It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornadoes in America -Lives Lost - Simple invention Could stop them - Spread the Word.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress

Originally posted by Dashdragon
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

The main difference here is that the theory would be about a fairly massive object (comparably) blasting through the air at supersonic speeds in direct opposition to the path of the tornado. The physical shockwave from when an object passes the supersonic threshold is extremely noticable beyond the acoustic sonic boom.

Lightning rapidly heats the air in its immediate vicinity to about 20,000 °C (36,000 °F) — about three times the temperature of the surface of the Sun. The sudden heating effect and the expansion of heated air gives rise to a supersonic shock wave in the surrounding clear air. It is this shock wave, once it decays to an acoustic wave, that is heard as thunder.[17]

Other than the flash of light, the thunder is usually all we really get from Lightning's supersonic movement. On top of that, the lightning is a lot more brief.

Of course I'm not saying that the theory regarding a supersonic jet would work...like those that haven't tested it, I would like more proof.

So the only source you have is the article itself? Lighning where I am at is VERY potent and the sonic clap can last up to 15 seconds. FYI thunder is the by product of lighning, both of which displace space and energy as if a new object was added to the equation.

Actually that was from the wiki about lightning but I do understand what you're saying.

Another point is whether or not the proponents of this theory are talking about the sonic boom itself, or the airplane travelling supersonic for a period of time. This would be the big difference between lightning and the plane in that the plane is continually travelling at supersonic speed and a lightning bolt only lasts for a second at a time.

If it's just the sonic boom that is supposed to work on this and not an extended supersonic wake...then the other questions would be how many 'booms' does it take, and then obviously why this would work when lightning doesn't. The way I had read it, it sounded more like the they were referring to the supersonic wake, rather than just the sonic boom itself which results from the initial passing of the sound barrier.

I'm by no means an expert, but it seems like it could be interesting at least.

Regarding the length of lifespan...they should be able to judge which ones will last for long periods of time and reserve reaction to only those of that nature when they form. I agree that it becomes highly impractical to try and use it for -all- since oftentimes you will have a tornado that forms...touches down...and then vanishes seconds or even just minutes later...sometimes they even reappear further down.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by redmage

Also you don't have to use planes you can use acoustic horns powered by concert amplifiers which generate sonic booms to disrupt tornadoes near towns mounted on trailers.

sonic booms can be generated acoustically by firing projectiles supersonically.

e.g a bullet. e.g a air aerosol explosion in the tornado from shell fired from a tank.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beckybecky

Huh? What are you talking about acoustic horns creating sonic booms?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Sonic boom will disrupt the delicate conditions of the tornado formation.just like a candle can be put by a sound.

you seen that experiment in first grade science.ooops dirty word science.

giant blunder bus guns the size of trailer trucks could generate a power audio pulse to destroy tornadoes just like a gun.just like a candle can be put by a sound.

it is astonishing that a Abrams tanks have not fired on a tornado with proximity fuse shells to see what happens to get data.

in fact nobody has fired any projectiles at it all.

why?

why not a fire rocket propelled grenade at it?

why not fire air fuel shells into it.it will rip the tornado apart.saving lives and billions of $$$.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Interesting idea OP, but I couldn't find anything in your links addressing tornados, they are a different animal.

Would this still work on a tornado? Hurricanes & typhoons usually have some advance warning and tracking (ie. time to scramble the fighter jets)...whereas tornados pop right up from a wall cloud, and rip everything to shreds.

I can't see where they would have enough time to buzz tornados.

Seems to me underground shelters are more effective, although they are not necessarily standard in the south..The problem is they're expensive.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Signals because: classified

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

becky.
two hundred tornadoes, which appear and disappear suddenly is a long shot.
what about the tornado in the desert miles from populations?

what benefit does a tornado provide?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

What benefit does a tornado provide?

Population control?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

and the speakers just destroyed thirty seven mobile homes in its wake.
who pays for that?

tanks firing aerosol cans at thunderstorms?

are you sober?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

If people in tornado alley had as much advance warning as those on the coast of a hurricane, there would be no deaths from tornadoes.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
reply to post by Signals

If people in tornado alley had as much advance warning as those on the coast of a hurricane, there would be no deaths from tornadoes.

I've lived in "tornado alley" my entire life. When a storm cell starts sprouting tornados, the only warning is something like TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY, STAY AWAY FROM ALL WINDOWS AND DOORS, GO TO A CENTRAL LOCATION IN YOUR HOME IMMEDIATELY! because it's going to hit in 5-10 minutes.

That's all the warning you get from a tornado, they come and go QUICK. They are not hurricanes!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

becky, you sound like a survivor of a tornado, or a relative of someone who experienced a tornado.

they are terrible storms, we are not gods, who can control everything.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

becky, you sound like a survivor of a tornado, or a relative of someone who experienced a tornado.

We can only become gods if we aspire to become gods.

everyday America gets closer and closer to Godhood.

Our technological prowess is exponential.

You know what exponential means? every day America pushes back ignorance and invents new devices.

For example America can kill terrorists by remote control.Using Drones.We invented that.

Compare this with an African who thinks that raping an albino will cure them of Aids.

America is the only country that is eternal and infinite in existance.

America cannot be destroyed for America is not just a country.it is an idea.and ideas cannot be destroyed.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

We can only become gods if we aspire to become gods.

everyday America gets closer and closer to Godhood.

Our technological prowess is exponential.

You know what exponential means? every day America pushes back ignorance and invents new devices.

For example America can kill terrorists by remote control.Using Drones.We invented that.

Compare this with an African who thinks that raping an albino will cure them of Aids.

America is the only country that is eternal and infinite in existance.

America cannot be destroyed for America is not just a country.it is an idea.and ideas cannot be destroyed.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Likewise, I was born, and lived my youth in "tornado alley".

I recall one bright sunny Saturday morning watching cartoons on the couch in the living room before heading outside to play. My mother walked into the room to check on me, her jaw dropped, and she said, "Downstairs NOW!". I turned to look out the picture window behind the couch and caught a glimpse of a full sized garbage can flying down the road about 7 feet off the ground! It was a bright sunny day, no civil defense sirens, and no interruptions on the TV whatsoever. We stayed downstairs for about half an hour listening to the radio, and not a single mention of severe weather at all. Later that night, on the 10 o'clock news, they finally mentioned a tornado touching down briefly about a block and a half from our house. Sometimes ya don't even get a 5-10 minute warning, and storm cells are not required for tornadoes to form. They're unpredictable buggers.

Originally posted by beckybecky
it is astonishing that a Abrams tanks have not fired on a tornado with proximity fuse shells to see what happens to get data.

It's not astonishing at all. In the overwhelming majority of cases scrambling jets in time would be next to impossible; so attempting to "scramble" Abrams tanks to the correct location seems quite absurd.
edit on 5/9/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

ideas of reference and auditory hallucinations usually accompany the imminent presence of a torando do they not?

we will never achieve godhood in this life, too many addictions: food, sex, money, alcohol, drugs and control are at play.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

godhood means infinite and unlimited power.

being able to anything with fear or favor.

smite tornadoes with snap of a finger.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

You remind me of a tornado.
Lots of wind.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

You remind me of a tornado.
Lots of wind.

Star for you

I'm picturing a supersonic jet with an unimaginably TIGHT turning radius moving against the wind, with pilots or remote control using amazing reaction speed to adjust flightpath, while sucking up houses and barns into the intakes and with cars bouncing off the windscreen, and still maintaining the relative position within the vortex of the tornado. Of course these jets were on standby outside the mobile home park to respond within a minute's notice.

Do you know the turning radius of a jet flying at supersonic speed? Its much larger than the swirling vortex of even the largest tornadoes. So I see the picture above only in my wildest dreams.

Therefore I really see choked turbines, smashed windscreens, and jets tumbling and tossed out of the skies. Then I see mangled jets with missing wings burning mobile home parks in a massive fireball of flaming jet fuel.

I also picture ground crews with big supersonic cannons scrambling to get their bearings and gear in the right position. I see these same crews and equipment getting sucked up and then tossed into the aforementioned mobile home parks (now currently burning in a great fireball from the crashed jets fully loaded with fuel).

I'm having a harder time seeing the Abrams tanks scrambling to do the same thing, and I see the ordinance fired from these tanks getting tossed by the force of the tornado and further bombing the remains of the burning and smashed mobile home parks.

Doesn't take a prophet to see the above. Simple understanding of physics and cause / effect will do the trick. I will make a wild guess this is why the report doesn't mention tornadoes. Someone (presumably with a simple understanding of the aforementioned physics and cause / effect) probably saw this same scenario, or one similar to the above...or had a difficult time convincing pilots to volunteer for the experiments, or military institutions willing to release their assets for a foolhardy test.

I can't even see man becoming gods with the snap of a finger. Therefore man is limited by the physics of this natural world. That makes the above the most applicable scenarios of the proposed experimentation of the OP.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
Since America is being subjected to a tornado invasion with 300 dead and maybe $20 billion in damage already and more tornadoes forecast why don't the Americans use this invention to destroy cyclones,tornadoes and hurricanes?

It is simple cheap and effective.

www.theregister.co.uk...

www.wipo.int...

Given their nature, supersonic booms are potentially very efficient in hurricane/typhoon suppression, mitigation and/or elimination. This is because, while not wishing to be bound to any one theory, supersonic booms destabilize and/or destroy the two major dynamic features of a hurricane/typhoon - steady maximum rotational speed in the eye wall area and the pressure deficiency located at/near a hurricane's/typhoon's vertical axis of revolution. For example, two F-4 jet fighters flying at approximately Mach 1.5 are sufficient, in one embodiment, to suppress, mitigate and/or destroy a typical sized hurricane/typhoon. Of course, larger or smaller hurricanes/typhoons may necessitate the need for more or less supersonic capable aircraft.

Any answers why the American Air force is sitting on its hands doing nothing?

www.futurepundit.com...
edit on 30-4-2011 by beckybecky because: links

edit on 30-4-2011 by beckybecky because: link removal

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 30/4/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

another smart thing to do would be figure out how to make a wind turbine, or something that won't be destroyed, but will create energy from the tornado. Produce huge amounts of energy for us.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by locololo
another smart thing to do would be figure out how to make a wind turbine, or something that won't be destroyed, but will create energy from the tornado. Produce huge amounts of energy for us.

Yes I agree (that this idea is just as smart as the original poster's idea - well maybe a little smarter).
We can't even make power transmission lines that will stay up during tornadoes. I would hope these expensive turbines would be useful in the light breeze of the rolling plains that will be present the rest of the year.

The TSR (tip speed ratio) of such a turbine would be fantastically high. I am now imagining the poor mobile home parks with turbine blades spearing them in the big storms and huge gearboxes smashing thru their living rooms. Most existing wind turbines are made to be stalled and locked rotor in such wind events to prevent the shearing forces from rotational winds ripping them apart or high wind speeds frying the generator from excess generated current.

Therefore I hope that was a tongue-in-cheek idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join