It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zillions of stars exist, ET's could care less about Earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I think our social structures and interactions alone would warrant being studied.

There are many who believe that aliens are responsible for us being here. IF such a thing were true, I suppose it'd be like a parent checking in on a child once every so often to make sure it hasn't burnt the house down or crashed the car.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

There is no logical reason for a advanced species to come to this hell hole.

Hell Hole, thats funny, stop counting the grains of sand then and look around

Some are blinded by their own sh^t

Wal

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
With the vast amounts of other planets out there.... for all we could know there could already be handfulls of aliens already living together,monitoring, and just general governing of the areas of space they venture. Who knows.... maybe were in the backyard of some race thats simply waiting for us to age like wine to that perfect year..... Some theorized that they may have originally planed us to be a slave race.... but then decided to let us mature more when they saw we had more potential and would never serve as a "docile" race.... XD hopefully our governments don't change that with all their prescription drugs and what not.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect
reply to post by SaturnFX

Then where are all these billions and billions of star travelers?

-squints and points to the sky-
up der

You ever stop and think how long it took just for us to get to this point that I'm now typing on a computer to you?

human civilization? a blink of an eye comparatively

( Think age of the universe.)

think ancient (forbidden) archeology

This whole civilization thing may not be the first time around on this merry-go-round
where did the earlier civs go?

-squints back up at the sky, then just shrugs-

Ever stop and think about all the highly significant chains of events that needed to happen in order for me to be able to sit here at this moment and type on a computer to you?

again, it happened rapidly from us being cave dwelling morons to exploring space (limited at the moment).
Dark Ages sort of clipped the progress for about 1800 years and smashed us back down, but otherwise, it went quite quickly and arguably naturally.

You ever stop and think that some other civilization out there had to go through the same sort of process and more importantly survive to be able to get to the point of traversing the galaxy?

Yep
and no doubt many, many civilizations failed..nuked themselves into oblivion, coughed themselves to death, etc...hell, we came close to extinction a few times in our brief timeframe due to plagues and such

If they had even a 10000 yr head start, wouldn't they be bound by their resources on their own planet too? Or face the same threat from an asteroid? Or dare I say another alien race?

Define resources of the planet
Are we talking about resources in our knuckledragging concept, or from a theoretical standpoint?
resources...be it oil, gold, water, your desk, a puppy, is simply a collection of elements tossed together to form something
imagine a technology allowing you to, like legos, take raw elements and create whatever structure you want...be it gold, a cheeseburger, etc.
This is where our working theoretical science is at -today-...in 10k years from now, the world as we know it, our understanding of limitations as we know it, will be completely invalid.
I could go more into this, however, its probably best if you just google "nano-assembler" and read about the work and research going on today all over the world.
As far as asteroids, supervolcanos, etc...sure, I imagine plenty a civs got KOed from such events..however, we are talking about a -lot- of planets here, and billions of years of chances over and over again
hell, our earth has seen all of those, yet we rose up (again?) anyhow, over and over.
life is two things...stubborn, and progressive. That is the constant.

Out of the thousands of planets in our own "neighborhood" within a hundred or so lightyears either way, how many have intelligent life on them that we know of?

We can only confirm one planet having life on it (ours)...its our only reference point..
we have checked our closest neighbor (mars) and it appears there may have been life there also, however due to the world being made of fail, that is now gone.

So, of the 2 planets we have been able to test...(earth and mars) it is 100% for either has or have had life.

Exactly.

Exactly

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
"Go walk on the beach and imagine every grain of sand a star, then envision the planets that revolve around said star.
Do the math bruh. "

I would like to work with your math to make your figures so much more impressive, but only to show you how silly you are being.

grains of sand? How many atoms in a grain of sand? How large is a beach full of sand compared to a single star, yet science today claims that the complete universe contains as many or more galaxies as the number of atoms in the observable universe.
How many atoms in our sun? And that is only one medium sized star. How many atoms in the observable universe? That's a lot of galaxies.

And if you assume only one intelligent species per galaxy you still come up with as many intelligent species as the number of atoms in the observable universe.

Impressive !!! Massive !!!

Now the silly part. Let's get off the math and try a small lesson in vocabulary. Try and grasp the idea behind the word 'ALIEN'.
You seem to assume that these billions and billions of 'alien' species would all think like, behave like, and share the motivations of human beings.

Since you, a human being, have decided you can not see any logical reason to come to this hell hole it must automatically follow that aliens with alien concepts, reasoning and motivations would not come.

Have you considered the possibility that their motives might be....dare I say it....alien to you? That it might involve alien concepts you can not conceive of?
You must be one hell of a guy if you can understand billions and billions of alien cultures without even any exposure to them. So BTW, what is your source for this knowledge? Do you talk to God or are you simply the greatest human mind that has ever existed?
How did you deduce what these aliens wanted, needed, craved, etc?

Occam's razor, however, demands that I accept the simplest explanation and while thinking we have a human amongst us capable of such incredible insight is tempting, the idea that you have a major ego problem does seem much more likely.
Is that really the best you can do? Project your thoughts, motivations and ideas into others? Is your imagination so small?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoo2012

Why are you spamming random threads with your tripe? It's a video everyone has seen before, and you're just trying to get more views on your own YT page. Go away.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
No one really knows. Sure many stars exist, less in the count that can sustain beings(possible Alpha Centauri's earth-like planet) they might be interested in. Maybe we are easier for them to a)visit earth
b) they don't know of other places advanced technology or species wise.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Better Mouse Trap

Incorrect premise plus lack of awareness produces disinformation. Get educated!

It doesn't matter what's "logical." ETs or no ETs, we have problems to deal with.

If you don't want to help, why not just admit it?

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
You know what? I am still wowed by the vast animal and plant life here on earth. Some of them still "alien" to us. Have you ever just sat back and took a long look? Stars are a dime a dozen, but our unique life forms are not. Each one evolved to fit its unique enviornment. Totally amazing! Just imagine being an alien and finding this wondrous plant. ET would care a lot!

And who is to say that ET's would have had a culture that preserves and protects their own planets various life forms? What we have may be unique. Perhaps something they have lost over many millenia. If you think about it, earth is one large zoo. Perhaps a gem, that they would value. And not want to lose.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

I would never. I am enraptured by his insight into this new conspiracy of Bruh.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't know why some people say that E.T's would not be interested in us. Wouldn't people say that humour/laughter is priceless? Isn't it possible that senses of humour only exist here on Earth and no where else in the universe? If that was the case and I was an alien I'd want to know what laughter felt like, I'd want to know all about it. Then I'd sit and watch 'The Office' and 'I'm Alan Partridge' and laugh my alien arse off

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
...Isn't it possible that senses of humour only exist here on Earth and no where else in the universe? ...

It's possible, but it isn't necessarily the case.

Civilizations could be as common as a tree in the forest, and humans could be as interesting as an average gray squirrel.

...or not. Who knows?

edit on 4/22/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join