It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Anyone and everyone should know their rights.
You do not have to give your property over to a police officer, period. Without a warrant, a simple and polite "No" ends the issue.
Then the officer will need to obtain a search warrant.

Another reason not to live or visit MI.
CA, NY, NJ are on the list as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Obviously a gross violation of the 4th amendment. This is probably a testing ground to see how people will react. If people aren't outraged by this then this will probably become more common in other places. If I get pulled over for a minor traffic violation I dare any cop to ask me for my cell phone, because he better have a warrant. This is no different than the illegal search and seizure that the TSA does on a daily basis at an airport near you. It is quite obvious that a trend is developing here... first the warrant-less wiretaps, then the "enhanced" security measures at the airports, and now this. What's next?! Soon they will be going door to door for no reason. This is how soft tyranny turns into blunt, in your face tyranny. It's very slow and PROGRESSIVE.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
As a result of the manufactured war on “terror” it looks as if Israel continues to make bank, at the expense of American taxpayers of course.

The devices, sold by a company called Cellebrite, can download text messages, photos, video, and even GPS data from most brands of cell phones. The handheld machines have various interfaces to work with different models and can even bypass security passwords and access some information.

source : news.cnet.com...

Why’s this guy smiling? Well he’s getting rich off U.S. taxpayers, that’s why.

UFED Israel Cellebrite ( product sales )

note : press the "YouTube Link" button, to get the video rolling.

F.T.G.

edit on 20-4-2011 by seasoul because: REASON? ... I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' REASON

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yep! My home state is always ahead of the curve on destroying our rights and freedoms. What a farce!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Here's what I posted in Other Current Events:

I've been considering for quite a while now what I should do if I am stopped and questioned by the police these days. I thought I'd get a state ID now, before the Feds force that new law on how the states must standardize their IDs. Then I'd use that as ID when I'm in a situation where I'm not driving a motor vehicle. I guess now I'd also be carrying a decoy cell phone that only has a few numbers and no text, pictures, or GPS apps to give to the officer, but only after some resistance. My main phone would be turned off if I suspect a stop. A road block might be a lot trickier, but CBs are good for a forewarning. Man it's getting harder everyday to safeguard our rights in what ever way we can!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If this is serious then it's an absoulte joke!!

Fair enough i understand that local or federal police in some circumstances may need to check mobile (cell) phones for suspicious activity... but for a random traffic stop??

In Australia, if you get pulled over for an RBT or Random Breathlyser Test, the Police arent aloowed to ask for your ID or liscence unless they have a reason or just cause.....

So then WT..H is this??
edit on 20-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

It is not really the fault of this guy or company. This device can provide good, when used within the boundaries of the law.
The issue is with the MI state Govt and the LE Agencies involved.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by seasoul

It is not really the fault of this guy or company. This device can provide good, when used within the boundaries of the law.

What "boundaries of the law" are you specifically referring to?

The 4th amendment to the constitution is pretty clear about unreasonable searches and seizures, so I doubt that a cop saying, "I stopped you for speeding, so gimme your cell phone" qualifies as reasonable.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by seasoul

What "boundaries of the law" are you specifically referring to?

The 4th amendment to the constitution is pretty clear about unreasonable searches and seizures, so I doubt that a cop saying, "I stopped you for speeding, so gimme your cell phone" qualifies as reasonable.

When used in accordance with a valid lawful search warrant, it can be a good tool. But, when used as rampantly as it is in MI, then it is poor Governing.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Seriously, what the hell! This can't be constitutional!

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

"Law enforcement officers are known, on occasion, to encourage citizens to cooperate if they have nothing to hide," ACLU staff attorney Mark P. Fancher wrote. "No less should be expected of law enforcement, and the Michigan State Police should be willing to assuage concerns that these powerful extraction devices are being used illegally by honoring our requests for cooperation and disclosure."

A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

That's insane. Freaking Michigan... it's not enough to basically cancel elections by appointing ``emergency managers`` over elected officials, now they do this? Michigan is a state run by thugs....

TOTALLY CHUNTA !!!!!!!!
You have the RIGHT to remain silent....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
well crap.

Counterintelligence tools/techniques needed.

ok Michiganders, whats next.

This sucks, watch yourselves people.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Just switch your cell off when you see a pig headed your way ...tuck it away and hide it ...

Also .. they shoulld research into devices that can administer a small direction-focused EMP ... knock out the nosy pig's vision ... lolz ..

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by legalizeit
Just switch your cell off when you see a pig headed your way ...tuck it away and hide it ...

Also .. they shoulld research into devices that can administer a small direction-focused EMP ... knock out the nosy pig's vision ... lolz ..

Powering down the device will not do anything. The reader can break through any codes set.

How about just know you rights? Simple enough.

Deploying an EMP would take you down the path of destruction of Govt property.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by idonotcollectstamps
How about making a false phone that when they hook it up to the machine sends out a gigantic electric surge that fries the crap out of it rendering it no longer operable.

I have a cell phone stun gun, I do not imagine that it would be too hard to craft a cell phone scanning machine frying mechanism inside of an iPhone shell.

"Certainly Officer you can see my phone I have nothing to hide and I am sure that you would never trample on my rights."

ZZZAAPPPP

"Sorry bout your little totalitarian machine there it appears to be melted into a gooey mess!"

Big Brother lackey who is reading this thread, do not try it. You know what will happen if you do. Do not force our hand. You are pushing it and this is where it goes over the line. If you are going to scan us at least do it behind our backs without our knowledge. Do not do it to our face.

I want one of those. If anyone here can make one please do so and send to me.
While I dont live in the U.S, I still live in U.S territory which sucks, because our laws are federal laws.
Honestly, all this is getting beyond ridiculous, do they honestly believe that a society that is already accoustumed to a way of living is just gonna take it?

All they are doing is stirring the Hive, if so, then let them, for the swarm of bees will eventually come out when they say enough is enough.

if any Federal Agents are reading this, (makes gesture with a certain finger) you are violating the constitution of the United states of America, and what you are doing is TREASON punishable by LAW of the constitution.
edit on 20-4-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Suddenly I don't feel like a dork for not using my cel-phone. It sits on my nightstand. I only take it with me when driving conditions are hazrardous or other "emergency" situations.

However that being said I'm not sure how this got past anyone as remotely legal. I would think the most limp legal challenge will send it back to the scrapheap where it belongs.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vitchilo

Once again 99% of you have jumped to conclusions and have fallen for an agenda ridden rant that is disquised as a "news" outlet. And once again, all of the police bashers on the website have jumped in and screamed POLICE STATE we need an ARMED REVOLUTION AGAINST ALL POLICE.

The big word in the first sentance of the article is CAN. As in COULD be used to extract data during a traffic stop. And not remotely, if you look at the device the cell phone is clearly plugged in.

No where in the article has it said that it is common practice for the Michigan State Police to do this during regular traffic stops or that it has ever been done during a regular traffic stop. It only said the device COULD be used to do this because it is portable enough to carry with you.

All of you are correct that an officer downloading all the data on your phone during a simple traffic stop would be a violation of the 4th Amendment.

That is why it is not done.

This device is simply used to download all the information from a cell phone quickly and methodically which is being searched LEGALLY.

Also, if you are arrested, everything in your possession is subject to search incident to arrest. This includes your cell phone if you are carrying it. These types of search incident to arrest have been reviewed and upheld in court numerous times. If for some reason it is established in case law that it is not constitutional by the courts then it will not be done.

Please, those of you reading this that are not already police bashers, don't be fooled by hype generated by a cleverly written "news" article.
edit on 20-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: edit to add

edit on 20-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: typo

edit on 20-4-2011 by areyouserious2010 because: mistake

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Thats like the other day here in Nashville.....

I was standing on broadway , and it was a busy saturday evening and the cops were out with dogs, walking up and down cars while they were stopped at stop lights......

Now there are no checkpoints , and its not designated zone ...........

How legal is that?

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Rules to Open Discovery.
Also, same as if a cop smells burning pot and can enter your home. Open discovery and destruction of evidence.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

So let me get this straight, it was not a "checkpoint" or "designated zone" and people were only stopping at a stop light and once the light turned green, they were free to leave?

It is 100% legal. I assume you think they were scanning for narcotics but dogs can be used to scan for numerous things including bombs, guns and bodies as well. You have no expectation of privacy when it comes to the odor of contraband (I know you are thinking drugs but i just listed several other forms of contraband) that can be detected by a trained police dog eminating from your vehicle. No one is being detained at all when stopping for a traffic light and if they are scanning all vehicles then no one is being illegally singled out for scan.

The problems I would see in this type of enforcement are the safety hazards to the officer and dog being in traffic. Also, if there is a high volume of traffic, there might be problems in pinpointing the specific vehicle the odor of the contraband is eminating from. Or, if the odor has been left by a vehicle that just passed through the intersection and now the dog has been fooled into believing the odor is eminating from another vehicle.

The LEGALITY of the enforcement is not the issue. It is the other problems that I listed that would make this a bad tactic used by police.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

I am ex-LE. I know the rules and know how things go.
I knew other cops that would bend the laws, and I knew of cops in other agencies that broke the laws.

Again, if it is used within the confines of the law, it is a great tool.

Please re-read my posts. I don't bash cops.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join