It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Panels Rise Pole by Pole, Followed by Gasps of ‘Eyesore’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

“I hate them,” Mr. Olsen, 40, said of the row of panels attached to electrical poles across the street. “It’s just an eyesore.”

The solar installations, the first and most extensive of their kind in the country, are part of a $515 million investment in solar projects by PSE&G under a state mandate that by 2021 power providers get 23 percent of their electricity from renewable sources. If they were laid out like quilt pieces, the 5-by-2.5-foot panels would blanket 170 acres.

nytimes.com

Who cares if they reduce dependance on foreign oil. Someone doesn't like the view.

Because the telephone poles that stink of creosote with hundreds of wires spidering around are absolutely artistic.

Just another case of NIMBY. People want things to change just as long as it isn't in their neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Idiots.

More solar panels, less power plants and long transmission lines, and if we are worried about views, how about outlawing beachfront condos?

I say we outlaw all beach front condos and hotels, charge a hefty insurance premium to those properties within 1000 feet of the coast line, lower everyone else's insurance, and restore the beautiful scenic drives along the coast!

These people would rather not have the solar panels, so that they can have a better view?

I hope Greenpeace eggs their homes.

edit on 28-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think the idea would be more to just create a huge field of solar panels that are out on land that isnt visited much, that would be better than sticking them on the poles
edit on 28-4-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
First they did it for call boxes, and now this?! I can't stand looking at those solar panels while I'm driving by them at 65 mph, let alone standing still!

I could do without those wind farms as well. They are just atrocious!

And those underwater turbines... complete eyesores!

edit on 4/28/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
I think the idea would be more to just create a huge field of solar panels that are out on land that isnt visited much, that would be better than sticking them on the poles

No, my brother is a physicist and an economist, and he has a plan. The US has more than enough Roof Space to provide the entire countries needs for electricity without utilizing any additional land!

Plus, by using rooftops, you have an added "cooling" effect on the building which translates to less energy used!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Couldn't agree more.

Nothing else to say...you said it all.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Oh come on. Let's complain about everything being bad for the environment and then complain about the solution being ugly.

That's okay, give me a ton of solar I won't complain.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

you know what? Your brother is right about that. as seen HERE it is possible and should be required on all new roofs.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
yes you can create solar fields. But those can be an eyesore as well. XD

I imagine by using an electrical infasructure already in place, that it saves quite a bit installation costs.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by thegoods724

No, my brother is a physicist and an economist, and he has a plan. The US has more than enough Roof Space to provide the entire countries needs for electricity without utilizing any additional land!

Plus, by using rooftops, you have an added "cooling" effect on the building which translates to less energy used!

Ding!

Exactly mate...replace roof shingle or tiles with Solar on a roll or even conventional panels...that's it! NO extra land is required.

The average home will need between 2-6 KW...this could easily be achieved with even half a roof space covered, let alone the whole thing.

As you say, it will add cooling too which will save energy.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

by using rooftops, you have an added "cooling" effect on the building which translates to less energy used!

I wonder, is there a way of making the panels warm, so the snow doesn't stay piled on them in the winter?

I would love to cover my entire south side of the roof with panels if I could afford it, but up here, all the panels I've seen are set up close to the ground.

With as much winter as we get, we are the sunniest province. Unfortunately the panels are still so expensive. For anyone starting a new house though, they are less expensive than getting onto the power grid, if out in the country.
edit on 28-4-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
All of these "alternative" "energy" scams have been trumpeted as our savior from "foreign oil" since I was a child. They are all designed with one thing in mind...to separate you from your money. Most of these "companies" exist on federal grants which is a fancy way of saying "your tax money."

"Solar Energy" is welfare for "scientists" who know full well it is a scam on the taxpayer.

It is a cousin of the "global warming" scam that bilked so many suckers out of their hard-earned coin.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Solar Panels work no matter where you live. I forget what country it is but the country that uses solar energy the most is pretty far north. It doesn't have to do with the warmth.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

The mandate is for the energy companies to turn 25% of their output into alternative energy.

By placing it in someone's home, you have to refit the whole house to accept solar energy, which is expensive. Then you don't know what homeowners are going to do with it. And you can't get them to maintain them. Then you would have to have the utility companies come into the house regularly for maintenance.
For utilities lines, there is already an infastructure and system into place, along with an already established maintenance system.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by snowspirit

I would assume you could put a grid of wire that heats up to melt the snow hen you flick the switch. Similar to the defrosting mechanism on the back window of most cars.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Just another case of NIMBY. People want things to change just as long as it isn't in their neighborhood.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cdc6e6df188.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Not just rooftops, but also places that could use rooftops - like parking lots!

Green Business Sun shades cool parking lots, pump out solar energy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1491c417134.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0100f208564.jpg[/atsimg]

They would make use of otherwise useless space, keep your car in the shade, and become automatic charging stations for electric vehicles. Some numbers for you:

Parking lots in the US:
• Area = 1.9 million ha (19000 km2, or 137.8 km x 137.8 km)
• PV covering all parking lots at 180 W/m2 and 15% efficiency would generate ~ 4500 TWh/yr
• Total US electricity demand is ~ 4200 TWh/yr

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

Bumping the thread so more people can see your post! That is a wonderful double usage of space!! More than enough to generate all the power needs! How do we buy stock in that idea?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
OH! My EYES!!!!!! MY EYES!!! What a terribly ugly discovery that is going to save our planet and ourselves from dangerous materials that are being used as we speak... Nah, I 'd go with the dangerous ones, after all, it's all about appearances, right?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Hey, bring those panels to my property! I will take the "eyesore"! I actually love the look of solar panels because of what they represent. FREE power! How can you not love that?

The guy's an idiot, IMO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join