about the yearly debt not the entire accumulated debt. Clinton "allegedly" ran a surplus one year - but we were still in debt over 6 trillion after that. The US has run a deficit every year since WWII - except if you want to believe the accounting tricks from playing with the Social Security funds - for 1 year of Clinton's administration.

That debt figure for 2009 you list - is for the end of 2009 - that has Obama's first year included.

In 4 years Obama is going to run a debt of around 7 trillion and has already run debt of nearly 4 trillion. In Bush's entire 8 years he ran a total debt of under 2 trillion.

Please actually look up the facts before you defend someone blindly when you obviously know nothing about what you are talking about.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

THANK YOU!!! LOL It is way to hard to get through to some people. Even when the facts are right in front of them

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think this thread needs more people to read it now that we are getting closer to the real election i feel this is a very important article. please give it a read.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join