It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Phone Calls being received in Nigeria.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Fear and confusion reigns over strange tales of harmful phone numbers. Operators insist the claims are unscientific and superstitious, probably the work of dupes. But fresh "evidences" appear to puncture puncture these arguments. . JULIUS OLOYEDE reports.

Don�t answer that phone!!!!!!!

Well according to the Daily Times of Nigeria if you do you could die. The killer phone call epidemic started out as an urban legend until Aderibigbe Femi Mansur answered a phantom phone call and before he could initiate a converstation he passed out according to witnesses.

The number he received the call from was 08023066866 as posted outside the New Temple Spiritual Church.

Even more intriguing these some of these killer numbers do not exist on any phone network..

Needless to say a very intriguing story to read the full story

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Back in the days when I had an interest in underground activities (hey, I was a kid ya know?) I can recall a phone hack which will allow you to send a shock through the phone. Basically, the shock either stuns the victim for a while or it can kill them. This can only be executed by altering the victim's phone.

Had someone altered the phone? I would say it would be more the phone's fault than any other negative beings'. Perhaps the phone was bugged during manufacturing.

This is the most likely explanation I can think of.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Sounds a bit like The Ring but without the TV and the video. Unless someone is doing it through thought projection, by accessing a part of the answerers brain and terminating there brains system. Dolphins can stun with there melon. Maybe its some kind of new government weapon in which they transmit a high pitched sonic sound down the phone killing the answerer.

[edit on 28-7-2004 by kode]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Now if they were killer e-mails, that would have been poetic.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Yeah i have heard that too... i think it is done by sending a power surge down the line... the effect on the person is very much like that created by lighting hitting the phone line while a person is actually ON the phone. The electricity/spark jumps through/from the phone and into the person.
But i haven't heard of it happen'n on a mobile phone.

[edit on 28/7/2004 by jameo131i]

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
BBC Website Article

A rumour has spread rapidly in the commercial capital, Lagos, that if one answers calls from certain "killer numbers" then one will die immediately.

A BBC reporter says experts and mobile phone operators have been reassuring the public via the media that death cannot result from receiving a call.

He says that in such a superstitious country unfounded rumours are common.

A list of alleged killer numbers has been circulated but no-one is reported to have died from answering the phone.

The BBC's reporter in Lagos, Sola Odunfa, says that the current scare story is reminiscent of a rumour that spread a few years ago that a handshake could cause sexual organs to disappear.

That rumour turned to tragedy as mobs rounded on people accused of making organs disappear.

Despite the massive public interest, no-one was found to have lost their organs.

Now there is a surprise LOL

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep.
Remember, comrade,
miles to go before you sleep."

Okay, so maybe this isn't Telefon. Sounds more like an urban legend, and maybe one that is getting out of hand.

The power of suggestion can be very strong, and potentially fatal. Much of traditional shamanistic magic is based on the power of suggestion.

While it seems far less likely, I suppose it is also possible for a sufficiently impressionable person to die of fright inspired by an urban legend, but such a scenario seems extremely improbable to me. Still, it sounds like some mass hysteria may be afoot in Nigeria.

Perhaps it is the revenge of the spirit of Generalissimo Bodata Q. Kwazi for all those people smuggling all that money out of his bank account after he died. You never know.

Whether or not this story is true, it is indeed possible, if the subject is properly conditioned, to stimulate an individual to execute posthypnotic suggestions, or induce a potentially fatal neurological response over the phone (not the domain of the amateur hypnotist).

So take my advice and stay away from people that want to brainwash you.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I would be more interested in an official cause of death for those fatalities.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What I find to be the most interesting is that some of the numbers do not exist on any phone network. I work in the telecom sector and I know for a fact if a number does not exist on a network it cannot make a call. These are truly the phantom calls.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
That hacker trick was called a blotto box if I remember correctly. Anyway I thought this was an urban legend?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
wasn't that the plot line to the movie "The Ring" or "Fear Dot Com" ?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is just more African superstition getting ahold of the population again. This happens all the time...

See this thread about 'demons' attacking a school.
Demons on the loose

Fear spreads quickly there when almost everyone is uneducated and have a primitive lifesyle.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calculon386
Fear spreads quickly there when almost everyone is uneducated and have a primitive lifesyle.

In fairness, fear seems to spread much more quickly in an electronic, globally-connected information-oriented society like ours.

The good news is that fear also tends to dissipate more quickly as well, at least when it is irrational fear.

The basic mechanism at work in Nigeria, however, seems identical to what I observe on the Internet, leading me to conclude that, no matter how "advanced" or "primitive" we might be, we're all still only human.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Why are there so many stupid people in the world?

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
hey this maybe as "majic" says throught the powers of suggestion....have anyone in here seen that Derren brown episode where he rings the public payfone and 20 seconds later the person who decided to answer the phone falls asleep.... He's done this many times in his latest series.... maybe something similar is happening in Nigeria...just a thought

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bspielburg
That hacker trick was called a blotto box if I remember correctly. Anyway I thought this was an urban legend?

Maybe not - www.rotteneggs.com...

I used to be interested (still am really) in phreaking techniques... But recently thought that a lot are extinct - due to newer phone network systems?

I think that is is possible to send a shock down the phone... But only if the vctims phone is altered. E.g - build in some electric shock device into the earpiece, alter the programming of the phone - so a attacker can call the phone in question; and send it a signal telling it to 'strike'.

top topics

join