It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss the Psychological Impact of Existence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
We exist in a physical world where we as the observer of this world must undergo a process of sensory perception that is fundamentally flawed and limited; yet through amazing powers of evolution and unknown luck, we possess a brain that takes in sensory data and renders out an experience of "Reality" based on a sensory model.

This mind-generated output from sensory input is the focus of this thread. This is the psychological x-factor of human existence. This is the theater of the mind where you the conscious observer sits and observes what your mind tells you "Reality" is.

Think of it this way. You have a physical body with 5 physical senses that interpret various types of energy in the form of sound waves, light waves, chemicals and tactile wave forms. The slightest vibration on your skin, your mind will render a sensation of a hair and nerve responding in vivid and rich detail.

What you may or may not know, is the rendering that the brain calculates is built on a sophisticated process of information gathering (perception) and information processing ( rendering ) of data that exists within 5 localized states of perception.

From 5 states of perception comes 1 state of observed rendered "reality" which exists solely within the canvas of the mind. Like your computer monitor, where the monitor renders data from the computer. So does your mind render out a perception of reality based on sensory data on some unknown monitor, or screen.

This screen exists entirely within the confines of grey-matter between the brain. It is not a plasma screen TV cut out in perfect squares and depths. Rather it is a spaghetti like pathway of neurons all working in specific form and function by which "Reality" must be rendered into a coherent experience for you the observer.

These very words you are reading right now are rendered on this mind generated computer screen. Obviously this inner screen exists. It is a screen unlike anything we have created technologically to date. Rather, life has in some way, and quite ingeniously I might add, figured out how to take in sensory data of unknown states and make a coherent 3D rendered model from what can best be described as "noise" from the objective world.

This noise is filtered by 5 senses and converted into electrical signals through the nervous system connecting to various parts of the brain which in turn convert this electrical signal into taste, touch, sight, sound and smell. Billions of neurons work out the interpretation of this data and then through the powers of neural information processing calculate and render a simple world-view on a digital like display that exists soley in the brain.

This canvas of the mind has been known to Greek philosophers since Plato discussed the Shadows on the Cave. It has been called the Cartesian Theatre or more recently the Bohmian IMAX (Anthony Peake). A product of raw processing power within the confines of the human brain. This is the stage by which you experience an interpretation of reality.

Let me be clear, what your brain renders on this canvas is 100% interpretation based on sensory input and is subject to flaws, errors and fill-in-the-blank guess work on part of your subconscious. It is the psychological aspect of your reality. What you experience here is what you believe is real. To second guess that what is rendered here is not reality might seem a tad bit crazy.

Now that you are aware of this inner digital display that your mind uses to render a perception based view of reality. Close your eyes to see how powerful the senses are that in just closing your eyes the mind stops rendering visual information on this canvas. Yet, the fact remains. What you see here is what you believe reality is. You can experience it, so it must be real yes?

There is another interesting role that this canvas plays in terms of rendering reality and giving you the observer an experience. Dreams are also rendered on this same canvas. What you perceive in a dream will also be rendered on this canvas. Just like sensory physical reality has become observed, when you dream at night, be it a dim dream, a lucid dream or an out-of-body experience... it will all be rendered on this canvas of the mind.

If both reality and dreams are rendered on this canvas, then this canvas becomes quite important to what we are as the observer of both our dreams and our reality. In the psychological idea, this canvas and what is rendered there is open to how others will deem you sane or crazy.

A psychologist will listen to stories from a deranged mind claiming wild visions and beings talking to them. This person may be schizophrenic and the canvas of their mind is rendering data that simply does not fit what the psychologist deems part of the objective physical world. It may very well be a cross between dream worlds and physical worlds colliding as certain filters are not in check.

Dreams easily create vivid reality like experiences. All of which are virtual reality simulations organized from very complex subconscious thought processes. The dream datastream is vastly different then the objective data stream that feeds our physical senses. Two different sources of information, both rendered on the same psychological canvas of the mind.

When you interact with this canvas and what is rendered on it; have you ever stopped to realize that what you are experiencing is really a product of your mind? That the taste, touch, smell, sight and sounds are all mind-generated calculations rendered into an experience in a way that is similar to how a rendering farm generates a 3D cell within a 3D movie? Yet in our case it has extra data to accommodate sensory inputs.

The entire rendered output in this mental canvas is a mind-generated phenomena. What you experience there is composed entirely from information processing by the brain based on sensory input. The "Reality" that you experience is limited, subjective and different from any other thing that also renders reality from their personally subjective vantage point.

There is no way science can prove that how you see the color red is the same as another person. This is called Qualia, and it is a long disputed argument for the nature of perception and reality. A color blind person does not see the same way as you; yet the reality they experience seems pretty normal to them.

Each lifeform that has to render sensory data into a coherent model must create a psychological bridge between physical reality and the mind-generated view of what that reality must entail. This is what "Reality" is to anything that experiences it.

"Reality" will be percieved differently between each individual subjective observer. Not one observer can truly see the same "Reality" as another ever. Each subjective observer views reality in their own limited and psychological way. What we all experience is a mind-generated idea of what reality might be based on limited sensory data.

Take for instance, flowers. For humans we have a limited range of the visual spectrum that allows us to see color. What we don't see are ultra-violet and infra-red data from the objective world. When we see a flower, the data we render is limited based on our senses so we miss out on additional data that exists in the Ultra-violet spectrum. Insects however do see this data and see entirely different patterns of flowers then we do.

Here is a link to every UV flower image out there. www.naturfotograf.com... so if you think you see everything a flower is... think again. What you see is limited to your perception of reality.

The very model of reality you have is limited to your physical senses and trust me... these senses are very limited compared to what data might actually be out there.

Regardless, what we do have is this psychological model of reality rendered on our internal canvas of the mind. It is this very real mind-generated virtual reality holodeck that tells us what reality is. Should we trust it? I mean, it's very limited. Yet we do as would any lifeform that exists respond to what is rendered there as being fact. An ant for example is also rendering a perception of reality. It knows if you are poking at it with a stick. It will respond according to it's subjective rendering. The relationship here is the ant and you both must render out a perception of reality based on sensory data.

What the ant sees and experiences will be a totally different reality then what you experience. Same reality, but rendered totally differently based on the amazing power of life and how it must interpret reality.

What makes you and the ant the same is the fact both of you are aware of a objective reality and are responding to an internal mind-generated idea of what that reality might be. It is all perception based.

Now that we have covered that, do you think that anything you ever experience is not subject to this sensory based rendering system? The fact is... your reality is entirely composed of mind-generated ideas that is both guess work filled in with limited senses. All you experience is written on a mind-generated canvas. It is all digital information rendered into a 3D view much like a client-server relationship in a computer network works. The client accesses data from a server and renders the data into a view. If more then one computer access the server, each client renders a view of the data. This is how games like World of Warcraft work. The game server sends the client data that must be rendered into a view so the player can interface with the simulated world.

Your body and brain naturally do the same thing except the server is objective reality and you are the client rendering data into a coherent world view on your own inner computer screen of the mind.

Reality is perceived, filtered down and processed into a final rendered product. This final rendered product is the psychological impact of existence. We all are born with it and will die with it. What do you know about it?

edit on 23-4-2011 by YouAreDreaming because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I will not claim to know anything about it.
Have you experimented with sensory deprivation?
I found that my Will can shape my surroundings to the point that I feel 'awakened'.
Through sensory deprivation, I believe that I have actually found another sense.
It is very hard for me to explain, and what I can explain is a bit too personal to express
on this forum. Maybe with time...
As for the title of your thread, the best way for me to gauge the impact of something in abundance is by reducing it greatly.
Thank you for the read btw.
edit on 23-4-2011 by illuminatitanimulli because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-4-2011 by illuminatitanimulli because: Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Well done

This is something alot of people dont want to know or just cant understand.
The reality we live in to me is just the game, the stage , the great play, we are all actors playing our own game for our own entertainment. The experience of our fragment of conscious is integrated into the universal awareness and new stimuli is sent back to our part of the grid to gather more experience.
To me it now comes down to one main question as i play out this part of the never ending game, is am i alone in my world and i am just talking and interacting with myself, or are there other detached conscious entity's existing in this construct.
oh the hard problems of the consciousness...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatitanimulli
I will not claim to know anything about it.
Have you experimented with sensory deprivation?

I did try a sensory deprivation tank a few times but no real noticeable effects.

The most interesting thing I did manage to experience were out-of-body experiences. They were quite the experience.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a fameous quote from someone fameous says that the only thing superior to existence is non-exsistence.

I quite agree and further, I have often thought that if a person has not considered their own life (suicide), then they are not truly alive. perhaps that is too extreme though.

great job, OP.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
a fameous quote from someone fameous says that the only thing superior to existence is non-exsistence.

I quite agree and further, I have often thought that if a person has not considered their own life (suicide), then they are not truly alive. perhaps that is too extreme though.

great job, OP.

It might be a bit extreme, but it`s good to consider what we are, how we exist and even entertain what happens once we cease to exist.

The entire process of our percieved reality and how it takes place is amazing. An outstanding feat of nature and evolution.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Scientists have been telling us for some time that space and time are both an illusion, which makes it even more frustrating that I'm usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreamingwhat your brain renders on this canvas is 100% interpretation...

there has been recent evidence (I will find the cite if you want) that in the process of perception, the memory centers of the brain light up before the object recognition centers.

the implication is that you cannot perceive anything that you do not have a perceptual reference for.

like the Indians looking at Columbus' ships...you've heard that one?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Scientific Understanding and Mathematical Modeling of Emotions of the Spiritually Sublime
Leonid I. Perlovsky
LINK

Bar et al concentrated on three brain areas: visual cortex, object recognition area, and long-term object-information storage area (memory). They demonstrated that memory is activated 130 ms after the visual cortex, but 50 ms before the object recognition area. This confirmed that memory of an object is activated before the object is recognized.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

Scientific Understanding and Mathematical Modeling of Emotions of the Spiritually Sublime
Leonid I. Perlovsky
LINK

Bar et al concentrated on three brain areas: visual cortex, object recognition area, and long-term object-information storage area (memory). They demonstrated that memory is activated 130 ms after the visual cortex, but 50 ms before the object recognition area. This confirmed that memory of an object is activated before the object is recognized.

Nice article. One of the most fascinating self realizations I had with regard to human perception and reality modelling by the brain is that it's very similar to how 3D Software renders a 3D image on a 2D computer screen. In my observations, the mind uses a type of neural geometry that forms the meshing system and then layers over the mesh with the color bitmap and lighting effects.

This is why people have reported Hypnagogia during falling asleep which can be vivid fractal geometry and triangle clouds. These naturally occurring geometry is part of information processing by the brain. In dreams especially, I have seen this fully in action where this 2D fractal suddenly springs out into a 3D scene and nearly instantly the color and lighting layers over to create the illusion of space. Time is merely the animation of sequences as the brain generates each scene.

In lucid dreams, I have stripped away the top-layer of this visual color data and also seen the triangular hypnagogia mesh many, many times over.

The brain is a natural 3D modeling software driven reality rendering farm. It's amazing.

top topics

join