It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blast from the past: Old school Survival... cowboy style

page: 1

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:41 PM
Let me introduce you to the
Rossi Ranch Hand Lever-Action Pistol
Old school made new again, new for 2011 that is..
basically a shortened Model ‘92 Winchester lever gun replica, but built from the beginning as a pistol, thus eliminating the need to register the weapon as a short-barreled rifle in the US. Making these arms as pistols means that if you can legally buy a handgun, you can legally buy these shortened rifle-style pistols.

For you non cowboy action shooting buffs This style of weapon is commonly known as a Mare’s Leg
I'm sure most of the folks on here are thinking, "What the hell is a Mare's leg"????
to answer that Let me ask if you ever saw the old TV show Firefly?

They come in three flavors..
.44 mag
and naturally the king cowboy round the .45 long colt
MSRP is $500 but doing a fast google search I found plenty of them for just a bit over $300
Remember you'll not only need the nice leather hip holster you'll also need the long cowboy duster jacket to go with

edit on 5-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:45 PM
that is really cool although its a little big for my taste...for a pistol anyway

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:51 PM

Originally posted by nikkibee
that is really cool although its a little big for my taste...for a pistol anyway

I never said it was practical and I've never been much good when it comes to hip shooting
but you know boys and their toys... I still want one...

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
wonderful wonderful wonderful! I've wanted one for so long but I never wanted the pay the SBR price.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:27 PM
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yeah i have seen more than a few of those, they also market them as the "terminator gun" like arnie used in the second movie i think.
My first worry was, I don't know if it was Kalifornia or US law but , here i cannot have a pistol capable of firing a rifle round.
But i see this line sticks to pistol calibers.
Yep, I cannot buy a Thompson Contender...
My second bit o whining is, it is a lever gun, i had a marlin 30-30 years back and was devastated to see it did not live up to my expectations, the design is over a century old, there should be no probs.
Now years back I got a 44 Vaquero from my Dad for Xmas it is a great novelty gun and i shoot it evry once in a while but i have yet to use it as a primary for reasonalble reasons.
In short if I had money to blow, I'd prolly pick one up for grins and giggles.
I just have bigger ducks to fry is all.
But memory lane is a nice place to visit.

Chuck Conners comes to mind for me more than Sarah Conner.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:30 PM
how much for the modified one that hold a 30 roundclip?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:35 PM
reply to post by rubbertramp

Not clip, magazine tubular mag in fact.
With each round measuring about 1.6 inches the magazine would be 48 inches alone, without feed spring!!!
I would suggest just affixing a bayonet to the end of the mag and saving ammo!

That would be a huge mag either way!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:52 PM
hmm those old school survialists probably would have preferred a semi auto or full auto assualt rifle.

different weapons for different times.

back in the day when i didnt know any better and in the prime of my youth yeah i would have bought into this.

now that im older and wisers and perhaps a bit more lazy i prefer semi auto assualt rifles either the ar or the ak.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
reply to post by neo96

Just like Fords and Chevy's we all have our own likes... for me I'd rather pick up a Fn SCAR over a AR...
But a nifty toy like this would sure draw a gathering at the shooting range

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:00 PM
reply to post by DaddyBare

indeed to each their own

its your money.