It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PlayStation hack: Sony blames Anonymous hacktivists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Anonymous are to blame for PSN outage, new evidence from Sony

www.telegraph.co.uk

In a detailed letter about the security breach to a US Congressional committee, Kazuo Hirai, chairman of the electronics giant, said the the file discovered by investigators was named "Anonymous" with the words "We are Legion", part of the Anonymous motto
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 5-5-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well, for quite some time anonymous has been denying involvement in this matter. Now it seems that Sony has proof that they were indeed involved.

I know there is many users on here that is anti sony, because of the whole removal of the other OS issue. Claiming that sony took something away wich they sold with the original product.

However, i wonder how many of these users even used the other os feature, or how many even was aware of it. It just seems like everyone jumped on the bandwagon, even though it had no impact on them personally.

I therefore applaud Sony for doing anything it can to track down these cyber terrorists and punish them to the full extend of the law.

VVV

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
is it still down ?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I could have sworn I read an article where the group did take responsibility for the hacks in retaliation for the young 21 year old hacker Sony was taking to court. It keeps going back and forth for me lol

edit on 5-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by pearcester

It is indeed mate.

It is promised that it will be back up and runnign this week.

With some goodies as an apology from sony. 30 day Playstation Plus membership, and some other specials as well.

VVV

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
ahh cool. Not that its really bothers me as i dont use it much i only really play cod but thats getting boring so im into GT5 now...

always in the cockpit

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

I could have sworn I read an article where the group did take responsibility for the hacks in retaliation for the young 21 year old hacker Sony was taking to court. It keeps going back and forth for me lol

edit on 5-5-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

Nope. Since this happenned anonymous has stated they had no involvement, but that they can't ruled out that maybe a member went rogue and did it on his own. They as a collective though were not involved, or so they claimed.

Also the person you are talking about is known as "Geohot" and that courtcase was settled out of court.

VVV

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I thought Anon just pulled their usual DDoS on the PSN, then stopped once they realized it was the gamers and not the company that they were hurting, then some other hacker(s) broke into the actual network and stole all of the information. I swear I read an apology from Anon on here where they said they were sorry to all of the gamers who the unintentionally affected with their operation against Sony.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Sony are not blaming Anonymous for the theft of data, they are blaming them for inadvertently diverting attention whilst another (supposedly unrelated) hacker managed to sneak in and steal all the personal data.

The Anonymous attack was indeed in retaliation to the prosecution of another hacker.

BBC

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
My take on it? Sony got hacked, and said it wasn't anonymous that did it (source). TPTB had other plans in mind; hack the network and rile up some real hatred towards anonymous so they would lose momentum in their fight against authority. When Sony said anonymous had nothing to do with it, TPTB hacked them again; this time leaving evidence of anonymous' involvement, or plain out gave the order to Sony to say it was them all the time.

Of course, it could have been anonymous all the time. I just think that denying all the ps3-gamers all over the world multi player availability for weeks is about the most damaging thing they could ever do. How many of those players supported them before, and how many supports them now? I think there is a drastic change in that number.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Well were all entitled to our own opinions, but ways I sees it, if I was going to steal data at that level of security and from such a huge well known company, guess what, I would make sure and leave a little sign that pointed at the other guy and not me....

yeah we all know Anon has pulled their little stunts or not so little, but stealing nearly a 100 million peoples sensitive data and possibly CC's? Nah, I don't see Anon doing it. DDOS, tagging a website, oh yeah, but not this...That's my opinion, so whatever.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pearcester
ahh cool. Not that its really bothers me as i dont use it much i only really play cod but thats getting boring so im into GT5 now...

always in the cockpit
Only if your flatscreen is bigger then 107cm across

What's your PS network name. I love GT5. When we are back online, we race online? I am good

edit on 5-5-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Sell out troll... Go ahead and applaud them, just like all the other sheep .....Yah for you security ..good job fellas!.... Sony doesn't need all this heat being the small homestead that it is..... They handle things with Integrity....

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DayKnightmare

THE PS1 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE SNES-CD. NINTENDO HACKED THEM!!!!!
Im not crazy I will add linx

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The console's origins date back to 1986 where it was originally a joint project between Nintendo and Sony to create a CD-ROM for the Super Famicom/SNES console.[13]........

The deal was broken by Nintendo after they were unable to come to an agreement on how revenue would be split between the two companies.

The breaking of the partnership infuriated Sony President Norio Ohga, who responded by appointing Kutaragi with the responsibility of developing of the PlayStation project to rival Nintendo.[14]

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

At Sony Music, Kutaragi worked closely with Shigeo Maruyama, the CEO of Sony Music, and with Akira Sato to form Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. (SCEI) in November 1993.[15] A building block of SCEI was its initial partnership with Sony Music which helped SCEI attract creative talent to the company as well as assist SCEI in manufacturing, marketing and producing discs, something that Sony Music had been doing with Music Discs. The final two key members of SCEI were Terry Tokunaka, the President of SCEI from Sony's headquarters, and Olaf Olafsson. Olafsson was CEO and president of New York based Sony Interactive Entertainment which was the mother company for the 1994-founded Sony Computer Entertainment of America (SCEA).

The PlayStation project, SCEI's first official project, was finally given the green light by Sony executives in 1993 after a few years of development. Also in 1993, Phil Harrison, who would later become President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, was recruited into SCEI to attract developers and publishers to produce games for their new PlayStation platform.[14]

There!! Its all there draw the conclusions u want

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DayKnightmare

Sell out troll... Go ahead and applaud them, just like all the other sheep .....Yah for you security ..good job fellas!.... Sony doesn't need all this heat being the small homestead that it is..... They handle things with Integrity....

Dude, why you calling me a troll???

I posted a news article, and surely are not trolling anything. Yes, i do believe sony is trying to make the best of this situation, so i do applaud them. I don't think Sony deserves all the bad press and flack they are getting.

VVV

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Ok that was innapropriate... I tent to get imotional.. Im actually on your side I love sony and Nintendo were the fatcat sellouts that what became sony(console aspect) Diverged from to form something that was REAL ART and not fitting a paradigm or demographic. Which someone who is yeilding to a wannabe world power would wanna stomp out the real artists. IE Nintendo

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
1/Hack sony network

2/ Create a file named "we are Anonymous We are Legion"

3/ Accuse Anonymous of your failed server security

4/ ????????????????????????????????

5/ PROFIT !

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If "anon" takes credit for anything, you can bet "anon" had nothing to do with it.... There is a reason they call themself "anon", and they have made themself an easy scapegoat.... "Anon" is not a secret fight club or something like that....
edit on Thu, 05 May 2011 05:47:27 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join