It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima - The US populance has moved on/doesn't care

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I follow the monster thread every day and it is clearly documented in that thread that there is a conspiracy going on with what's happening at Fukushima. It is also clearly documented that the situation going on is much worse that we are being told.

Also, there are reports of plutonium being found on the West Coast via a "hidden" SQL statement on the EPA website, Iodine at 2000%+ of EPA guidelines in California Milk, EPA Radnet "conveniently" being down, Canada moving their radiation monitoring station further inland (can't find link, saw it on monster thread)... it begins to paint a "concerning" picture.

I have children, and, as a father, am understandably concerned about Fukushima as it might have long-lasting effects on THEIR future. As such, I try and take salient facts from the monster thread, research them more and make people aware.

This is where the problem occurs. Everyone that I try and make aware is switching off. I'm not fear-mongering when I speak to them, I'm not sensationalizing when I speak to them.... all I'm doing is relaying cold, hard facts (as much as we have)...

Within the last 2 days, I've been called a "Debbie Downer", been told that I'm misinformed as surely we would have heard about it on the news, called paranoid or just out-right ignored. I've been in contact with my local water company and received "nothing to see here, move on" response. I've contacted my state senator (who normally is VERY responsive to me, I know him personally) about starting some sort of monitoring, at the least, on our milk being sold in stores... NO RESPONSE.

Everyone is sticking their heads in the sand or just don't care. They've moved on to the birth certificate issue, the royal wedding event, the Libyan war or whatever comes next that the MSM decides to entertain us with. Even this forum is slowing down, the updates are quite as close together as they have been... are people HERE starting to have Fukushima Fatigue?

What has been everyone else's experience when talking about this with other non-ATS people? Is there anything we can do to make people aware, or should I just stop caring as well and go watch American Idol?
edit on 4/30/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
yes...but never touch their playstations.....or iphones...they will hunt you down and make cry videos on youtube if you do...

*sarcasm off*

its the same everywhere..people dont care anymore...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That's what the US population does to all disasters,even domestic ones. For example - oil is still in the marshes and beaches and the consequences are still being felt, but Obama & the press pretended it's all fixed so everybody just accepts & moves on to the next Charlie Sheen story or worries about Obama's birth certificate. I think Japan, & indirectly the rest of the world, will be forever changed from this ongoing tragedy.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrydogts the same everywhere..people dont care anymore...

agreed on this one man. techno zombies 100%

i have a friend/aquentance in japan that has been updating me and others that he knows from america(he is in a band DMBQ check them out) he is a first hand source and though he dosnt give as girm news as some of the fear mongers here. he dose admit that its not going well with the contaiment process. ill try to find his e-mails as he was posting them on a local music forum to keep frineds updated on the situation. im pretty shure im gonna find out eventually that i lost some friends from japan that i made from being in a punk band. played with pleanty of great talented people from japan. keep in mind when i post his e-mails...
THIS IS A FIRST HAND ACCOUNT FROM A PERSON FROM JAPAN

please keep disrespfull comments to your self

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

Honestly, I hate to admit this, but unless people start dying in California, where I am, I am stretched to the limit on daily worries. I did initially take the Fukushima very serious, and I know it is and will be for a very long time, but it's not being reported on the news at all, so it has fallen off my radar. Not proud of this, and your concerns are real and no one should be calling you any names, it's just that life is getting in the way of the truly needed concern.

I hope you continue with your search for answers and keep up posted.
I appreciate it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Yep, that's what happens with our MSM, it has happened with every major disaster really, after they plugged up the oil rig it was "Oh, poof, the oil's gone we can move on now" and now with Fukushima they tell you things are on the right track and you can go back to sleep. They don't dwell on it because things like this make people think.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
One other comment that I've received that really irks me is "you read too much"... seriously? That comment could be a thread of its own and the underlying ramification of that type of thinking is just too d*mn scary.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

Who cares about Fukushima?? My credit card ## got stolen from the PSN and WILL GOT MARRIED!!!

*sarcasm tag*

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I was waiting for a thread like this to pop-up. I've done all the research I need to do. It's now a waiting game for me. Either they manage to get it under control, or things will get a lot worse. I try not to make people freak out by talking about it constantly. Because if I'm making it out to look really bad (which it very well could be), but they manage to get it under control, I'm going to look like the paranoid guy always crying wolf. I personally don't like how this has been playing out, but I also think you are over reacting by worrying about the water supply and things like that this early in the game. The real threat is a full on melt down of cores and/or fuel pools simultaneously in multiple reactors. If they can manage to get it under control fairly soon, the amount of radiation released wont be too bad. It will diverge and become highly diluted for the most part, by the time it reaches other countries. I feel for Japan though, they will be feeling the effects one way or another for a fair while.

edit on 30-4-2011 by CanYouHandleTheTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's the same everywhere. For the first week, every tv station was constantly reporting about it, after that it slowed down. No nobody cares anymore, as if everything is alright.
But that happens with every catastrophe. First it's big news, then nobody cares.

Overall, the disaster in japan showed the very worst in humans. From all the "revenge for pearl harbour" comments to "omg what will happen to mangas" or "are all the japanese video games still come out on their release dates" to the constant lies from the japanese government about it and "no we don't care about it anymroe". It's really sad

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Until people go bald or their skin melts, they aren't going to care. I look for news almost daily, and I see more mention of this at ATS than anywhere else. Glad you guys keep poking around for the few bits of news that do happen!

ETA: everything you've linked, and every story I can find, are all by ONE GUY. And I can't figure out his sources. He isn't giving a good explanation for the EPA "hiding information". This is sounding a lot like the Forbes blog where the guy misrepresented all the EPA info. Looking further...
edit on 30-4-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CanYouHandleTheTruth

I'm not talking about the water supply to friends, that is an inquiry I made on my own. I have mentioned the milk supply contamination in California to people, the response was basically "Ho-hum".

I should also mention that I'm not talking about it constantly (expect with my dad, he's concerned too), everyone of these responses come from people that I HAVEN'T brought it up to before. I didn't want to come across as that paranoid crying wolf, I've really only started talking to people about it in the last week.

My parents went to visit family in another state last week. I asked my dad if Japan or Fukushima came up in conversation during a visit that lasted a week. It wasn't even discussed.
edit on 4/30/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I appreciate your concern, as I have kids of my own. The real problem is that there are such mixed messages out there (EPA, Caldicott, Kaku, etc) that I think most people don't really know what to believe - I know I don't. The difference in messages (eg between the EPA and Helen Caldicott) is so extreme that you know one of them couldn't possibly be telling the truth, and both could very well be biased. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. I just did a quick Google and came across this good, unbiased assessment of the situation, not that it really clears things up any...

www.baycitizen.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm like you guys,the people I know just don't really care.
But I'm still trying to spread the word to people who do care,and eventually
maybe people will wake up to it.
One method is on facebook with a group called Glowing Conversations.

www.facebook.com...

You would be amazed at how many of the Japanese really don't know whats going on.
And I have been post this site everywhere I can of live geiger readings and tweets from Japan.

japan.failedrobot.com...

I try to pass on info gathered from ATS as this is the most up to date info.

The more the word gets around,the more people we can help to understand.

Some additional info,like geiger readings here in the US,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-4-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic
I appreciate your concern, as I have kids of my own. The real problem is that there are such mixed messages out there (EPA, Caldicott, Kaku, etc) that I think most people don't really know what to believe - I know I don't. The difference in messages (eg between the EPA and Helen Caldicott) is so extreme that you know one of them couldn't possibly be telling the truth, and both could very well be biased. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of those two extremes. I just did a quick Google and came across this good, unbiased assessment of the situation, not that it really clears things up any...

www.baycitizen.org...

I would say that it isn't that "most people don't really know what to believe", I truly think it is "most people don't really care". Even if you were to sit down and explain to them what radiation does to a body and then point out all the different elevated levels in the EPAs own data, the response would be the same. Even if they did show a modicum of interest, they wouldn't pass the information on to other people or inquire further.

Here is something that has the potential to cause long lasting harm, and there is no outrage for the lack of information. What happened to the survival instinct?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was reading another thread about Egyptian archaeology and to paraphrase one poster whose name I didn't catch "It's hard to remember everything when you are inundated with information".

This is something which could be worked into a conspiracy theory itself if given enough of my time. Of course I'm sure it already has been. Besides that if someone at work was preaching to me about how bad the situation was I would probably switch off too. Even though I've been following the situation closely on my own. I'm not saying you are doing this OP. Though from what you said it sorta comes off like that. Many people use topics like this to give themselves a sense of superiority.

"What? You don't want to hear anything but small talk on a 12 hour day? pfft sheeple"
There are people in this world with which I will talk about all sorts of crazy stuff and then there are people who I'd rather just stick to the weather with. Point being maybe they just don't want to talk with *you* about it.

If you want people to listen to you why shouldn't they just listen to the government of japan? Unless you tote around a binder full of evidence you're just about as verifiable as they are. Ultimately It's something happening far away about which very few people have knowledge about. I don't blame people for not taking the word of every Joe Sixpack that wants to wax on about it. They might as well believe everything they hear.
edit on 30-4-2011 by FEDec because: missing period

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
its the same everywhere..people dont care anymore...

well I would have to slightly disagree
with that statement.

Yes I care but have realized there is nothing
I can do about it unless I just move completely
underground and live in a bunker for the next
3,000 yrs or so.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I'm beginning to believe that when people realise that there is nothing they can do, they cease worrying about it and focus on things in their lives that they can do something about.
I think that is the case with Fukushima.
Knowing all of the details of what is going on isn't going to change the fact that you or me can do absolutely squat to change anything.
I'm not saying I agree with this, which is why I'm here at ATS. I do want to know what is going on even though, as an individual, I know I can't do anything about it.

edit on 30-4-2011 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finalized
I would say that it isn't that "most people don't really know what to believe", I truly think it is "most people don't really care". Even if you were to sit down and explain to them what radiation does to a body and then point out all the different elevated levels in the EPAs own data, the response would be the same. Even if they did show a modicum of interest, they wouldn't pass the information on to other people or inquire further.

Here is something that has the potential to cause long lasting harm, and there is no outrage for the lack of information. What happened to the survival instinct?

Fair enough - the sheeple don't hear it from the MSM, so it's not a concern. But for those who are actually searching for truth, it's really hard to find any.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Usually the US media hypes every story in the name of sensationalism. What scares me about the ongoing crisis in Japan is there is little media coverage, especially now. Even when it was covered and Japan's earthquake/tsunami was hot news it seemed to me that the danger of the nuclear plants was downplayed.

I believe that the media has been given orders to not sound the alarm over this in hopes of preventing widespread panic over radiation fears in the US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join