It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream news corp now highlighting incoming asteroid.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
OK, so its early hours in the UK, and i start to do my usual ritual before going to bed, and what do you know, the Sun newspaper online, run an article about YU55 coming to Earth in November.

Now i recall seeing various posts on ATS about this before, but what i find strange is they mention YU55, but nothing about Elenin....

On the newspaper site it gives the size of YU55, the distance from Earth and how much it weighs, but no mention of Elenin, which i would imagine to be bigger than this one from some of the comments Ive seen on ATS, plus i think Elenin is due before November. Around October if im correct.

Is this normal to be reporting on one and yet no real word on the other?

And although the sun newspaper in the UK does run some exaggerated and BS stories some times, the Sun newspaper is most read paper in Britain. This is all a bit weird.

Heres the link. The Sun online.

Any thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

BD

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Elenin is only a big deal here on the internet and mostly because of misinformation.

It’s not that big.
It’s not that close.
It’s not going to hit us.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

If true that will be a relief, so i guess i don't have to cancel christmas, which is good.
Hmmm, but then it also means i will have to carry on paying the higher purchase on my car.
Not so good.

Thanks for the added comment.

link   
Post removed

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 10/7/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

link   
Take it with grain of salt, but here's a cool link to read...

www.realnewsreporter.com...

here's a link to NASA's Solar System Dynamics:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Seems it was reported earlier:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Heres another with a pic of it:
www.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ghr54321

Hey thanks for the links, seems to be a lot of info in support and against this whole Elenin and other asteroids theories.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Que Sera, Sera.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

Thanks topherman420, that radar image of it was great. Gonna read the rest of the page now.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I believe I made these pictures about this asteroid. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Enlargement.

Perspective.

Is this what you are talking about? If so looks pretty insignificant.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackDove

the Sun newspaper is most read paper in Britain.

BD

Mainly due to page 3

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I wish ATS members would stop worrying about Comet Elenin. It is a normal long period comet that will make a reasonably close approach to Earth. However, the term "close approach" is relative. The calculated "miss" distance is 0.24 AU (approximately 36 million kms), which is 90 times the distance to the Moon!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
I wish ATS members would stop worrying about Comet Elenin. It is a normal long period comet that will make a reasonably close approach to Earth. However, the term "close approach" is relative. The calculated "miss" distance is 0.24 AU (approximately 36 million kms), which is 90 times the distance to the Moon!

You are right about Elenin distance, but the unknown data and the main problem is Its TAIL....

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pearcester

Originally posted by BlackDove

the Sun newspaper is most read paper in Britain.

BD

Mainly due to page 3

I did not understand the page 3 commit. I did some checking on this.
I found out about the SUN newspaper page 3.
I found a link for the Sun page 3 that I can not post here.
I wonder if I can get this paper in the US?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackDove

Nickleback is a very popular band and a lot of people listen to their music.

That doesn't make them any good, however.

The same is true for THE SUN.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I just like page 3.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Just view it online ha ha ha.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Elenin is only a big deal here on the internet and mostly because of misinformation.

It’s not that big.
It’s not that close.

Please be so kind as to explain:

If you have measured it, and surely you have with that statement, just what size is it then?

As you obviously are very keen on this, please inform us as to how many miles it is away then?

As you can see into the future, please tell us what to expect in two weeks from today?

Do you see where these blatant statements have taken you Pauligirl?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It’s not that big.
It’s not that close.

While that may be true...( possible ), i still think there is something else.

Not sure what, not enough dots to connect and see the entire picture yet...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

It’s not that big.
It’s not that close.

Please be so kind as to explain:

If you have measured it, and surely you have with that statement, just what size is it then?

From Leonid Elenin

I can’t exactly answer on this question, I estimate size as 3-4 kilometers in diameter. We can determine size of nucleus by photometry measurements of comet nucleus. But in our case comet is active and they was active when I discovered it. For the rough size estimate I used several images of my comet taken by 2-m Faulkes Telescope North. I tried to exclude influence of coma but this measurements still approximate. If Arecibo will observe my comet, we can determine nucleus size with high accuracy.

spaceobs.org...
If Arecibo observes it, I'll post the findings here.

As you obviously are very keen on this, please inform us as to how many miles it is away then?

Again, from Leonid Elenin

At the end of June 2011, Comet Elenin will cross the orbit of the fourth planet of the Solar System – Mars. It must be noted that from April to June, the comet did not come closer to the Earth, but moved “parallel” with it. Right at the beginning of July, the comet will begin to very quickly move toward our planet. I again want to emphasize, the comet will pass 35 million kilometers from the Earth. It is an absolutely safe distance, just a little closer to the Earth than the second planet, Venus, comes.

spaceobs.org...

As you can see into the future, please tell us what to expect in two weeks from today?

In relation to Elenin? Just more fearmongering on the net. What do you expect two week from today?

Do you see where these blatant statements have taken you Pauligirl?

Actually, I don't.
Oh, in two or three weeks , you may actually get to see it.

As I wrote earlier, NASA is interested in observing Comet C/2010 X1 (Elenin) with the space coronagraphs SOHO and STEREO. Not long ago I received a reply from Joseph B. Gurman to the effect that starting July 17 they will be running pointing tests on the space telescope STEREO-B. The spacecraft will be rotated as will be necessary to do in the future to observe the comet. If all the tests are successful, of which the STEREO team has no doubt, they will observe Comet Elenin from July 31 to August 12, two hours a day. The minimal distance (July 31 2011, 12:40 UT) between comet and spacecraft will be 7.4 million km (0.049 AU). Plans to observe the comet using SOHO with different fliters are also in the works.

spaceobs.org...

I'd like to think that the STEREO-B. observations will put an end to some of the doom and gloom. But I doubt it seriously.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join