It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook: Where Narcissists Connect (and how it isn't healthy)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by seaside sky
Glad I'm not the only one in the world who doesn't like the facebook craze. I refused to join right from the start as I didn't like the idea of people cruising around looking up people from the past, and I also thought it very creepy that people would try to "friend" you and then you'd have to either refuse them or "defriend" them- this is not at all like real-world relationships.

So I never joined, and I'm glad I didn't- I know a few people who did and have since regretted it.

I have a few friends who don't live near me, but to stay in touch we just do regular e-mails and actually even send each other letters and things through the mail. It's so old-fashioned, but I like it.

There have been a lot of stories coming out now that facebook can and is being used for some pretty sinister purposes, and that facebook itself might have been created for just those purposes.

A friend and I was discussing this yesterday....and she never joined either.

We talked about how it creates turmoil (a person you know not accepting your request, spouses whose FB activity is monitored and scrutinized, and the anger and despair people feel when their 'friends' don't 'like' or comment on their status' and posts)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RainboStar

I made a page too, after much nagging from my friends. (I live very far from where I grew up, and time zones make it harder to call and keep in touch.)

I HATE "Mebook." I have even really started to dislike some of my friends because of it. Narcissism is too nice a term. Not only is everything "me me me" but you really get to see how stupid and shallow and self centered their thinking is too.

Granted, its only making me dislike old friends from school, not friends I have made as an adult, but holy christ people are stupid and self absorbed. Some of the social crap on ATS leans in that direction too, but at least here you can avoid it and just stick to topic driven areas.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by coquine

Dont feel bad. For people who live far away from friends and family it does serve a purpose. Im keeping my page for that reason too, even though I really hate 98% of all crap on it.

I like being able to quickly let important people know whats up, and here what they are up to. But so many people use it for narcissistic reasons, unfortunately, the stuff I care about get buried in "hey Im picking my nose" minute by minute type of posts that who the heck really cares about.

Maybe your family and friends are just more normal than the people from my hometown. I dont know.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and alllllll! other wedsites that are like those, are Made to get PEOPLE more Computerized, Illuminati want People to have Personalities that are Robots, cause back in NATURE itself they are Stuck up people, they can't communicate for nothing, they rather talk to the ones they know, and not meet new people

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join