It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: All kids, legal or not, entitled to K-12 ed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I think you have to draw the line somewhere. In a broke country it doesn't make sense to leave the burden of illegal immigrants on the taxpayers.

People are getting ripped off left, right, and center and now you are left with these bills for illegals. I have no problem with immigrants at all, in fact, my parents and I were immigrants but the difference is we came legally vs coming illegally and leeching off the system.

Imagine how much money we are losing including the 3 wars, bailouts, and etc!

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_immigration_students;_ylt=AkhQesNzsjFSwSXSYxSlG7Ss0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'NyYTRmc3UyBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTA2L3VzX2ltbWlnc mF0aW9uX3N0dWRlbnRzBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ZlZHNhbGxraWRzbA--]news.yahoo.com[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-5-2011 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Well, hopefully the department of education will not be around much longer anyway...Ron Paul for president!

They don't even phrase correctly...they should say "all kids, legal or not, MUST attend school" and if you don't have money for private school..well..look how that has turned out over the last 50 years.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Well if we're not going to build a wall and they're going to make it in the country, might as well make sure they're not stupid; and while we're at it, maybe teach them some English for God's sake
edit on 6-5-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Well you can also look at private colleges as to how private education can fail as well. The problem here is that parents don't have a choice. Finland has a very good education system and you can decide which public school you want your child to go to, the tax money that is paid is attached to the child, not the school like here in the United States. If a teacher is good then he/she will make more money, the school will also make more money. The schools that don't hire good teachers will fail.
edit on 6-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
"All kids, legal or not, entitled to K-12 ed"

Not if mommy and daddy don't pay taxes!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I agree with the federal government here.

In pretty much every case it is entirely not up to the child if the parents decide to come into the country illegally. Children should not be made to suffer because their parents decided to break the law.

Also, consider the ramifications of this 20 years down the line. Illegal immigrants are not going anywhere. Our complete failure to secure our borders and inability to reform immigration laws have seen to that. Would you rather have 10 million completely uneducated kids running around with no idea how to speak English or function in society, or 10 million kids who had somewhat of a decent education (our public schools aren't exactly the best) and can speak English and perhaps actually contribute something to society?

There is a definite witchhunt against illegal immigrants in this country, for better or worse. But the children are innocent. Do not extend your malice to the next generation, because it may come back to bite you in the ass.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, that's pretty messed up.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Imagine how much money we are losing including the 3 wars, bailouts, and etc!

I dont think public education is the reason why we are in debt. In fact, you list the reasons above.

But I'm sure the corporations would agree with you that education is unimportant; it only leads to higher aspirations and increased IQ, two things those 'ptb' despise.

Tell you what; you get some of the folks complaining about how expensive education is to significantly and substantially cut the military budget and then we can talk about education.
edit on 6-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Well why does one child get to enjoy the same luxuries as another when one's parents pay high taxes while the other work cash money? How is that fair to the legal working families?

By that logic we should all work cash money and let someone else pay for my children's school.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

You rely can't grasp how the entire society benefits from people being educated? Really? IS your anger clouding your reason? You and I both benefit when ALL kids have a reasonable level of education.

Also, 'illegals' DO pay taxes, so that's a misnomer. There are far more taxes than just income, including sales tax, which contributes to the same state coffers that then contribute to state ed funds. TO pretend that only 'legals' pay taxes is just plain inaccurate.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Immigration is a very hot button issue in this country and all over the world. We are not the only country with immigration problems, we are however one of the most Pollitically Correct countries involving what needs to be done.

We as a country have failed to properly secure our borders and our country has suffered as a recourse of these actions. Our products are becoming printed in half english, half spanish, and the majority of our telephone services, internet, credit cards, etc. etc. instruct you to "Press one for english" whenever you make a call.

I have nothing wrong with immigrants IF they follow the set proceedures to legally enter this country. What I do have a problem with (and many years experience directly dealing with) is illegal immigrants entering the country, not bothering to even TRY and speak english, have their kids translate for them the most basic needs and consistantly reproduce without reason while putting more strain on our financial system.

I am not racist, I am not a bigot, but I have seen and dealt with these kinds of people directly. I also know some immigrants (not all from Mexico) that have fought and scraped to get where they are and I hold them in the highest respect, even if they speak broken english, they are trying. However to subscribe to the idea that the children are the victims and to give the parents a pass is exactly why we are in this situation. Yes, children have no bearing on what their parents do, but that does not relieve the parents from wrongdoing or the responsibility to take care of their children properly.

I don't agree that we should provide required education to immigrant children, but I do think that if the parents try and enter the system as it is intended, then we should extend our hand and help. By giving them another excuse, we are furthering the list of reasons why they come here in the first place. I agree with Arizona's laws that were passed recently and I don't think they are profiling; I think they are the few people stepping up to address a problem that has long been overdue for an overhaul.

Foreign countries should have systems set up like ours to aid children in difficult situations, it should not be up to the american taxpayers (and myself) to support every child that is subject to hard circumstances and bad parents. I have enough to worry about just supporting my own children, and making sure they speak english, not spanish.

King

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
So, it is illegal for a school to question a student or parents about immigration status...

But, a homeless citizen may be held criminally and financially responsible for enrolling her child in the wrong school district.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What in hell is wrong with our country?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It is a firm and solid belief of this nation that all school aged children regardless of status have a unequivocal right to an education and to those trying to deny all children this right have already forfeited your rights to complain and are Anti Human and Anti American.

The public educational system is something that is needed as it levels the playing field for all.
edit on 15-5-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I tend to agree with you. I'm in no way a supporter of illegal immigration, but I also don't think that we should punish children for the irresponsible actions of their parents. You can make the morality argument, certainly, but the political reality is that the vast majority of the ones that are here aren't going to be deported anytime soon. If they're going to be here, its in our longer term interest to at least educate them so that they may be at least somewhat productive in our society rather than living on the fringes and quite possibly turning to crime as a way to survive.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Some of these comments are disgusting. Really some of y'all are saying children don't deserve an education or have a right to one. Especially those who who come here with Immigrant parents and have no choice but to be here. What they suppose to do here not learn. Do some of you know how hard is it for a foreign kid to come to this country w/o knowing English, trying to learn and adapt to their new living situation. The public schools hardly do a good job trying teach these kids whether they are Immigrants or not the new language. Not every kid that's from another country who comes here with their parents are Immigrants i hope you know.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
In a just and humane society, this is the ONLY sane and responsible choice. It isn't the children's fault and to not educate them dooms them to a life of crime or subsistance work. Those of you screaming about lack of money would so well to understand it costs far more to pay for the ravages to society of legions of uneducated, underground populations than it does to mainstream people.

As for those with other arguments against, my only response is that you are cruel and inhumane, as are so many of your evangelical cult mates.

top topics

join