It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mob of Thieves Swarms Las Vegas Convenience Store

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

You're not making any sense. In Nevada, its easy to obtain a concealed carry permit, and open carry doesn't require one.

They were free to carry guns, but they chose not to. Now, if the employee was intelligent, and made the choice to bring a gun to work, we would be looking at a different outcome. Unfortunately that is not the case.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by rubbertramp
if true, then dis-regard my last replies.
i'm going to watch this again.
i just didn't see it.

I was replying to the poster who said ''this is why everyone should carry guns''. If everyone were carrying guns then that would include the thieves.

You'd have to be a kamikaze employee to draw a gun in that situation, thereby nullifying the use of being armed in that situation.

So basically you are saying.....let the criminals continue to be armed (which they do not do by legal means) but do not let the people who follow the law carry guns (legally) to protect themselves.

Good Lord....that is NOT a world I wish to live in....
edit on May 6th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
They had 19 guns? How do you know this? Or are you just assuming? And why would you assume?
The fact that, that is your reasoning to not allow citizens to arm themselves is.........well....ridiculous.

You said '''this is why everyone should carry guns''.

That includes the thieves !

I wasn't saying that they were armed in this incident. I am just pointing out how flawed this aspect of the pro-gun argument is. If everyone carried guns then these incidents would be just as commonplace.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

They had 19 guns? How do you know this? Or are you just assuming? And why would you assume?
The fact that, that is your reasoning to not allow citizens to arm themselves is.........well....ridiculous.

You said '''this is why everyone should carry guns''.

That includes the thieves !

I wasn't saying that they were armed in this incident. I am just pointing out how flawed this aspect of the pro-gun argument is. If everyone carried guns then these incidents would be just as commonplace.

It is not flawed. Criminals obtain guns by illegal means. They are already carrying guns! If I am not allowed to carry a gun, I am 100% defenseless against them. However, if I am allowed to carry a gun - take classes, learn to shoot - then I have a shot (no pun intended) of protecting myself!

It is not flawed unless you look at it all in a skewed way. Taking away MY RIGHT does not mean that they have no guns!! It means I'm defenseless! But this is not about me, persay, just people in general. I live in a state that allows me to carry....

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
reply to post by greeneyedleo

i knew that would get attention.
i guess i'm just not as quick to convict.
they purposely kept it a non-violent crime, unless someone can point out all the weapons i missed.
did anyone see anyone threaten the cashier or other customers?
the loss quoted wasn't as high as i would have assumed.
driving a car into the front of a jewelry store and gang of masked men robbing it would be a step up.
lets investigate this a bit and decide what level of seriousness this deserves.
i was a store owner for 10 years, and i can tell you this, besides the 'overwhelming' factor,
this was not a very threatening robbery.
a couple of masked dudes pointing guns in every ones faces while breaking stuff and yelling is.

edit on 6-5-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

This is not just a one time crime. It is prevalent across the country. Not much loss? A store in DC had this happen and they lost $20,000 - that is twenty thousand dollars - and now the shop owner is changing how they let customers in. Im not sure how anyone could take this crime lightly. They are criminals regardless how one perceives the severity of it. Appeasement of criminals will always confuse me.

this is the first example i've seen, and first time i've so much as heard of it.
i was aware of flash mobs in malss, but that is it.

like i said, i just want to look into this before judging the level of seriousness.
i'll look into other examples, thanx for mentioning this.

Appeasement of criminals will always confuse me

ah, so not only have you expertly investigated the video in the op, but you also know my intentions.
people who jump to conclusions so quickly kinda' scare me a bit for reasons.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Just going on your words. That is all.
Making excuses for criminal behavior is appeasement, IMO.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

reply to post by rubbertramp

Just going on your words. That is all.
Making excuses for criminal behavior is appeasement, IMO.

i never did such a thing, my first reply was obvious sarcasm.
if i'm appeasing, your a hangin' judge.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

This is a new trend sweeping across the country. Just do a google search of Flash Mob Robbery....

to be honest, they did not seem to me to be 'gang banger' types at all.
looked to me like it was a bunch of decent high school kids.
they were all laughing and having fun, not hiding faces.
i think it was some sort of prank or a mind control op

This is not high school joke or prank. These are criminals who plan and commit a serious crime.

This is why everyone should be allowed to carry guns and when these idiots decide to mob a retailer and steal....the employee can hold them all at gunpoint until police arrive.

And for anyone to tell us not to bring race into this is ridiculous.....let people form their own opinions...do not dictate how one should feel or respond. Thanks! Go to the link I provided and watch all the videos....and decide for yourself....

Agreed. I'm seeing this more & more. They even have lookouts posted watching for the police.
In NYC a lot of stores are locked & they buzz people in one at a time, no groups. I urge everyone
to stock up on weapons & ammo because this isn't going to get better.
Ruthlessly make an example of em' I say.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
Do you have even a single iota of evidence that any of those mental infants had a gun?

I'm guessing not.

I'm basing it on the pro-gun argument that if everyone carries one then that would act as a deterrent to criminals.

In that scenario, most, if not all, of these thieves would also be carrying a gun.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
ok, seems to be 2 different camps.
let me get this straight.

camp 1; this is a violent crime, the mob being near equal a threat as pointing a shotgun at a clerk and demanding money.
should be investigated as such, resources spent, individuals involved facing felony charges.

camp 2. this is a serious crime because of the numbers involved but is still basically shop lifting or a step above.
a bunch of misdemeanor charges, community service and maybe a night or 2 in jail.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I was replying to the OP's first line which mentioned race. I then addressed any perceived racial aspect to the incident, and made my observations on why I didn't think it was a race issue.

I fail to see why that's ironic.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

You are making an infantile argument that is not based in reality. If they wanted to carry guns, they could have. Nothing stopped them.

If the employee was smart ( which they most likely are not given that they work in a convenience store in a bad part of town), they would have chose to arm themselves and end the criminal careers of a few of those animals.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Blacks commit exponentially more crimes than whites per capita.

It is a race issue.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Scary stuff. Just the latest and greatest of what's to come as the economy goes down, down, down. Hope not.

And for anyone to tell us not to bring race into this is ridiculous.....let people form their own opinions...do not dictate how one should feel or respond.

Can you tell me how is this statement is dictating anything?: Can people respond to this news clip without racist comments, I wonder ?"

Looks to me like a question or musing.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

You're not making any sense. In Nevada, its easy to obtain a concealed carry permit, and open carry doesn't require one.

Of course I'm making sense.

If the employee was armed, then, once again, he would be absolutely crazy to draw his gun on a large group of people who may also be packing.

Also, if it became widespread and commonplace for shop owners to carry guns, then that would increase the likelihood of the criminally-minded making sure they were armed.

They were free to carry guns, but they chose not to.

There is no way of knowing whether one or more of them was, or wasn't, carrying a gun.

Certainly the shop owner wouldn't have known that, either.

Now, if the employee was intelligent, and made the choice to bring a gun to work, we would be looking at a different outcome. Unfortunately that is not the case.

If the thieves were intelligent, then they would make sure they were also carrying a gun before they decided to steal from the store.

That's why this pro-gun argument of ''everyone carrying'' doesn't make sense and just perpetuates the problem.

If more law-abiding people start carrying guns, then more criminals will have a necessity to also carry.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
When you get a large number of kids together (wow here I am calling them kids, I'm getting oooold) like that and they didn't attack or hurt anyone? God bless, a few stolen drinks is not a big deal, but why're you folks talking about guns and gun control? No guns were pulled here, but I guarantee you if the clerk had brandished a firearm, he would have been risking a few lives including his own - With a mob of that size, the clerk pulling a firearm could most likely lead to his own demise. That is assuming none of those kids were armed.

Good thing they all seemed to be in a pretty decent mood. Now flash mobs, yes that is where the issue is with this one, but what could be done to prevent it? What laws would need to be passed? No groups of under 30s larger than 3 or 4 people? Could you imagine law enforcement trying to enforce that?!

TL;DR: Firearms not the answer for flash mob encounters, increase likelihood of violence.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili Now, if the employee was intelligent, and made the choice to bring a gun to work, we would be looking at a different outcome. Unfortunately that is not the case.

my poppa' always told me, don't show anyone your gun unless you're ready to blow their head off.
why escalate a situation like this?
is the store merchandise worth even contemplating the escalation once guns are drawn?
if there was a baby needing rescue or other circumstances, it would be different.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
All these ignorant fools mob-robbing this store are doing is JUSTIFYING the SURVEILLANCE SOCIETY.

They are requiring big brother to set up shop.

Also, this is yet another form of welfare - the store owner will have to start raising prices to make up for the losses he incurs from these kinds of shoplifting events.

In the end, IGNORANCE doesn't discriminate against any race. Ignorance will just as happily take over a black inner city youth as an elder white U.S. Politician.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

So basically you are saying.....let the criminals continue to be armed (which they do not do by legal means) but do not let the people who follow the law carry guns (legally) to protect themselves.

Good Lord....that is NOT a world I wish to live in....

Obviously in the US, where there is such a deep-rooted gun culture ingrained in their society, firearms could not be banned overnight. It would probably take decades of gradual phasing out to get rid of the attitudes towards guns that have been inherent in the USA since its inception.

I don't blame you, or any other American, for being hostile towards the idea of gun-control, as people are largely a product of the society and culture that they were brought up in.

Criminals may still get hold of guns, but it's likely that most wouldn't take the risk because of the stiff sentence that they would face.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

are you kidding me?

if criminals knew that every law abiding citizen was armed, they would most certainly be hesistant before trying to pull a gun out.

edit to add: i see that you are from England. i now understand why you don't get the "pro-gun argument" as you call it. too many years of propaganda. i remember several years ago some brain child in your parliament trying to outlaw pointy kitchen knives to limit stabbing deaths

edit on 6-5-2011 by BlesUTP because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join