It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FBI Has Issued 40 Arrest Warrants For Anonymous Members

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkofCain
reply to post by Beast Of Gevaudan

you can kiss your internet goodbye if hackers didn't do their jobs.

i can't believe ppl who would call hackers a nuisance yet know nothing about the word itself

Really? I wasn't aware that hackers were my internet provider!

They give my computer viruses, cause my computer to freeze, disrupt my online gaming experience, and compromise my credit card security. Explain to me how they're making my life easier.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Below is a true story bro.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term ‘hacker’. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music — actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them ‘hackers’ too — and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in. But in the rest of this document we will focus on the skills and attitudes of software hackers, and the traditions of the shared culture that originated the term ‘hacker’.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

www.catb.org...

Hackers are NOT Crackers

The media has always latched on to stories of so-called `hackers' breaking into computer systems and wreaking havoc. This article is a sincere attempt to set the record straight as far as the terminology and process of `hacking' is concerned.

The hacker culture as it is known, actually started way back in the 1950's when computers were huge and bulky, and programming them meant connecting wires to electrodes. Although they didn't call themselves hackers then, that pretty much explains what a hacker is.

Euphoria

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So I previously posted why I did not think anon was behind the attack on the PSN network. I offered a brief synopsis of what I thought occurred during the attack. Today I stumbled across a chat log that spelled out what the actual attack vector was.

After gaining entrance to the PSN network, and being able to query server responses, it was found that the authorization server was running on an older version of Linux, and that box was most likely rooted.

user12 auth.np.ac.playstation.net
user2 ya the displayed version u see via banner is not the real version
user12 unless they updated it in the last couple weeks
user12 I doubt that since its not trivial to change that
user12 its a bit more invasive than just setting it to Prod like they do on their other servers
user11 you know, watching this conversation makes me think about whether it was a good idea after all to buy a couple of games from psn using a visa card
user2 its just backported security patches
user11 i did remove all my info after downloading the games though
user12 that is just psn not the store
user12 they are running linux 2.6.9-2.6.24 on that box too

Once again, this was not anon, and not an anon chat room.

edit on 27-4-2011 by subjenyuz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well it was nice to see the nephew on his bike for a change out in the fresh air

Its incredibly worrying that someone would create a virus to destroy a nuclear reactor, that is just sooooo wrong, I wish people would get a freaking grip. Doesn't humanity disgust you sometimes eh. In the other thread I thought they said they were going to release some of the code and make it opensource?

I went to an anonomous site and had a look round a few months back, most of the posts didn't seem malicious at all, they seem like us truthers, some were mischevious, but there didn't seem to be any massive evil intent against society, quite the opposite, it was almost like they were using their skills to capture and bring out the baddies.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
For those who think being in the cloud protects you. Like Sony did.

www.pcworld.com...

Now Dropbox's management is accused of trying to kill an intriguing open source project that turns the cloud storage service into a file sharing network.

Dropship makes use of an interesting feature of Dropbox uncovered by a hacker last month. Rather than waste storage space and bandwidth duplicating the same file uploaded by many users (for example, a popular PDF such as a tax form), the Dropbox server simply places a single copy in a public pool on the server and links to it from each Dropbox account--even if the file has a different name. All this is done invisibly, and for each user it appears as if the file is contained in their own personal Dropbox (even if it's stored in a private rather than public folder).

The system uses checksum hashes--a long series of hexadecimal characters--to identify the duplicated file. Hackers discovered that, by supplying the hash at the right moment during a phony file upload, they can magically make the duplicated file in question appear in their Dropbox folder.

In other words, files can be instantly shared between Dropbox cloud storage without the need to either download and upload them first.

So do you really think your files stored online to some site some where is safe when all somebody needs is a hash to download it. If the file is a one of a kind you might be safe, but when its an item you sale and the hash is known anybody can download it simply by knowing the hash.

Makes yo wonder why Sonys cloud is down. Amazons cloud was down. Because the cloud is not security its a smoke screen and the secret to get what you want is a simple hash.
edit on 27-4-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkofCain

Thanks for the story "bro".

So these Anonymous members are called crackers then. My original question still stands, How are these Anonymous memners "fighting the good fight"? as another member stated?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Before the anon debacle the majority of sony consumers were unaware of any possible breach.Sony kept things quiet and as long as the games are up no one cares.They lied to us demanding we put sensitive info over an un secure network knowing it was.It could be said anon helped expose this and that is a good thing.I liked sony and still do but they put US the consumer at risk to get back on top.This I can not overlook.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by thatonedude

Before the anon debacle the majority of sony consumers were unaware of any possible breach.Sony kept things quiet and as long as the games are up no one cares.They lied to us demanding we put sensitive info over an un secure network knowing it was.It could be said anon helped expose this and that is a good thing.I liked sony and still do but they put US the consumer at risk to get back on top.This I can not overlook.

I get what you're saying, they may have exposed Sony's dodgy behaviour, but these groups of "hackers" or "crackers", whatever you want to call them, are the ones that are stealing our personal information and causing all this drama.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I understand your view but please understand all 'hackers' and 'crackers' are not anon.If you understand Anon you will understand that.Unless an anon op says do it anon isn't responsible.And they didn't say do it so anyone that ran script on psn did it on their own.I mostly use pc for gaming on the rare occasion I can't emulate a console game I want to play I will buy it.Such was the case for Mortal Kombat and right now it's a coaster for my chocolate milk.I am pissed as well but if you swat a bee hive why would you not expect to be stung?And why would you get mad at the bee's?The consumer's are the 'hackers' and they are pissed.What would make a gamer mad enough to boycott their beloved ps3 and run loic script without any kind of order ?That is the question you should ask.

edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: clarification

Sony stuck their penises in a hornets nest and they got stung.SHOCKING
edit on 28-4-2011 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dantanna

Item

Anonymous hackers: Police arrest 25 in four countries
www.bbc.co.uk...

Police in Latin America and Europe have arrested 25 suspected members of the Anonymous hacking group, according to Interpol.

The authorities in Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Spain carried out the arrests and seized 250 items of IT equipment and mobile phones, Interpol says.

Those arrested are aged between 17 and 40.
www.bbc.co.uk...

<< 5  6  7   >>

join