It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans don't believe the economic recovery propaganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well good!

Most Americans say U.S. in recession despite data: poll

More than half of Americans say the U.S. economy is in a recession or a depression despite official data that show a moderate recovery, according to a poll released on Thursday.

The April 20-23 Gallup survey of 1,013 U.S. adults found that only 27 percent said the economy is growing. Twenty-nine percent said the economy is in a depression and 26 percent said it is in a recession, with another 16 percent saying it is "slowing down," Gallup said.

There's still 27% in total denial.... as long as their government check/dancing with the stars is on, the economy is growing!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
LOL maybe it is true then that people are waking up? Heck, as long as they are not believing the government, that's a good start right?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think most Americans can look around and see things aren't alright.

The propaganda that the economy is growing is believed only by those who peddle it, or have a vested interest in making others believe it.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Actually,its close to the point that Americans dont believe ANYTHING they see on MSM,hear onTalk Radio or anything other so-called "news source"...its getting pretty bad

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

not sure where you live, but most people believe the lies that come out of that magical box round these parts.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuncrazy
reply to post by Homedawg

not sure where you live, but most people believe the lies that come out of that magical box round these parts.

Same here.. It gets bad when your Dad is one of them...

*Facepalm

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The economy is getting better in the short term for the elite. Everyone else tough cookie.
edit on 28-4-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stuncrazy

Im sorry you live in such a place...enlightenment has been slow in coming here but its getting coming along pretty fast

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
And they should not believe it.
Sorry, but numbers don't lie.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WillNiendick

my parents, aunts and uncles buy the MSM crap all the time.. il specifically tell them things, they say im crazy, then a year later when it happens (get money out of 401k pre-2008 crash, buy silver!! when at $11/oz) they say, "I wish I would have known"

It drives me soooo crazy. they would have quadrupled their money instead of having 1/3 of it. I even spelled it out for them..

it is the Darn baby boomers!!!! they have RUINED THIS COUNTRY!! those born from 40's and 50's are the blame.. where were they in the streets protesting and stopping the madness being seeded in the 90's? NO ***** they were too busy spending, vacationing, partying, cashing out equity, etc..

the baby boomers worked in the 70's, 80's, 90's and made RIDICULOUS pay back when things were CHEAP!!

THEY OVERBOUGHT HOUSES, REFI'D LIKE CRAZY, SPENT LIKE DRUNKEN SAILORS!!!!!!

now, they want us under 40 crowd to "fall in step", work for peanuts, buy their over priced houses (which means pay for their exuberance and refi's [cars, vacations, clothes, jewelry, dining]), fund their retirements at their lifestyles while working (wtf??), all while we have NOTHING!!

the BABY BOOMERS are the Pinnocchio Donkey kids, I'll be darned if I pay for their incredible GREED, LACK OF FORESIGHT, and HEALTH PROBLEMS, not to mention social security which we won't even see..

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That 27% would be the Progressives. Clearly everything is peachy.. unemployment dropping, free health care coming our way, we ended both wars, and a president who is open about everything he does and says, having no back room deals or secrets!

Just to name a few successes.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Those Bush tax cuts and rebate checks really helped spur on the economy. I couldn't think of a better way to spend the "surplus". All the jobs created, wow. I'm not for any party. I believe we're ruled by a cabal of elitist #s but the smoke blown up my ass is making my eyes water when it comes to this crap. Ten years ago we were told we had to waste money to give tax cuts for the rich and not so rich to create jobs. Looks good to me.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I told my mom today how the economy is booming again. She looked at me like I had 3 heads

Stock markets up = Economy doing good.
Whats really happening: PPT (Plunge Protection Team, aka Federal Reserve team) is/was pumping up the markets with QE2 money to give the illusion all is well (and thus peoples retirement accounts 401(k)'s and IRA's are being artificially upheld so they stay HAPPY/CONTENT)

US Companies making greater profits! = Weaker dollar means they export more to foreign countries, and raise prices on us (inflation), while keeping wages the same. No wonder they are making record profits. Too bad it's not really creating jobs here.

Unemployment going down!! woo! = after a certain time if you don't find a job, you are not part of the "work force" anymore. I guess graduating from student status and then looking for a job you are not considered unemployed because you were not previously employed (for an example).

I like this picture. It shows where the Dow Jones index is compared to the price of gold over the years.

Basically its showing that the stock market compared to gold(inflation) has not really gone anywhere. Nobody is making any profits, but the tax man.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Remember, it takes a bank to give the loan. No matter how high a risk. Then they used the collateral from those risky loans to make risky bets on wall street. Then they got bailed out. The rest of us are holding our sacs. My house was just valued at 60% of what we paid for it five years ago. Where's my free money for a bad investment?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

anyone who bought a house within the last five years deserves what they got because its survival of the smartest--i.e. death to the retards (in a sense)

anyone stupid enough to buy into the crap about "real estate always goes up", "they don't make land anymore", or my favorite that a real estate agent once said NO JOKE "your house is your atm"....

smart people noticed:

1.) what must goes up-----must come down in an economy such as ours
2.) when home prices were going up PAY kinda wasn't..ie., who is gonna afford the payments?
3.) anytime there has been A HUGE INFLUX OF IMMIGRANTS.. the economy plummets!! historical fact

I knew home prices were gonna come down. i worked as an electrician (then pump engineer designing water and sewage systems) in socal building homes,schools, highrises, hotels, etc.. mexicans keep FLOODING in, pay kept GOING DOWN.. interest only loans, $300,000-350,000-then 400,000, then 480,000, then 550,000, then 650,000 for a house.. what rocket scientist didn't see it coming?

factories were CLOSING or bringing in WAVES OF MEXICANS for HALF THE PAY!!

DOTCOM bubble should have been a learning experience..what a feeding frenzy always leaves in its wake? NOT MUCH..

if noone was STUPID enough to take out the loans then what would have happened?

ah yes....Lorenzini suckered many into becoming DONKEYS, even pinocchio was at first, HE WAS THE ONLY ONE who caught on..

everything in america is geared towards th 80% in the IQ bell curve who think they are smart, but really are not, and therefore fit the old adage "just enough brains to be dangerous"...

i bought my house in 2009, after waiting, warning my co-workers who thought i was "crazy" or "just being negative" and paid HALF. of its asking price!! woohoo for many like me.. too bad we have to work with idiots who got scammed by their own lack of a working brain though.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
"Most Americans" are living with a different reality than the investor class. Perfect example is the turnout McD's had on their big hiring day... 1 million people applied for 50,000 awesome jobs. Think about it, that's almost 1 of every 300 people in the country standing in line to get a job that pays just over minimum wage and has a 50/50 chance of being temporary.

Where I live (Denver), you can see the disparity that this bizarre economy has created. I see quite a few brand new cars running around with temp tags and of course most are the biggest trucks and SUVs money can buy, and I still see plenty of shoppers at the high end malls.

On the other hand, I see more panhandlers than ever and still way too many for sale signs. Everyone I know personally has been really hard hit by the real economy: reduced wages, reduced hours, no work or a job that pays less than they were accustomed to.

A couple of things I notice that I think are a tell about the overall state of the economy is 1) I see a lot of newer vehicles running around with body damage - I suspect that these people were covered by insurance but had to spend the monies they received on bills. 2) Lots of out of state tags - I think because word is, our economy is better than a lot of other areas. I've noticed these things during previous recessions as well.

You paint with a broad brush when you light into the baby boomers.

Technically, I am a boomer (early 60s) although can't say I feel like part of that generation... very different experiences growing up in the 50's - 60's vs 70's - 80's.

Being a late boomer, I was sold the same bill of goods you were. The history I was taught in school had already been whitewashed. All of the ponzi schemes that were created (social security/medicare) were well in place by the time I entered the workforce. When I did start looking for work in earnest (early 80's) I walked right into a recession.

My husband and I weren't able to get our first house until we were in our late 30's because we had to save for the down payment and establish good credit. Pensions for most of the workforce were already obsolete so we tried to contribute to a 401k which was decimated. The only privilege I've had over younger people is being forced to pay social security tax on my income for a much longer period of time.

A couple of things that were significantly better when I was younger was the cost of healthcare and the cost of secondary education. But, that was before the government got involved.

The ones I AM upset with are those that were in their 20's and 30's when Eisenhower and Kennedy got on national radio and television and tried to warn the people what was going on. Having had no internet, I didn't find out about these warnings until fairly recently.

The true frenzy in economic activity has really only been in the decade leading up to the recession/depression. In fair part attributable to the equations dreamt up for computers to run to create a fantasy. Bet it wasn't boomers that did that. Gen-x ers anyone?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I would so give you a high five right now! Could not agree more. My Dad just sits upstairs, eats processed food, preaches about the bible, and gets hypnotized by the television. Literally, it's all he will do. He prides himself on bossing people around, and proving his dominince. He always has to project his opinion, and when hes wrong, he will stomp out of the house.

I suppose it's more of a personal bias against my dad, but he is still buying into the whole 'Religion is good, MSM is your friend!' bundle.

I mean, people get such big egos from this stupd society. I had my Dad come home one day, and threatened to smash my d*** in the door!

It's just a bunch of idiots being brainwashed..
Sorry for the rant lol

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I have a good idea for recovery cut off the wealthy and the businesses. Hike up their taxes and do not allow them to pass along the tax increases to their customers in the form of higher prices. The wealthy had a good for a while and they are constantly trying to take take and take some more from the poor/middle class. It is our turn to rule the USA now.
Obama spent a huge percent on just bailing out the banks and big corperations. If he would have helped small businesses of the people instead it would have cost the USA a lot less. Another idea is to stop all wars overseas and cut down on help to oversea countries. I am not saying don't provide some relief but why do we have to give billions of our dollars out in foreign aid? We need to try to help america from the inside first.
The republicans want to cut programs that aren't even part of the national debt such as Social Security and Medicare. By the way Medicare is not free. Ok maybe cut down on medicaid for people who have enough money to but their own health insurance. Have stricter rules on social programs if doing the above is not enough but they need to stop dipping their hands into social security. They should never reduce any type of benefits whether it be welfare or social security.
Education should be encouraged and there needs to be an expanision of self sufficency programs for those who are not disabled. Illegal immingration is also a drain on the system; let's crack down on that and allow a few a path to citzenship. The others I am sad to say may have to go home. I know that is horrible but we need to take care of our own first. Then let's make outsourcing illegal for any american company so jobs can be brought back. Of course there are exceptions such as american employee can go work in a foreign country but be paid by an american company. Offer jobs to americans first then if they don't want the jobs companies can outsource at a livable wage.
We need to get these corperations and big businesses in check because they are out of control. If the government would come at this from a fair and honest approach we would recover. It may take some time but at least we won't be doomed!

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
This is a good article/blog that talks about the economic propaganda.

jessescrossroadscafe.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Did you just call me a retard?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join