It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anon behind psn attack??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This was realeased on playstation blog today. It talks about what they shared in the us consumer meeting today.
We also informed the subcommittee of the following:

Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”
By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.
As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.
Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.
We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.

What does everyone make of this?
edit on 4-5-2011 by drfresh because: Read the 2nd line in the Sony quote.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yeah there was another attack on PSN just the other day where another 26 million accounts where stolen. Thanks Sony for turning me into a Microsoft fan for life! Anyways, don't know if this was ANON or not but it doesn't sound like their type of thing. They more like to go after security firms linked with govs and the like. But I don't know.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Anon have already denied any part of it(as a group)but if it was them then it must of been individual members working outside of the pack

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Anon have already denied any part of it(as a group)but if it was them then it must of been individual members working outside of the pack

Or someone determined to attack anonymous by discrediting them.

For some reason, I don't think has anything to do with anon. It doesn't suit their motives, nor is it a valid target.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

Did Anon not say it was not them that took the credit card details? I Think its very suspecious that during the last raids by them, they never once took personal details of 'civilians'. If it was my honest opinion i would say it was;

1#Just a regular hacker looking to make money, not Anon
2#Anon being set up for more internet police 'False Flag'

Again if Anon needs the money for operations all they have to do is open up a donation widget on its site and millions would pour in.

Something doesent add up.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Or it could be BS to put Anon into a bad light.

Take a step back and think to yourself... Would Anon waste their time on this?

Considering they targeted VISA, PAYPAL and numerous other financial websites were they could have obtained personal data.

If I was a member of Anon I'd be looking over my shoulder right now. After all isn't what they are doing an act of terrorism?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Going to agree with you mr-lizard................Not what their agenda is all about

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

That's what I said I doubt it was ANON at all, it isn't a relevant target for them. Further more I was more ranting at Sony then them so I understand the confusion.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I am sorry, but anon could give a rats ass about the PSN network. This is a total ploy, and I am sure will be a reason why we ALL will need our Internet ID's in the near future. Not to mention, even if it was a Anon it was probably some lone gunner who wanted to show his big balls.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Bonified Ween because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Of course it was anonymous.. anonymous consists of everyone, there isn't a command structure in "Anon", they are just everyone.. there are places where like minded people gather to communicate and they take the banner of anonymous which is an idea more than an organization.. that is what makes it such a powerful thing, and something that can never be stopped.

Someone will come up with an idea and people will gravitate to it and take on the idea and run with it.. it's a headless "group" ..

That is why I love it when anonymous gets blamed for something like that because it's meaningless.. there's a lot of "lulz" to be had when people refer to them as some kind of organized group as if they are the internet al qaeda.. do people really not understand the whole anonymous thing?

There's no membership, there's no mailing list, there's no president, secret handshake or anything.. just some places where anyone can join in a chat, talk about things, spawn ideas and run with causes ... usually aligned to good, though this PSN thing seems to go against what you usually find people doing under that banner I admit.
edit on 4-5-2011 by miniatus because: Just expanding a bit

new topics

top topics

join