It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animated Avatar Backgrounds - Yes or No?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

The BB & Q Forum is not to contest or complain about site policy, rules or specific staff action. Nor is it the venue for identifying those that you feel should be sanctioned as you feel you have... In general or specific terms...

because I don't see how the Drama Monkey comment fits into the description of the Board either. We can throw stones all day back and forth Ace...or...we can drop it, and move on. I have all night.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I can pop a B12 now...let me know

2nd

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Uh oh, time to remove the special hall monitor badge.

You're fired.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

ETA: may be a record
edit on 4/23/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
because I don't see how the Drama Monkey comment fits into the description of the Board either. We can throw stones all day back and forth Ace...or...we can drop it, and move on. I have all night.

I will count you as far too new a member to "get it," but as your vitriolic attempts at internet "gotcha" demonstrate, the prospect of grasping the "ATS pebble" is remote...

The name is Mirthful Me, Mirth, MM, Monkey Man, The Simian, or should the need dictate, Poo Flinger Extraordinaire... "Ace" doesn't figure into the lexicon of monikers ascribed to me...

Grasshopper Monkeys, not just for snatching the pebble from ATS' hand anymore...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Please see the following reply...

2nd
edit on 4/23/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

I will count you as far too new a member to "get it,"

I'd like to comment on this. This is an entirely factual statement in that you're absolutely correct in that I have had (to my knowledge) zero interaction with you and therefore do not "get" you one iota. In addition, why you decided to chime in with your 2 cents on the thread after Springer clearly stated what needed to be stated I don't "get" either.

However, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and learn what little I could about you via your ATS profile and since you're doubting my "poo throwing" abilities as it were, a few things stick out that I feel are valid points towards your "lexicon of moniker"-ship as you so eloquently put it.

Topics I Dislike:
ATS Drama

Could have fooled me because this is still going, you could have just as easily dropped it, but the "Ace" comment got to you and I don't think you have the ability to not have the last word. I can relate.

I really despise copy & paste content...
A lot...

Fair enough, and I can't say I haven't done this plenty, but I generally add my opinion to the content. However, if Monkeys ruled ATS, more so the Monkey in question, this site would be very limited. From what I have read a vast majority of the content on this site originates from an outside source. In my limited experience here, topics are posted in an attempt to gain an ATS perspective and/or opinion of said outside content by the OP posting said content. Thankfully, you are just one of a great bunch of staff so I feel assured that not everyone shares your same view.

As for your interest in the Planet of the Apes scene. I am not sure if you're just a HUGE fan, or, if this is actually how you class people in general. If you're just a fan then I really have no comment. If it is the latter, and whether you do or do not pool yourself into that category, I personally think you're selling not only yourself short, but a good number of intelligent human beings along with it.

Last possible scenario is that this is just a mere persona backed by a whimsical air of a notion that we are all just apes in some fashion. However, you seemingly have become so enveloped in that, that you forget the people you interact with are rational functioning people who aren't going to relate to your whimsical Monkey references. Your interests, aside from champagne, escape me as to what they are, I am sure I could look it all up, but the gumption is not there at this stage. Other than that you don't give much to work with on your profile other than Monkey and "poo" references so I am pretty much just shooting in the dark here.

I can say this with assurance. I have been on this Earth for 37 years, which by your DOB is only 9 yrs 8.5 +/- months your junior. However, I have lived enough life and have had enough interaction with people to recognize someone with an apparent inflated ego. I have been a moderator on a site very similar to this one in nature, albeit the membership base was not what ATS is as far as quantity, the position and authority was the same so i have more in common with you than what you may be aware of.

Mind you this has all been my own opinion and with that, I truly think you are one of the "ones" that has let this site go to their head. There is a difference in being dedicated to your position of authority and abusing the position of authority that is granted to you. Again, luckily, you are only one of many great Staff and Admin on this site.

On topic, and to prevent this post from being "caution signed" for off-topic rhetoric. I plan to revise my avatar to include the animation as a layer therefore eliminating the need for a background image all together as animated avatars are approved. You see, when I am met with a road block, I was taught to adapt and overcome that obstacle to which blocks me. In the same respect, I plan to do the same with you. From what I have interacted with you today, I can say with the utmost assurance that I will not devote anymore of my valuable time to you because I don't feel that we could ever be on the same level. Whether you feel your level is above mine or not, the same applies

For me, this ends here. Good evening to you all the same, and be safe in your travels and future endeavors.

Respectfully,
Uberl33t

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Thus proving my point beyond my own genetically constrained capacity...Your eloquence borne of dwelling upon the inane and fatuous transcends my ignoble intellectual bounds...

You sir, have won the day...

Please claim your prize at the door...

Bert Parks Monkeys, not just for singing "there she is" anymore...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
You sir, have won the day...

Please claim your prize at the door...

Bert Parks Monkeys, not just for singing "there she is" anymore...

What exactly would that prize be?

Facade Monkeys, not just for climbing walls anymore...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

No prize necessary, if I do get to pick one however, it would be a shiny truce.

On that note, I hope we get more opportunities to interact with one another.

Be safe in your travels Mirth.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Originally posted by UberL33t
So again, this whole thing imo got blown way out of proportion.

The moment you decided to start a public thread instead of utilizing the complaint function and contact the staff directly.

Drama Monkeys, not just for being queen sized anymore...

What a rude response. Did it ever occur to you that the OP is not the only one who might be interested in simply knowing "Why?" That is what is being avoided, non stop, is the answer to "why?" Drama raises along with frustration when a simple question is repeatedly sidestepped.

I would also like to know that answer. By the way, "cuz SO says so" isn't an answer, its the same sidestep. If there is a rationale that makes sense quit playing games and spill the beans; otherwise we should assume its just somebody's fancy.
edit on 4/24/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

It was answered for the most part, in that it is an eyesore. However, being that animated avatars are approved to use it does not hinder me from incorporating it into the avatar image itself. By having it as the bg, in effect, was the easy approach to get the affect I was seeking.

By being made privy to that info I can now adjust the image accordingly and still maintain the desired affect. No biggie, and the "Drama" as it were, has been rectified, I personally don't see any more reason to bring it up in this thread as it is technically off-topic. Thank you for your input none the less.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Exaggerate much? I haven't seen an animated background in forever, avatars, sure, but not backgrounds... Of course I could have missed the few there are, but, considering I am on the site 7 days a week, I know they aren't "all over the place".

Start alerting them to the staff as has already been suggested.

We don't want huge swimming images all over the left side of content pages, it is distracting and many of them are horrid on the eyes. Nor do we have the desire to "approve" one member's and "disapprove" another's, the time wasted from the drama that will ensue is not time well spent.

Springer...

I appreciate you guys for not allowing the animated stuff. I have astigmatism and flashing and swirling animation makes me feel dizzy. I just can't look at it. I don't see much of them around anymore. Now, too bad you can't do something about some of the ones that are just, well, in bad taste,

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

The issue of eyesore applies equally to avatars so that is no reason in my mind. If that were the real issue why allow them at all.

I just came across a poster who has both the avatar and background animated. As it so happens neither is irritating; at least to me.

see here: animated bg and avatar

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I see them too on occasion, but I am choosing not to report them. I don't feel it is my position to do so, respectively of course. My goal here wasn't to be a tattle tale, or otherwise stomp my feet in a pouted fashion because someone else gets to have something I don't. I think that somehow got misconstrued along the way. However, the principle still applies imo but I don't make the rules.

What I will do however is send that user a kind U2U informing them, with the motivation being maybe they'll change it before they have to get the dreaded Mod U2U, by dreaded I simply mean any U2U from a Mod is not usually good unless it is an applause. The rest will be up to that individual member to decide.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'd leave it if I were you. Ever hear of "shoot the messenger"?

Personally I wouldn't lift even my pinky finger to help the owners on this one. It is a rule that still makes no sense to me and if it doesn't make sense, then get rid of it.

Its a personal thing with me. I drove my parents crazy. Whenever they wanted me to do something I always needed to know the "why?" behind it. Bosses rarely appreciated me asking "why?" or demanding a rationale that made sense; instead of just doing whatever was asked. Ass-kissing is right up there at the top of the pile of things I hate the most, and it shows.
Can't help myself.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I understand wholeheartedly, in the same respect and through my years I have also discovered that I will get wayyy more flies with honey than I will with vinegar. Although, part of me wonders how this saying evolved. I can see if one were a spider lol, none the less, the moral prevails in most situations. I have been victim of being the messenger more than once. I have a pretty tough exterior I'm not worried
. The member can choose to respond to the message about the avatar as they see fit.

On a side note, something else I have noticed, for some reason I, as of just recently, have this inept ability to hit the Shift key when I am typing an "i". I have to go back and fix them all, pardon the randomness of that but... and I say "i" a lot I notice, I don't know...weird.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm just a reader/follower of ATS stuff, but animated avatars MIGHT be cute the first time you see them but then they are just annoying the next 1-infinity times you see them.

The site should forbid/discourage all animation on avatars period.

Link to a animated pic if you are so proud and have to, I don't really want to see it over and over again, once is more than enough.

The focus should be on content not your b.s avatar.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sooooo...

I'm guessing my avatar is o.k. then?

someone let me know if it's not..(mod)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mimer

The focus should be on content not your b.s avatar.

I believe it is ATS's way of allowing for an individualistic persona. A user name can speak volumes, but allowing an avatar for an added bit of expressionism is imo not "b.s" by any means. For me, as I am scrolling through threads & such, the avatar of certain members have become more or less a beacon of sorts making it easier to recognize their individual posts. Not that I am by-passing posts otherwise because they don't have a fancy avatar. However, the content of certain posters are amazing, and by recognizing their avatar, I am sure to not miss their post.

The individualism, expressionism, and overall effort that some members put into their avatars as well is something that should not be passed off as "b.s" either. A lot of effort has gone into some of these avatars. Being somewhat presumptuous perhaps, but I am sure even SO as well as the majority of the staff and membership would agree with that statement. It's a form of art in more ways than one.

So pardon me, but I do not agree with your view, though you are absolutely entitled to it.

Respectfully,
UberL33t
edit on 4/24/2011 by UberL33t because:

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join