It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lest We Forget

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning
We will remember them.

For all Australian and New Zealand people on ATS, i hope you had a great day and spared a thought or two for the brothers and sisters that made OUR lands worthy

And to the brothers and sisters who are fighting today we are thinking of you

Lest We Forget

We are the lucky countries because of them, ssshhhhhh dont tell anyone

Wal

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
silence...

Good day. sad day...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
lest we forget.

2nd....

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
It's odd, In Belgium you get very little news about ANZAC day, although there are various dawn services here.
I almost missed it this year.

I'll raise a glass tonight anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally
They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning
We will remember them.

For all Australian and New Zealand people on ATS, i hope you had a great day and spared a thought or two for the brothers and sisters that made OUR lands worthy

And to the brothers and sisters who are fighting today we are thinking of you

Lest We Forget

We are the lucky countries because of them, ssshhhhhh dont tell anyone

Wal

Gday Auswally.
Its good to see The ANZACS remembered on ATS.
Me and my mates have sat and watched the ANZAC day parades all day today in Australia.
The Gallipoli cerermony is a favourite and is a special thing to watch.
We Aussie's and our Kiwi brothers and sisters have alot to be proud of today.

AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN,
AND IN THE MORNING
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.
LEST WE FORGET.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
One thing I forgot to add if you have never seen Australians at war produced by the ABC you need to watch it, I have the set box and it is truly an amazing video on our war history, it will make you laugh and cry, it will make you laugh and shed a tear, a must watch, I personally watch this every ANZAC day,Don't know if it is on you Tube or not someone maybe be bothered to look it up and up load it

We are so lucky guys and one thing I always teach my kids, be thankful for what you have, not we have got, all because of one thing, the ANZACS

Wal

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

edit on 25-4-2011 by auswally because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by auswally because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Flanders fields. ( John McCrae)

In flanders fields the poppie's blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky.
The larks still braverly singing fly.

Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead short long ago,
We lived,
Felt dawn,
Saw sunset glow.
Loved and were loved,
and now we lie in Flanders field.

Take up our quarrel with our foe
To you from failing hands we throw;
The torch; be yours to hold it high
If ye ; break faith from those who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders field.

LEST WE FORGET.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

Your a bloody legend Wally.
Your choice in music is something that should be admired and respected today.
Thumbs up my mate.

Peace.
Meathed

S&F.
edit on 25-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

Your a bloody legend Wally. Your choice in music is something that should be admired and respected today. Thumbs up my mate.

I am dead set serious meathed, I cant listen to any of them with out choking up or shedding a tear, please don't post up the last post that kills me

Onya mate, love ya work and the poem you posted is a dead set classic

Two little boys, I only realized this about 5 years ago when I actually listened to the lyrics, light horseman and mate ship, great tune

Wal

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally
reply to post by meathed

Your a bloody legend Wally. Your choice in music is something that should be admired and respected today. Thumbs up my mate.

I am dead set serious meathed, I cant listen to any of them with out choking up or shedding a tear, please don't post up the last post that kills me

Onya mate, love ya work and the poem you posted is a dead set classic

Two little boys, I only realized this about 5 years ago when I actually listened to the lyrics, light horseman and mate ship, great tune

Wal

Thanks Wal. ( and i wont tell a soul)
The Flanders Field poem is a favourite of mine. I don't know why..... but it is.
I know you are serious too mate, The last post choke's me up too.

Your choice in music was great for ANZAC day my friend.
And you should have just heard me and my mate singing i was only 19. (we were bloody brilliant).
Thanks again Wal.

Take care mate

edit on 25-4-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

here ya go mate found something, but you need to watch the hole shootn match but its a start, take note of the age of the people getting interviewed that's why I love this documentary, 104. 102 99 fark me, gold

wal

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by auswally

Thank you again mate.
The songs and the footage you have shared is a hauntingly beautiful thing.
The courage that those boy's ,men and women displayed in that footage was awe inspiring but also sad to watch.
Thank you for showing me and my mates another part of our history.

LEST WE FORGET.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by meathed

sh^ t man got more and this is apart of the ABC doco if ya havent seen it get it, finding it is hard

00q_IuiAAjc&feature=related

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Have a look at where we have fought, why the war on terra, we fought there long before this crap, so why ?

anyway

another part 5

Wal

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Thanks Mate,

Im always proud to be an Aussie but this is the only day of the year I get genuinely patriotic.

Thinking about what these brave men must have gone through, and knowing they pushed themselves through hell so I could be lucky enough to have the life I do today...... The only word I can think of is humbling.

Theres no way we could ever repay, but qw can remember. Every year I get up before dawn, I go outside and put on the radio and privately shed a tear to these fallen heroes while that sad tune plays and hope they can know how much I appreciate their sacrifice.

Lest we forget
edit on 25-4-2011 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just thought I would throw up one more,classic flick and arguably the last Calvary charge in history, The battle for Beersheba ( for those that don't know its Gaza ),Amazing thing is these guys weren't supposed to charge they were foot soldiers, They charged with their bayonets

Quote from flick "Who do you reckon is bombing us the Turks or the bloody poms "

And just another i found today and most wouldnt know this story see below

04 May 2007 by Robyn Van-Dyk. No comments
Exhibitions,Lawrence of Arabia and the Light Horse, The Arab Revolt, The Light Horse

A force of nearly 5,000 from the Turkish Maan garrison was encountered by elements of the 5th Australian Light Horse Regiment at Ziza on 29 September 1918. This dramatic painting, Ziza by H. Septimus Power, depicts the unique event where members the Australian Light Horse for one night shared food and fire with soldiers of the Turkish Army and joined forces with the Turks against Arabs from the Beni Sakhr tribes.

H Septimus Powerâ��s Ziza 1935 oil on canvasH Septimus Power’s Ziza 1935 oil on canvas

The extraordinary event at Ziza occurred towards the end of Major General Chaytor’s successful campaign east of the Jordan. The Maan garrison was hopelessly cut off and had been fleeing northwards to Amman. On the morning of the 29 September 1918, their hasty defensive position at Ziza station was contacted by two squadrons of the 5th Light Horse Regiment under Lieutenant Colonel Donald Cameron. Thousands of Beni Sakhr tribesmen had gathered in the hills surrounding the Turkish Garrison, threatening to strike against them. The Turkish commander wanted to surrender but was unwilling to lay down their arms to the small Australian force since that might mean their annihilation by the Arabs. General Chaytor himself came forward late in the afternoon to consult with Cameron about the situation and decided that the Turks should remain in their trenches and keep their arms until stronger reinforcements arrived the following morning. The 7th Light Horse Regiment assisted in the defence of the position overnight and this unlikely coupling of Turkish and Australian troops stood guard until daylight. By the next morning the New Zealand Mounted Rifle Brigade had arrived and it was safe to disarm the Turks and formally take them prisoner.

Ziza surrender document signed by Ottoman Company Commander Ali HousainZiza surrender document signed by Ottoman Company Commander Ali Housain
The original official surrender document, signed by “Ottoman Company Commander at Djezir, Ali Housain,” Commander of the Ziza Garrison, ceding troops, guns and other stores to the Australian Forces, is held at the Australian War Memorial and will be on display in the exhibition.

A detailed narrative account of the surrender at Ziza written by Donald Cameron can be read in the appendices of the war diaries for the 5th Australian Light Horse here. Cameron notes in the war diary that the Turkish forces, although having great superiority of numbers, were terrified of the Bedouins and seemed “worn out”.

source Australian War Memorial

Wal

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
well we all had a good day rum and port for breakfast and all day at local rsl

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Auswally, I hope you don't mind as you posted the Slim Dusty version earlier but this version by the Pogues gets me everytime. It's 8 minutes long but a brilliant version.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Auswally, I hope you don't mind as you posted the Slim Dusty version earlier but this version by the Pogues gets me everytime. It's 8 minutes long but a brilliant version.

Nah mate not a problem at all. I posted Slim because i am a bit of a fan . I have heard that version before by the Pogues, its quality, thanks for p[osting it up

wal

top topics

<<   2 >>

join