It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook: Where Narcissists Connect (and how it isn't healthy)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

100% right. If I want to know what someone I know or care about is doing I will either ring them, email them direct or go out drinking with them. Twitter is worse for this though! Social media stuff like this is great for celebrities or other "Money making" networking purposes. If someone is doing it for fun well .......

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Love the FB debate!
(I got my Bach of Sci in Psychology/Pre-Med; Minor in Philosophy...So yeah! This is right up my alley!)

Overall, I actually like FB.

I use it to keep in touch with friends- having lived all over the country and in Europe, I (literally) have friends all over the world, and FB serves as a very efficient means for me to maintain these relationships.

I also use it for networking/promoting.
I've gotten some pretty big gigs b/c of FB invitations; some amazing opportunities b/c a friend/acquaintance posted info for an audition/event as their status update (that I never would have know about had it not been for this!)

I admit that I have had, like most everyone, my 'FB stalker' moments; but they've been few and far between,
and I take FB socializing with a grain of salt.
Most people (myself included) are simply presenting their 'best self'-
I do it intentionally b/c, as mentioned before, I use FB for networking/promoting/work opportunities, so I don't get very personal (or allow others to post personal/intimate info about me).

*Just as a side note- I log-on to FB, on average, 3-4 times a week.

And as with pretty much everything else,
it's all about moderation,
and maintaining a balanced perspective.

All of that said,
there are undoubtedly many people who become obsessed, and/or allow FB interactions to govern their REAL lives.
(I'm just glad FB wasn't around when I was a teenager!!! LOL)

edit on 25-4-2011 by ltinycdancerg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'd like to say this about 'staying connected to friends'...

The term 'friend' is so casually thrown around on SNS's (Social Network Sites) as most of these people are seriously, just people you know. People you met briefly. There is a paranoid desire be able to chat with every freaking person you ever met in your entire life. You really need to stay 'connected' to them?

Sometimes you don't even know the friends, as they are mere 'friends of friends'.

What I'm saying is that SNS's and the use of the term 'friend' has desensitized us to feeling that casual strangers can hold that position in our lives....Kinda like how the dating reality shows desensitized us about sleeping around and being intimate with mulitiple people at the same time.

It can prevent the ability to maintain physical, real-world relationships, in a way.

I have noticed where FB heavy users seem to transcend their inner narcissism to real life, where they began to speak that way and ignore the people that they are in conversation with. (Can you imagine what its like to overhear two FB'ers chat???)

Their emails and text messages come across that way.

It's f---- you, comment on what THEY just said.

They even get upset when a beloved 'friend' doesn't comment or like something
(Like I said, I got caught up in that)

Major announcements are made for the world, not personable like they used to.

For example,I had TWO brothers to get married, and do they call or even text? NO....but the FB got the announcements and pics.

And when I heard of the news stories that people's houses were being broken into because THEY HAD ANNOUNCED TO MILLIONS OF STRANGERS their wherabouts every ticking second, i could not sympathize at all.

May as well post the alarm code on there too.

edit on 25-4-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by BadPenny

Sounds very interesting!!

Wrong link posted but I'm looking for it...If anyone has a link to the official movie, Please Post!

I really want to watch it

Update!

I'm about to watch it..i downloaded it on utorrent
edit on 25-4-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For friends and family its a good online way to communicate and get in touch, that is ignoring all the cia and spyware stuff and the viral aspects.

In addition people use it to promote their own sites and causes.

Ordinary encounter some truth about the world through that network too.

So I have no problems with it, and not even with the wolves monitoring, as I feel they need to know people will not ever accept fascism and they need to seek amnesty.

Narcissim, I keep encountering this term Its nonsense. Mostly outgoing people doing what they normally do, network. Most people are outgoing and all the petty words that are used to put normal human personalities and activities down, know no bounds. You can certainly these article was written by controllers who don't like humans.

edit on 25-4-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Those who are born into the 'facebook' era will take it to another level. The entire structure of civilization is changing. We are moving from a collection of individuals, to something like a multi-cellular organism.

We will make this transition by restricting the behavior of individuals. Although this is a negative for individual freedom, it will allow the civilization as a whole to break down even more energy than we do now because our energy burns will be controlled in a way similar to mitochondria.

The below article discusses all of the remarkable scientific data that is being analyzed right now. This data is more than the sum of the individual data sets i speculate.

"It is not just about observing what is happening; it is about shaping what is happening," said Dr. Bollen. "The patterns are allowing us to learn how to better manipulate trends, opinions and mass psychology."
online.wsj.com...

edit on 25-4-2011 by GalacticJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I apologize....I reread your post and still cannot understand it.

No offense

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Again, the same can be said in real life. Most people you meet and consider friends are just acquantainces, few people have more than a dozen real friends or so, if they're lucky, in their lifetimes. But I do know all of the thousands of people, I've partied hard with most of them and will do so again with most of them.

One of my really good friends was diagnosed with Lung Cancer, he was brave enough to post it up on Facebook. Now since we found all found out at the same time we discussed it during our last party and were able to brainstorm on what to do, which will be to record an album and send all the donations to him, as well as the profits we'll be getting from the benefit concerts and shirt sales.

Facebook will help organize all these events, it will reunite all of that gang together, which is about three to four hundred people which used to hang out together at that time in our lives. It'll help us inform people on the Album and for the benefit concert.

I hope that right now, you do see the benefit of Facebook. It's not all good, it does feed narcissism but who cares? The benefits definitely outweight, by far, all what you've been complaining about. If I had any advice for you and everyone else, that would be stop complaining and use it to your advantage.

edit on 25-4-2011 by Cocasinpry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

WHOA!!!

I just finished watching this vid. EVERYONE should see it.

You THINK you have over 500 friends......

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I also think there are more advantages to facebook then disadvantages!
Of course, it is the cheapest way the elite can have to spy on everyone but I think it's great for me. I make music and it's a decent way to promote and more friends is always good because you never know what contacts can do. They can help you find a better job, learn new people, go to an event where you can meet contacts.

Other then my new songs, political, social or conspiracy messages...I don't post on my wall. Of course it's easier to get comments on stupid useless stuff then what really matters, but I do have a couple of good intelligent friends that comment, support or disprove...all which is good, it's better to talk about it then nothing!

I changed my profile picture 1 times since I have facebook, so...4-5 years lol

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by User8911

I'm with you. Plus -- I never worry overmuch about the NSA or CIA spying on me over here or at FB. Frankly, nothing I have to say is all that interesting in the national security sense. I talk about music, art, writing, creativity and entrepreneurship.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good conspiracy theory; it's why I signed up here after all. I just don't take them any more seriously then I would an episode of Chuck on TV.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
All intelligent conversation is not 'conspiracy theory; (as most FB posters speculate)

Everything that is not 'like the others" is not conspiracy theory....

You can't even ask FB'ers what do they think of Wikileaks, Egypt uprising, or the uptick in Earthquakes...

Regular news that intelligent people can speak on...

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The Old, Old Story

Back in the late eighteenth century, when novels were first becoming popular, numerous self-appointed authorities warned that the reading of them would predispose young people, especially young ladies, to all kinds of physical and moral debilities.

The same guardians of public health and morals, or rather their intellectual successors, again leapt up to warn us of the physical and spiritual dangers of gramophone records, the radio, television, video games and of course the internet. Doubtless there were those who inveighed against eight-track cartridge tape, too, but they have been forgotten along with the medium they so hated and feared.

And now it’s social-networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.

I think such fears arise from the fact that these inventions of ours change the way we behave, and therefore, in a sense, change us. That alone is enough for people of conservative outlook – that is, people who are uncomfortable with and fearful of change – to regard them negatively.

In fact, they are dangerous only to a mentally disturbed few, who would probably have gone off the rails without them anyway.

The OP article is, frankly, not very convincing. The research on which it is based seems sloppy and publicity-seeking. And it seems from the quotes at the end of it that the researchers’ colleagues are pretty sceptical, too.

I think there are far bigger things in the world to worry about than Facebook-promoted narcissism.

reply to post by Mactire

No one really needs to know you're at Bed Bath & Beyond, and they're out of towels.

I imagine that information would be quite useful to someone planning to check in at the same hostelry, don’t you?

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
WHOA!!!

I just finished watching this vid. EVERYONE should see it.

You THINK you have over 500 friends......

It's good, isn't it? Angela is quite extraordinary, her self-control is alarming though, how she remains so composed is beyond me. I would have liked to have seen a little more probing as to the 'whys'.

I think like everything, facebook can be misused and used to present a distorted image, or rather an image that you feel will be more attractive to others, depending upon the others that you are wishing to attract. I would suspect that all sorts of human predators use facebook and other internet social sites to pretend to be something that they are not. I imagine also, that there are as many lonely people on the internet as there are in the real world. The internet brings the two groups, I suppose, more easily together. For better or worse.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Yep...I just knew she was gonna break down or freak out, but like you said she kept her composure.

I almost got confused at the end; it said that there was no Megan at all, so she must've been a made up person all together and that Angela did not have cancer....

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Calling conversation "intelligent" doesn't make it so. That's just marketing. For example: The so called "uptick" in Earthquakes....

United States Geological Survey:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The number and severity of earthquakes, on a yearly basis, has remained remarkably consistent over the last 100 years.
edit on 26-4-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Honestly, i was just listing an example...

something other than "Bout to go on my lunch break...Starving!!!"

14 likes
38 Comments

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Facebook is a tool. It's just like a phone, or IM or e-mail or a face to face conversation. You get out of it what you and your "friends" put into it.

I know people who have facebook or my space "issues". They usually are the same people who have "Issues" with many other facets of their lives.

I call bull puckey.

If a person doesn't have the sense to communicate with a few friends and interact with simple words online then they likely have deeper issues to deal with beyond a social networking site.
edit on 26-4-2011 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

That's cute.

But ultimately a cop-out.

7 Flags

41 Stars

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The coincidence, i just deactivated my FB account today, felt as a relief already.Then i revisted ATS [not as much as in the old days] and came across this thread. It was actually because my FB account was hacked, i use the same passwords for most sites, the account sent stupid ads and commercials to all my contacts on behalf of my name..
But yes i also got fed up with the "incontinence" of people feeling the need to discuss every fart on the i-net, and yes the narcissism although i must say the stars and flags here facilitate that as well, the difference is, people really need to come up with a good and refined story over here to earn those..
It seems with the reality tv [Jersey's shore etc] and social media on the internet, it really seems this is the age of everbody being able to feel like a star/in the spotlight without actually having a clue and real baggage....
edit on 26-4-2011 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join