It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima - The US populance has moved on/doesn't care

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I feel like I'm surrounded in a sea of mindless robots and I can picture myself standing outside in the middle of my street screaming at the top of my lungs in frustration at this point.

Would they be any less robotic if they accepted every word you said without question?

Like I said in an earlier post I've followed the Fukushima disaster from the beginning. In fact it was one of reasons I joined ATS after lurking off and on for years. However if you tried to talk to me about it on the street or anywhere where it wasn't already in discussion I would cut you off too. I have people and sources I trust to talk about things like this with and if you aren't one of them well TS.

Too many here seem to be preaching, failing to get through and then calling those that don't listen sheep or the like. It's not your goodwill towards mankind which drives these sermons but your own inferiority complexes. I don't blame people for not listening.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Most people I know are too busy trying to make ends meet, to have time for worrying about japan. And what is the use anyways? There is not a damn thing any of us little people can do about it is there?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Japan has demanded worldwide censorship and foreign reporters are not being allowed information unless they tow the party line. This was reported last week.

The Head Nuclear Scientist to the Japanese Government has resigned because of cover ups. Reported on MSM.

Thanks for this thread mate - I too have been trying to get the word out and there's lot's of information (recent) on my thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Huge fall out is going on across the Northern Hemisphere and the Governments of the world are more than happy to go along with the censorship because a) There isn't a damn thing they can do now. b) Who is going to come on TV and tell the people of the world that it's out of control and the impact it is going to have.

Texas is in BIG trouble and the fires are being fuelled by radioactive fallout - for those who saw the twister with the tunnel of flame going up the centre. Already spreading into neighbouring states.

Don't sit back and find out later folks that - there was something you could have done - no matter how small - to keep your family safe as long as possible. Please don't think that this is far away - It Is Not!

Call it fear mongering - call it propaganda - call it what you like - IT'S HAPPENING!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

I feel like I'm surrounded in a sea of mindless robots and I can picture myself standing outside in the middle of my street screaming at the top of my lungs in frustration at this point.

Would they be any less robotic if they accepted every word you said without question?

Like I said in an earlier post I've followed the Fukushima disaster from the beginning. In fact it was one of reasons I joined ATS after lurking off and on for years. However if you tried to talk to me about it on the street or anywhere where it wasn't already in discussion I would cut you off too. I have people and sources I trust to talk about things like this with and if you aren't one of them well TS.

Too many here seem to be preaching, failing to get through and then calling those that don't listen sheep or the like. It's not your goodwill towards mankind which drives these sermons but your own inferiority complexes. I don't blame people for not listening.

You're so wrong, I don't even know where to begin...

I'm talking about people I've known all my life - friends, family, neighbours - people I talk to every day, people I sit around with shooting the breeze over a cold beer and mowing each other's lawns.

You're assumption of "strangers on the street" is way off base.

Irrelevant, but I'm going to mention it anyway: I live in a small town with a population of 1200... we don't have "strangers" here.

The fact of the matter is since they don't read it in the newspaper or see it on tv anymore, it's not something that piques their interest now... The hockey playoffs are more important.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I heard last week that there had been a major clamp down on Fukushima information by the Japanese government (and I assume the corporations involved, and the nuclear industry in general). Sorry, I don't remember where I heard this, can't find it again, and can't verify its veracity. It's certainly not hard to believe, though, especially since useful information has been such a dribble from the very beginning that even industry experts like Arnie Gundersen have to guess at the details, based on fleeting images.

I have become especially aware of this stuff because my dad worked at the Savannah River Site in the 50's when I was very young. At the age of thirteen I came down with bleeding bowels and ended up having my colon removed, the very day it ruptured. Having always wondered what that was all about, a couple years ago I found records of the Aiken, SC, area where we lived within 10-20 miles of the project, which is part of the production chain for weapons grade nuclear materials, and soon to be a weapons grade-to-MOX (nuclear plant fuel) conversion facility(!) The last year we were there, they showed a MAJOR release of all kinds of radio isotopes, right around 10 years before I had my brush with death. I will never be able to verify a causal relationship, but there are other things that have happened to family members and myself that would seem to add credence to the connection. Researcher Leuren Moret's talk (linked from another recent thread) certainly hits home for me.

So today I'm busy building my second Geiger counter. This one will be able to detect Alpha, Beta and Gamma. About the only place I could find what I wanted with good availability (not to mention a reasonable price) was at the Electronics Goldmine in kit form. That's fine with me as I love construction projects and am customizing the device with an embedded microcontroller and other niceties. I might even make some custom units for friends that have made requests - might even consider low volume production if local interest keeps building. No matter what is happening right now, if this release continues for another 9 months or more, as they are saying, the isotopes will be building up in the soil and food chain, and I want some measure of info about my immediate environment. I know a Geiger counter does not tell the entire story, but it will tell me more than I expect from any agencies.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Videot because: Wording correction

edit on 30-4-2011 by Videot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
A few days ago I saw "Breaking News" in red one website and on TV news sites... What was the big event? NFL draft picks......... People should check their priorities.
edit on 30-4-2011 by jaydeePNW because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Honestly people don't really have an excuse.

It doesn't matter if the MSM fails to report. They already reported the keyword here "meltdown". Then all over the internet and wikipedia you can find lists of the materials used and quantities stored in the facilities with tons of information.

You can go find out more information on nuclear science theory etc.

Essentially in a 95% blackout situation, you can speculate at least 75% of the remaining missing pieces with decent accuracy if you have the capability to read and think for yourself. Imagine things and question your own thoughts. Find out the history and then try to apply it to the present day situations.

This all boils down to in my opinion, two options.

#1) There is as much fuel material stored at Fukushima I as is claimed in the sources (over 1000 tons).
This means the whole world is going to suffer for decades.

#2) There is a conspiracy afoot to throw us all off course(?) and the actual amount of fuel at Fukushima I was 1/10th the amount claimed by sources. EG: The conspiracy theory floating around that most of the fuel rods were removed prior to the "created quake". This means we are not in that big of trouble from Fukushima, but that we are in reality we are being lied to consistently by the MSM.

Either way in reality we are pretty screwed.
Revolting or whatever won't solve it, it will only make the problems worse.
Sigh....

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

Myself, I was beginning to think that people were either too afraid to consciously acknowledge the truly life-changing facts about this, the worst nuclear catastrophe in the history of mankind, or they were so reliant on mainstream media that they were just dangerously gulliable and misinformed, therefore understandably, would refuse to listen to anyone not in any kind of uniform, or otherwise not presenting an appearance of authority/we-know-best, for them to follow (for as any psychologist can attest to, people are collectively sheep(le) and respond all too easily to any semblence of leadership or authority, be it a white coat or the information source(s) they have always known and relied on to tell them "what to do!?").

But then!

Today, in the UK, I managed to make it to a healthfood shop and whilst buying some Kelp(iodine supplement - this should be on everyone's ** shopping list for the indefinite future!) I asked how the sales of it were going.

Suprisingly, she said they were through the roof!

I asked if she (the manager) knew much about Fukushima and she admitted to me that yes, she was aware that it was really, really bad.
Enquiring further as to whether she'd been getting her information from mainstream sources, she gave me a serious look and told me no, she's been forced to resort to alternative news sources and knowledgeable associates for her facts and we both agreed that this further fact was also a terrible situation, namely that the mainstream media are not disclosing the true dangers and full consequences of this disaster.

One small but greatly appreciated plus was that they were specifically selling Kelp tablets at half price, due to these current events. One in the eye for capitalism!

So, in my town at least, some still are savvy enough to take their safety and that of their loved ones into their own hands (as it should be!) and not following the BS that "everything's ok" from a government that genuinely cares little for us "useless eaters".
It's so far from "ok" that it's scary. Real scary.

Now, I'm really not one to get scared at anything, you'll have to trust me on that, but I am genuinely scared for our [childrens] future directly due to this nuclear disaster and, If I'm scared, then that means many, many more will be too who may well be far less able to overcome their fears.
That, to me explains why so few, everywhere I hear about, are actively taking steps to prevent any very real and very serious health risks resulting from this ongoing nuclear disaster - like you said - they are sticking their heads in the sand because, to fully acknowledge such a sobering reality would mean any pretence of comfort their lives might have given them, will be essentially gone for the rest of it, were they to consciously accept what's happening.
It's the same as when you try to tell a petulant child something they really don't want to hear - they close their eyes, cover their ears and start proclaiming loudly: "La-la laa! La-la laa! can't hear you, can't hear you!"

I lived through Chernobyl. I remember the big fuss the media made of that, at the time.

I even recall that the media was one of the first to give out warnings to the public about the dangers and information about what we could all do to potentially protect ourselves and minimise the subsequent dangers to our health. We were told to keep out of the acid rain.
And yet, nobody ran in fear or rioted in the streets. Civilisation didn't break down through any ensuing panic. if anything, people continued like they had before...radiation's invisible, so for many it was a case of: "out of sight, out of mind", I suppose.

Now, we have multiple nuclear meltdowns, each one potentially four times the scale of Chernobyl, with yet more potential meltdowns of other reactors on the way and...nothing? NOTHING!!!???

Something really doesn't smell right there...and it ain't the radioactive fish.

Lastly, a word of advice for all, especially as the months go by with no reductions in the amount of deadly radiation spewing forth from Fukushima:

KEEP OUT OF THE RAIN, or at the very least, keep it off your children's skin!!!

** Do not take any iodine supplements if you are on thyroid medication!! Seek professional, medical advice first.

edit on 30-4-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2011 by OptimisticPessimist because: clarification

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

You seem to be under the assumption that I'm breaking into the middle of sports discussions to start "preaching" about Fukushima or tackling complete strangers in the street and hysterically telling them about dangers of radiation in the food chain, I'm NOT!

Believe or not I know about the ebb and flow of conversation and when it is appropriate to bring up such topics. Furthermore, it isn't some inferiority complex, but a concern to let people I know and love know about a very real danger in our midst. People I personally know are switched off.
edit on 4/30/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Lets say the were switched on so to speak... Then what? It is like running around with your head cut off like a chicken. The only thing we CAN do is worry about it. What is the good in that? I know where you are coming from though, I am more concerned that most people don't give a crap about things they CAN change. Stuff like the nuclear meltdown, there is nothing we can do but pull our hair out and lose sleep. Sometimes I wish I could turn my switch back off.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Not just the US but the world moves on despite any radioactive clouds reported. Prior to our current information age you would get the news of a disaster on the other side of the world days or weeks later by radio or newspaper. Message received, you/I/we would go back about our business, the business of getting through life for one more day as there was not much of consequence that you could have done regarding the disaster on the other side of the world.

Things have changed. Now you can get a feed off of someone's iPhone at the site of the disaster in near real time. What has not changed is that despite that radioactive cloud there is not much of consequence that you could have done regarding the disaster on the other side of the world.

What is criminal in a situation such as this is that there are entities like GE that could have taken adequate precautions and updated these installations as time passed. Are tsunamis common in Japan? Let's just say they are not historically uncommon. Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko have offered their condolences to the people of Japan. Lovely. What they have not offered is access to their substantial wealth, taken from their countrymen and stolen from other Asian nations prior to WWII. There's no need to beat up everyone here. People are the same the world over. It's not that people don't care, it's that it is beyond their power to do anything of consequence. In most cases.

You quizzed your family about the Fukushima disaster. Did you quiz them on New Orleans, Chile, Ground Zero, Gulf Oil Spill or Tuscaloosa? People are overwhelmed by these disasters. It's laudable that you are concerned, helping out where you can and taking the precautions you decide are necessary to protect your family. Continue to lead by example and not from on the soapbox. The soapbox is reserved for emperors and spokespersons for multi-billion dollar conglomerates such as GE.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Lets say the were switched on so to speak... Then what? It is like running around with your head cut off like a chicken. The only thing we CAN do is worry about it. What is the good in that? I know where you are coming from though, I am more concerned that most people don't give a crap about things they CAN change. Stuff like the nuclear meltdown, there is nothing we can do but pull our hair out and lose sleep. Sometimes I wish I could turn my switch back off.

You're completely wrong. You can help stop more nuclear plants from being built. You can make sure existing nuclear plants can withstand 9.5 magnitude earthquakes, and 100 foot tsunamis. The companies that build the plants don't mind lowering safety standards if it saves them a couple million bucks. To the corparations a million dollars is worth more than a million lives. Nuclear disasters will keep happening unless we actually do something to stop them, not wait for them to happen.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I don't think its that people don't care. I think its more that people are trying to keep the truth out of their reality. People, when faced with anything that might negatively affect their life or their view on the world will switch on some serious denial when faced with the fact that things aren't as they thought they were, when in fact they're much much worse.
I have a friend who gets very angry at me everytime I throw some "info" his way. Many people can't handle that kind of truth, and so they choose to ignore it as if it somehow makes it like it didn't happen. I can't relate to that kind of deliberate blindness, but there are many who do. They've heard enough about radioactive spills, tornados, and wild fires. If they can go a week without hearing about it, then maybe it never occurred.

Of course they'll be buried under debris, cooked, or glowing in a few weeks, but if they don't know it, they don't care.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It's worrying how easily distracted people are. It's distressingly similar to how society is described in George Orwell's 1984. Newspeak everywhere, everyone just accepting whatever version of 'history' is popular today. Madness.

I've spent some time working in Paris recently, and one thing I was heartened to hear was the serious discussion people made at coffee breaks around this and other world events. It seems people take these things more seriously in France.

One guy even had his own Geiger counter - so he could track background radiation levels, just in case it started rising at some point. Paranoid? Maybe. But at least he's considering the possibility.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Oh yeah, that I totally agree with. To my dismay, I moved away from indian point in NY, to canada, come to find out, there is a nuclear plant being built here too. WTF, I just can't win.... It was already well underway being built when I got here, in maritime area canada. Not much that can be done about it now I don't think. I do agree that spreading awareness about the so-called "clean" nuclear energy, and rallying against more being built is a good thing. But I mean worrying about ones that have already crashed like fukishima and chernoble is too little too late.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

I did and do follow those other disasters. I have family in northern Alabama and near Ringgold, GA. One of my good friends has family in Louisiana and I try and let him know that the BP problem hasn't really gone away, it's just out of sight.

Your right though, I'm missing one piece in my discussions, and that is what can they do to protect their loved ones. Perhaps we can crowd source this here at ATS and get information compiled in an easy to understand format that can be disseminated to people.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You're so wrong, I don't even know where to begin...

I'm talking about people I've known all my life - friends, family, neighbours - people I talk to every day, people I sit around with shooting the breeze over a cold beer and mowing each other's lawns.

You're assumption of "strangers on the street" is way off base.

Irrelevant, but I'm going to mention it anyway: I live in a small town with a population of 1200... we don't have "strangers" here.

The fact of the matter is since they don't read it in the newspaper or see it on tv anymore, it's not something that piques their interest now... The hockey playoffs are more important.

I don't know why you quoted me saying "strangers on the street" because I didn't say stranger or strangers. Whether it was a stranger or a life long friend or my mum if you started preaching on about anything I would shut you down.

The issue here is not that people aren't looking at what is going on but that people aren't taking your word for it. You call these people robots for not listening to you in an effort to feel superior. Your efforts in the first place are a self centered venture.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Its worse than exoected or nyone could imagine. This just shows how the media can change the ideas, actions, and ways of life of an entire country. Sensorship is beginning and Japan and the world economy may be falling.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You seem to be under the assumption that I'm breaking into the middle of sports discussions to start "preaching" about Fukushima or tackling complete strangers in the street and hysterically telling them about dangers of radiation in the food chain, I'm NOT!

Believe or not I know about the ebb and flow of conversation and when it is appropriate to bring up such topics. Furthermore, it isn't some inferiority complex, but a concern to let people I know and love know about a very real danger in our midst. People I personally know are switched off.
edit on 4/30/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

You aren't doing it out of concern though and that last line proves it. You're doing it for the "told ya so" factor you're doing it so you can label everyone around you as "switched off" or sheeple or what have you. You're doing this to feel intelligent.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's not that we don't care, it's just another thing we can blame our leaders about it.
It's lesser then Chernobyl and we all survived that one...
I do twitch now and then, but life goes on...

It sucks, damn it really does...what can we do other then talk about it.
I haven't seen anything in the past 2 weeks proving yes or no, but I still think haarp is behind this and it's to hurt they're economy and spread fear. It's all part of the plan, that will fail, and another part of the crimes they will try to plead for.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join