It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New virus found in glacial mud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Adventurous 20-year-old Purdue University student was exploring an ancient glacial cave, untouched since the last ice age, when she made the discovery.
It's not every day that the discovery of an ancient ice age virus makes a welcome headline, but the latest findings of an inspiring 20-year-old student may turn out to be a boon to medical research,

www.mnn.com...

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Cool we found another one maybe we can learn somthing from this.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by w810i

Adventurous 20-year-old Purdue University student was exploring an ancient glacial cave, untouched since the last ice age, when she made the discovery.
It's not every day that the discovery of an ancient ice age virus makes a welcome headline, but the latest findings of an inspiring 20-year-old student may turn out to be a boon to medical research,

www.mnn.com...

i wonder what they will say they have the cure to now with this new research on this virus, lets hope its not a virus that brings back the dead

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well the article states that its a strain that attacks the bacteria that causes tuberculosis. So maybe there is an antidote out there for everything mother nature comes up with.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
she is a little annoying >>>well umm well umm well umm....... any back on topic great find very interesting s&f for you....

this could help alot of people

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

In other words, despite the usual connotation associated with the discovery of a virus, this virus is not harmful to humans. Rather, just the opposite: it is a virus that attacks bacterial strains that could be harmful to humans

This is an amazing discovery! Also a great story. A random choice to get a sample from a cave changes this girls life!

Who knows what else they will discover about this virus. This makes me wonder if there are other viruses like this one out there somewhere.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Thats awesome I hope they find a cure for tuberculosis and at least learn from the new virus. Good to hear some good news OP thanks. star and flag sir.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I can only image the secrets that the rain forests hold!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

There is already a cure for tuberculosis. I believe it is called antibiotics.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
knowing their ethics I wouldn't doubt if they tried to replicate it or attempt to revive it and test it on mice.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

You don’t know ‘their’ ethics. Who are ‘they’ anyway?

Your post does not inspire confidence in your knowledge of science or medicine. An unkind person may speculate that you are merely articulating some prejudice and resentment at those who are cleverer, more knowledgeable and more powerful than yourself.

new topics

top topics

join