It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOOD Police Videos/stories

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I read this a long time ago.This is from a RETIRED police officer. I found this to be so true.

Law Enforcement is a demanding profession requiring complete accountability and transparency in order for it’s practitioners to achieve their best.

It is always important to celebrate and reward effective and ethical law enforcement performance.

It is equally important, if not more so, to hold law enforcement officers and government officials accountable when police performance lacks integrity and professionalism.

Link

A good story here. Was helped by officers getting my children out of a custody problem. I thanked them for doing their Job,they were supposed to do.That I pay them to do.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't often come into contact with police. But when I do, I've noticed that as long as I'm nice, they are the same to me.

I mean, I've come across police with short tempers before... but they probably had a long day.

I remember coming out of the bar after a few drinks with friends and noticing that a cop car with all the lights flashing was blocking my car from pulling out of the parking space. He was dealing with some drunk people and just randomly happened to park his car behind mine. At first, I panicked. I had to go up to him and ask him to move his car, but I didn't want to seem like I was rushing him, nor did I want him to jump on the fact that I had just walked out of a bar.
But my friends needed to get home, so I had to go up to him. I walked up to my car and standing a few feet from the cop, I said, "Excuse me, officer. I'm so sorry... but this is my car and I have to drive my friends home." Of course, I'm a rambler, so I kept going, "It's okay, I see you're busy. So whenever you have a chance." Then I smiled and we all filed into my car.
Of course my friends advised me to not put the keys in the ignition, just in case. But... after less than a minute... The flashing lights were turned off and the cop moved his car a few feet to allow me to get out. And I was incredibly surprised. (If anything, I was surprised that I was surprised... haha) But I came to the conclusion: He had better things to do than to harass me for coming out of a bar and driving home.

The one instance I've had where a police officer was mildly rude (and that is literally it... just mildly rude)... was when they failed to catch a man who threatened the lives of my friends and I. This is a rather interesting story:

I was over a friends house with a few other people. My friend's neighbor (who occasionally comes by to hang out with us) came into the door looking slightly disturbed. Literally 2 minutes later there is a knock at the door. We all look at each other confused because we are not expecting anyone. My friend gets up to check the door, and there is a strange guy there who asks, "Who owns the black Honda civic?"
My friend was confused, since none of us own a black Honda civic (except his neighbor... who would have parked his car in his own driveway). So my friend's first response is, "I don't know... none of us do."
Ridiculously... the neighbor had parked his car in my friend's driveway. But we had no way of knowing that. The neighbor (who's 36) should have stood up and said, "That's my car" But he didn't.
Anyway, the guy at the front door starts kicking the door down and screaming that he's going to kill every one of us when he gets in. We all flock to the back door, ready to bolt if the guy breaks down the front door (while my boyfriend, who was the biggest one of us, dealt with the crazy guy at the front). All of a sudden, the guy gets into the house. By this time we had been on the phone with the police for the past 3 minutes. The dispatcher can hear us screaming and this guy pounding down the door. And yet the cops still hadn't arrived. This is a very small town... it takes 8 minutes maximum to cross town, and the police station was less than 1 minute away. We were starting to get a little disturbed that the police hadn't arrived yet. The guy was in the house and pushed my boyfriend into the wall.... he made it all the way into the kitchen before we heard the sirens. When he realized the cops were almost here, he told us he'd be coming back later, then he bolted from the house... and got away. Yes. This guy got away, and my friend lives on a dead-end cul-de-sac. *sigh*
The problem was that one of the officers was irritated with us. We just had our lives threatened, and this officer was pissed off that we wasted his time since the perp had already bolted from the scene. Luckily he wasn't the only officer on the scene and one of the other ones told us that he would be patrolling the area for the rest of the night in case the guy returned like he said he would. After all, we didn't feel safe after what had happened. And this one rude officer was annoyed with us for it. Luckily the other officer helped to put our worries at ease. Either way, my friend still had to end up staying up all night guarding his house.

For those who are curious about what on earth this guy wanted with the neighbor... apparently, the neighbor (the owner of the black Honda civic) had cut this guy off on the main road after exiting the highway. The guy followed him home... which was why the neighbor parked his car in my friends driveway instead of his. Incredibly lame on the neighbor's part.
Lucky for us, or rather, lucky for my friend, the guy never returned. But... he sure as hell scared the crap out of us. It's just interesting that my friend's 36-year-old neighbor couldn't behave like an adult, and us (at the time, I was 21, and my friend was 25) had to call the police and guard the door and handle the situation.

But yeah... in conclusion: I hear tons of stories of police being bad... but I haven't met a "bad" police officer. I'm still on my guard though, because who knows when I will run into a bad one. But I would rather assume that they are all good people.

Just as a side note... I don't agree with the initial "rule" set up by the OP... I mean, since this thread is about good police stories and we aren't allowed to post anything else because it would be off topic... Does that mean that I could also post a thread strictly about how all religious people are evil and anyone who says otherwise would be chastised? Or how about a thread about how all the world leaders are reptiles and anyone who says otherwise gets censored? Maybe I'm missing the appropriateness of this... but it seems a little bit... ridiculous and against freedom of speech.
But that's all I'll say on that.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

edit on 24-4-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
[snip]

Good Cops?
Yea, there are good cops. They just arent cops yet. They still have to be trained by cops that dont abuse their powers.

Living in Las Vegas, and dealing with MANY MANY officers in different circumstances, I can tell you from my perspective... out of 5 cops sitting at a table eating breakfast, there will only be one who doesnt engage in the "Did you see me taze that guy in the face? Priceless".

Really, you should hear some of the conversations these guys have when their "squad" is all together. Hear them gloating about beating people down and abusing their powers.
That "one" cop would always look at me as if he was saying "Im sorry".
So I think your percentage of good/bad is way off.

In all reality.. Id say 4 bad to 1 good.

Good cop story= The cop kept driving past me instead of pulling me over.
edit on 24-4-2011 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by elevatedone because: Removed Off Topic Commentary.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I agree with jam. I think the bad apples need to be picked from the good in every deptartment and let the good seed florish so to speak.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have the best cop story, EVER.

I was at a triple kegger out in the middle of nowhere. To make a long story short, I got piss drunk and angry at one of my friends. We got into it, and I was so wasted I thought I could walk home. It was about a 30-35 minute car ride from there to my house, and there were woods in all directions that I could see. I got lost.

After stumbling along the back road for a while, I came across a house. I knocked on the door and asked the people who answered for directions. Mind you, it was like 3 a.m. at this point. They were really freaked out about it, but they pointed me in the right direction.

After stumbling around in the direction they told me to go, i came upon a few intersections, and was looking around trying to figure out which way i should go-when I saw a police cruiser pull up at the intersection behind me. I caught his attention, and ran up to the car.

He got out of the car, and I explained what was going on. I told him that I was completely wasted.

He said he had received a call from someone who said some drunk guy came to their house asking for directions. I kinda smiled and told him that was definitely me.

"Do you have any weapons, drugs, or other paraphernalia?"

"No sir. You can search me if you want to."

He did that, and didn't find anything. He took me down to the station, but he didn't arrest me. Instead, he called me a cab. While we were waiting for the cab, he was asking me about myself..i told him I played in a band, and he told me that he used to as well. We talked about music for a while...shared band stories and whatnot..the cab took a minute to get there.

I got home and found out the next day-after apologizing to my friends for being an idiot-that the people who lived in the house i knocked at were actually the aunt and uncle of the people throwing the keg party.

I had to pay for the cab ride home, which was a nice chunk of change, but I never got charged with anything. A year or two went by, and the same cop stopped in to the restaurant I work at, off duty, with a couple friends.

Him: "Hey man, do you remember me?"

Me: "Ummm....no, I'm sorry I don't recognize you."

Him: "I'm that cop that didn't arrest you while you were stumbling around the woods in Ohio!"

Me: "Holy **** man, I'm sorry I didn't recognize you. You really saved the day."

Him: "Yeah, well I got in a lot of trouble for not giving you a citation."

I felt bad about that and told him I'd buy him his dinner, but he declined.

There are definitely good cops out there.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Well, to be honest, I don't have any real good stories when it comes to cops in uniforms. All the times I have ever crossed paths with a cop on the clock, it has never really been a positive experience, and that includes seeing them at the gas station. Try to be nice and smile and say hello, get looked at like I have 4 heads or something. The experience is the same in the US and canada thus far.

Out of uniform, I think I know a good RCMP. He is not exactly what I would call a friend, but I drink and have some fun with him at the club now and again. I thought he was full of it being a cop, until one time I went back to his house with a few people and seen his uniform badge and gun. He says he does not bust people for victimless crimes only. He has no problem say, charging someone with a drug charge, on top of a vicious assault or murder etc. He seems genuine and honest to me. I would hope there are others like him out there.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

You sound like you need to be aware of how the police operate. If they have a lot of calls, the calls that don't demand immeidiate attention are shuffled to the bottom of the list. You didn't state whether or not you were in a life threatening situation, so I can only presume you weren't, which got you shuffled. A brick thrown through your window as opposed to some guy running around with a knife or a gun just has a low priority.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

Mods please don't remove as this is a civilized conversation.

I live in a place called the old war zone in new mexico, we have a lot of violent crime and even more DUI. the police in my neighborhood at least are really busy with violent crime, so much so there is hardly time for anything else. the police here keep us safe from serious crimes but have trouble with the little stuff. I have never heard of a officer in my neighborhood going to a noise complaint because they are usually to busy with something very serious. we don't mind that they would not show up in the same day to a property damage call because they are honestly and noticeably making it safer for us, it use to be we could not walk at night, now we can go out at night and not worry about a car pulling up behind us driving slow. this is all just for my neighborhood though, i don't know what its like in other parts of town. It could very well be that the police in your story thought it was a party with drugs. But i am glad that when someone did throw a brick through your window you and your family are ok. there is never a need for violence like that. and i am sorry the police are a bit misguided where you live.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I don’t have a video, but it’s a good short story.

A Arizona State Police Officer Paid for my gas.

My car was running out gas, there is no way I would make to the next town, The next town was 40 miles in the next state. It’s 2:AM in the morning, only one gas station open. They only take cash, no credit card or checks. ,(strange huh ) the clerk refused my check, said “no way, you will scam me.” I was very polite when speaking to this clerk at this Cheveron station. The clerk was clearly not in his right mind to say the least. The clerk calls the state police telling them this made up story about me, (stealing gas was the made up story this clerk gave the police over the phone). I could not leave because I would run out of gas on the freeway and look guilty, So I stayed. The Arizona state police arrive on the scene. First thing the officer tells me. “The chevron station clerk every now and then calls us and makes up stories about Customers robbing him or stealing from him, but we have to check out every call. I know you did not steal any gas because the pumps are locked electronically. “ Anyway,The officer said they did not have any ATM’s in that town, I was out luck (strange, no ATMs) So he said” I’ll give the clerk 5 bucks and you can write me a check” The officer did mention to me. This better clear. I thanked the officer then pumped the gas. I was on my way home again Thanks to the Arizona State Police.

This happened about 15 years ago;much has changed with law enforcement officers since then.

The lessons: Never buy a mussel car in Las Vegas that sucks gas down like no tomorrow. Never use a Chevron station.

edit on 25-4-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2011 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

A citizen and subject are no different.

edit: and OT, peace officers are a mixed bag, many are good at heart.
I have personally put 4 on their oath and had discussions about law and other matters with no problems, they definately have black humour to get by in their job though

edit on 25/4/11 by GhostR1der because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I liked the first video. Just goes to show that not all cops are what you'd expect to be from other people's perspectives. At least the cop's telling them their rights instead to suppressing them. I wanna give him a hug (no homo).

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Attention

There have already been a number of Mod requests for people to stick to the topic...yet people seem to find that a near impossibility.

Heres an idea - if you don't like the topic then move on.

Postbans are next.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Just a reminder for those that seem to have missed it. The OP specifically stated:

The purpose of this thread is to focus on the GOOD THINGS Cops do. If you have a story, or find a story or video, please share it.

Therefore, posts that are not on that topic are being removed. There is no favoritism, or Mod agenda in this thread. There is a topic, and everyone is expected to stay on that topic. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please heed the Mod Warnings already posted multiple times.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join