It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Calendar May Be Off by 50 Years or More

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
An astronomy professor in Minneapolis has recently stated that the Mayan calendar may be 50 to 100 years off the mark. He further states that Planets are not aligning as suggested by previous translations. Another local professor disagrees and says that the calendar is amazingly accurate.

This is quite an announcement considering all of the recent events.

Source:
Latino News

Thoughts?

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You mean his calculations are off by 50 years - The Mayans - the most accurate calender in History to the second is wrong and he is right. Yeah!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Prepare yourself for many negative comments. Some people on this site are addicted to bad news and earth-shattering prophecies. They don't like you to mess with their fantasies.

2012 isn't far away so we'll know soon enough.
edit on 5/3/2011 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Isn't this a little early to be explaining away why 2012 didn't happen ??? lol

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thank you all for taking the time to comment. I am not trying to sway the discussion either way unlike MSM, I like to discuss material objectively. I am not supporting or denying the professor's claim, only relaying the information from another source.

However; since he is a professor in Astronomy, I thought his assertions might be worth an objective viewpoint. I am not a professor of Astronomy. Having said that, if I tried to encourage the scope of thinking that this calendar may not be correct, it would be fairly easy to discredit me and or my opinion based on the fact I would be only guessing. Further, it does not state if he can in fact interpret cuneiform texts or any other ancient records or that his basis for this claim was strictly limited to what he observed in regards to planets and stars.

It will be interesting to see what if anything develops.

Thanks again.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeil1

But but but....

The Mayan end of the world in 2012 is real!

I saw it on Youtube!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Of course the date isn't accurate. Many sources have it off by a few hours to a few good years. 12/26/12 is just convenient.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
The Mayan calendar is a circle...I really don't think it matters...not like we use it anyways.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I hate articles like this....

They propose that something is wrong...but give no data as to how they arrive at this.

The stars aren't lining up just right? Well, what is it that is off?
How did they come to that conclusion?
What makes them think 50?
What makes them think 100?
What dates do they think line do line up?

Too many unanswered questions. It's like throwing out - "your wrong the world is flat", but not stating how you arrive at this conclusion.

aghh....

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Lol, nice one Slayer. It is true that YouTube is a great source of entertainment for a variety of subject matter.

While I was continuing the search for the original topic, I located another source with a similar contradiction as to the Mayans prediction; although it is dated October 18, 2010 (and earlier in 2010). The main sources the pages references are from UC Santa Barbara and Archaeological Haecceities (Johan Normark's blog), both of which are included below. The original links are at the bottom of the page at Discovery News.

Credits:
Gerardo Aldana
Johan Normark
Carl de Borhegyi
Edwin Barnhart
Ann Martin
Maya Exploration Center

Source:
Mayan Doomsday Disputed
UC Santa Barbara
Archaeological Haecceities (Johan Normark's blog),
About Johan Normark
Haecceity Definition
GMT Constant May Be Off
GMT Definition
Carl de Borhegyi
Ann Martin - Doctoral Student in Astronomy 2009
Cornell University
Misunderstanding the Mayan Calendar

Other Resources:
Maya Exploration Center
Mayan Calendar Research
Maya Calendar Systems
Mayan Longcount

Excerpt from Mayan Longcount:

These dates are given as full long counts, not abbreviated within distance numbers or implied by calendar rounds. While the evidence is compelling, these few texts from Palenque are almost single handedly responsible for convincing western scholars that the long count will once again reset in 2012 AD.

In point of fact, though we have many instances of the Maya recording 13.0.0.0.0 for August 11, 3114 BC, there is only one text known to record the 13.0.0.0.0 date for December 21, 2012 AD. It was found on Monument 6 from Tortuguero and the text is broken right after the date is mentioned, occulting the event that was to have been referenced.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Zeil1 because: add credit

edit on 3-5-2011 by Zeil1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

edit on 4-5-2011 by Mercurio because: double post

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
So suddenly some professor of astronomy comes out and says the Mayan calendar is "50 years off". Looks like someone just has an axe to grind against the 2012 theories. If this were really true we would have heard about it long ago from the people who have studied the Mayan calendar and astronomy.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Mercurio because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
lol, if anyones calendar is off it is most definitely ours. The Maya existed to keep time, they were obsessed with it, consumed to a level your average person could not conceive. They lived and died by the stars and if there is a mistake along the way I can assure you that it is ours and not theres.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I won't say the man is wrong. Since I haven't read his work, and looked at his reasoning yet. But from what I've read about the Mayans, I find it unlikely they were off by such a wide margin.

I just want to know if I get to see quetzlcoatl for myself when he returns? Or do I have to settle for pics? Because that would suck.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Yet, another local professor says the Mayan calendar was amazingly accurate. “They could’ve told you what day Easter fell on 25 million years ago,” said Hamline anthropology professor Skip Messenger.

From the OP's article? Obviously there in no consensus.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeil1

50 more years, yay, my youngest son will be 60 by then, I can live with that, thanks for the good news!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Zeil1

But but but....

The Mayan end of the world in 2012 is real!

I saw it on Youtube!

We must have seen the same vid!! as I once saw a youtube documentary about this topic and I doubt there is more than one, have you seen the one about a UFO?

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zeil1
Lol, nice one Slayer. It is true that YouTube is a great source of entertainment for a variety of subject matter.

While I was continuing the search for the original topic, I located another source with a similar contradiction as to the Mayans prediction; although it is dated October 18, 2010 (and earlier in 2010). The main sources the pages references are from UC Santa Barbara and Archaeological Haecceities (Johan Normark's blog), both of which are included below. The original links are at the bottom of the page at Discovery News.

Credits:
Gerardo Aldana
Johan Normark
Carl de Borhegyi
Edwin Barnhart
Ann Martin
Maya Exploration Center

Source:
Mayan Doomsday Disputed
UC Santa Barbara
Archaeological Haecceities (Johan Normark's blog),
About Johan Normark
Haecceity Definition
GMT Constant May Be Off
GMT Definition
Carl de Borhegyi
Ann Martin - Doctoral Student in Astronomy 2009
Cornell University
Misunderstanding the Mayan Calendar

Other Resources:
Maya Exploration Center
Mayan Calendar Research
Maya Calendar Systems
Mayan Longcount

Excerpt from Mayan Longcount:

These dates are given as full long counts, not abbreviated within distance numbers or implied by calendar rounds. While the evidence is compelling, these few texts from Palenque are almost single handedly responsible for convincing western scholars that the long count will once again reset in 2012 AD.

In point of fact, though we have many instances of the Maya recording 13.0.0.0.0 for August 11, 3114 BC, there is only one text known to record the 13.0.0.0.0 date for December 21, 2012 AD. It was found on Monument 6 from Tortuguero and the text is broken right after the date is mentioned, occulting the event that was to have been referenced.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

edit on 3-5-2011 by Zeil1 because: add credit

edit on 3-5-2011 by Zeil1 because: (no reason given)

Okay, now that's more like it!

Great links! The Discovery article is very good and detailed.

Off to read the rest.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Great, anohter 50 or 100 years of 2012 books.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone. After conducting further research, it would seem that the Astronomy professor drew his conclusions based on previous research by scholars (as well as his own activity of astronomy research), one of which was writing a book concerning the mayan calendar and it's content. A similar proposal by other scholars made known that the text after the date on the tablet was "broken off' so western societies took the date only and ran with it.

Thank again.

edit on 4-5-2011 by Zeil1 because: add info

top topics

<<   2 >>

join