It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless woman prosecuted for enrolling son in Conn. school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Homeless woman prosecuted for enrolling son in Conn. school

news.yahoo.com

Connecticut authorities have filed theft charges against Tanya McDowell, a homeless woman, alleging that she used a false address to enroll her son in a higher-income school district, The Stamford Advocate reports. If she's convicted, McDowell may end up in jail for as many as 20 years and pay a $15,000 fine for the crime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
current.com

edit on 4/23/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed long source link

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Can you believe this? This looks like Class Wars at it's finest. How dare a homeless woman give her child a better education! Sickening that someone can get 20 years in jail for trying to raise their class level.

We need to not be so afraid of letting the lower class better themselves. If they can't keep up, then they will not succeed just like the rest of us. So why not allow someone with a view from the bottom up to come in?(rhetorical question)

[url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110422/us_yblog_thelookout/homeless-woman-prosecuted-for-enrolling-son-in-conn-school]news.yahoo.com[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Stringycheeseman

they didnt prosecute her for ENROLLING her son into the school, they are prosecuting her for using a FALSE ADDRESS

Connecticut authorities have filed theft charges against Tanya McDowell, a homeless woman, alleging that she used a false address to enroll her son in a higher-income school district, The Stamford Advocate reports. If she's convicted, McDowell may end up in jail for as many as 20 years and pay a $15,000 fine for the crime.

she DID have an address she COULD HAVE USED, she didnt want to:

McDowell says she stayed in a Norwalk homeless shelter sometimes--but she didn't register there, which would have made her son eligible to attend the school.

people need to stop rabble rousing and using sensational headlines
Thread title fail

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Wtf? Illegal immigrants who are in this country illegally are allowed to attend our public schools -- for free, but a US citizen goes to jail for sending her kid to a school in the wrong district? America is definitely going to hell.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by Stringycheeseman

they didnt prosecute her for ENROLLING her son into the school, they are prosecuting her for using a FALSE ADDRESS

she DID have an address she COULD HAVE USED, she didnt want to:

McDowell says she stayed in a Norwalk homeless shelter sometimes--but she didn't register there, which would have made her son eligible to attend the school.

people need to stop rabble rousing and using sensational headlines
Thread title fail

Yeah, its a mistermeaner in Canada. A false address is a slap on the wrist. A 20 year sentence higher than most rapists get, and many murderers. GET REAL!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
She broke the law it's theft no matter how you want to spin it. So your kid doesn't go to the best school, life goes on. Should education be equal across the board? Yes, why isn't it? Ask the unions about that I am sure they would love to point you in a hundred different directions except place the blame where it belongs.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

a law broke is a law broke, if its robbing a bank or jaywalking

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stringycheeseman

Can you believe this? This looks like Class Wars at it's finest.

Not necessarily.

She's not a resident nor taxpayer of said school district therefore her child/or children are ineligible to attend. Quite simple, actually.

Back in the late 70s my cousin's family moved just prior to the start of his senior year. Since their new residence was in an adjoining school district he was ineligible to attend and graduate from Littlestown. Hence my aunt and uncle had to pay a 'tuition' of sorts for him to finish out his senior year amongst those classmates he'd basically grown up with.

Nothing's changed, in that respect, and while I can certainly empathize with someone's desire for their child to attend the best schools possible; it really does boil down to it being unfair to those who Actually live in the district, those who Actually pay for its teachers, administration and physical maintenance of buildings/grounds via their school and property taxes.

There was another case like this discussed here somewhat recently. The woman used her father's address for her kids to attend what she felt was a 'better school'. In that case I felt there was a bit more of a gray area since her father is/was obviously a resident and taxpayer within the school district the kids had been attending ... that that case was ultimately more one of semantics and quite likely used to merely 'send a message' to others who might attempt the same.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It's basically a simple case of Contract Fraud, and the 20 year sentence would be handed down to a career criminal or someone having defrauded hundreds of millions of dollars.

They always quote the high end of the sentencing guidelines for a crime, that are tiered to award stiffer sentences to those with increasingly more signifigant criminal histories, and for higher and higher dollar amounts of theft or loss as a result of the fruad.

The woman is probably looking at some community service unless she has a signifigant history as a convicted felon.

Makes for a great headline.

Meanwhile a relieved child now no longer has to say five days a week "Mom please don't pick me up from school in the shopping cart!"

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
"McDowell says she stayed in a Norwalk homeless shelter sometimes--but she didn't register there, which would have made her son eligible to attend the school.

"I had no idea whatsoever that if you enroll your child in another school district, it becomes a crime," the 33-year-old told the paper."

Sorry but from the article it's quite clear that it is her own damn fault. How hard is it, to register with the homeless shelter and give that adress? Her son could've gone to the school, no problems and i bet, not even the other kids would've found out that his mother is homeless.
Now, thanks to her stupidity it's all over the news and one can imagine, how much that poor little kid will get bullied from the others 'Haha, you're mother is homeless' 'Haha, you're mother broke the law'.
Congratulations to her, she really f***d it up!

And what stupid excuse is that? 'I didn't know that...jeez.
I know a lot of people will only read the headline and jump to the conclussion, that all the laws are evil and everyone is evil, except for that poor woman who didn't meant no harm

Yeah, the possible sentence is too harsh, but it say's "as many years' it doesn't mean she will go for 20 years behind bars
I doubt she will get such a harsh sentence.
edit on 23/4/2011 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Unless it's the banksters doing the robbing, then it's A-OK!

I think this woman should not be having to deal with this stupidity.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

a law broke is a law broke, if its robbing a bank or jaywalking

Really. So if you jaywalk, a crime only in the eyes of BIG Brother, but actually not if your heart says that making this law is a crime against humanity, And that obeying a Crime is Criminal, but jaywalking or enrolling your child in a school IS A MAJOR CRIME, its not even a crime. its a nothing. Very small activity. You think 20 years is approriate. Not even one day is appropriate!

US FASICISM. USES SLAVE LABOR OF CITIZENS IN PRISONS TO COMPETE WITH CHINA.

Criminalize everyone and imprison the slaves.

Anyone who supports any of this, reprogram your brain, its malfuncitoning. Too much flouride. Or, you work for them. NO in betweens.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Agreed, i know a guy who got 7 years for attempted murder, he clubbed the hell outta his Grandpa for an inheritance.... 20 years for being poor.

This is like equating rear end rape to stealing 20 bucks.
I know which one i'd rather have done to me, heck i'll throw in 20 bucks more if you leave me intact.
Alaw broke is a law broke right?
20 years sounds like a felony, for wanting a better education for your child...

For those that can only see the "law" as the victim for that darn woman who lied and stole!!
/end sarcasm
You have my pity.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This tugs at the heart strings. I don't give a damn what the law says but this woman had every right to enroll her child into a school to try and give him a better life then she had (although being homeless doesn't look as bad, because let's face it, they know true values, at least the 'sane' ones). 'Illegals' down there enroll their kids into school yet your very own citizen can't, even though there is but no difference? hypocrisy at it's finest. I wish the woman the best that she gets a judge that knows true values of Human life, rather then what words say they can or cannot do.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Total agreement, anyone should be able to choose where to enroll.

But beyond that,what kind of laws and sentences are Americans Accepting. You guys do have a say.

The comment I read above is not made by a citizen, no real people talk like that. I would expect that kind of programmed fascist comment to come from a Chinese Government official or some other paramilitary. So if real people are spouting the rhetoric of the controllers and Nazi's, this is major programming.

This woman needs to be Supported by Large Crowds of People Gathering at the Courthouse and People Need To Do This All The Time. I recommend bullhorns and legislators buildings too!

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If I were on that jury, there would be a jury nullification of that absurd law.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

If it were within my power, i would applaud you for this post.
It gives me hope that some folks understand what Nullified Jury means.

So you'll just have to settle for my star.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If she was eligable to register from the shelter,and stayed there then no crime was committed save the wrong address....
The kid should go and the mom should be left alone.period.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Wtf? Illegal immigrants who are in this country illegally are allowed to attend our public schools -- for free, but a US citizen goes to jail for sending her kid to a school in the wrong district? America is definitely going to hell.

Going?

Gone!

Another line because it seems annoyingly necessary.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The thread posting rules say that you MUST put the title of the thread as the news source reporting it has given it. My bad for following the rules.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join