It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Seriously, what the hell! This can't be constitutional!

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.

"Law enforcement officers are known, on occasion, to encourage citizens to cooperate if they have nothing to hide," ACLU staff attorney Mark P. Fancher wrote. "No less should be expected of law enforcement, and the Michigan State Police should be willing to assuage concerns that these powerful extraction devices are being used illegally by honoring our requests for cooperation and disclosure."

A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

That's insane. Freaking Michigan... it's not enough to basically cancel elections by appointing ``emergency managers`` over elected officials, now they do this? Michigan is a state run by thugs....

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
100% Unconstitutional.

Unfortunately, no heads will roll over this.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
They tried to pull that in NH and it got shot down really fast.

It was in a bill that would make using your cell phone while driving illegal. Which in itself is complete bull since distracted driving and reckless operation of a motor vehicle are already illegal. We really need one more law saying the same thing 12 other laws say?

So to kill it they attached the "phone peep" thing and it killed it dead.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

fascism at its finest what ever happened to that protection from illegal search and seizure.

minor means running a stop sign, a speeding ticket,

that is seriously insane.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Sadly it would appear that the people in charge of "rolling heads" are the very ones needing a rolling of the head. We have let the fox in the henhouse big time, but we let the fox direct our ire at each other over petty political BS they they stir up in order to make us insist the fox is not in the hen house.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I don't see how this can be legal. And what if they run into a government worker with sensitive data on his phone. Or sensitive company emails or pictures.

How will that work. what if you have a confidentiality agreement? and you can't divulge information.

it's a big can of worms.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Does this device work remotely? What I am asking is does the device have to be attached to a cell phone or can you simply aim the device at the cell phone and extract the information through the air?

I might have to get myself one of these devices. They keep them inside of patrol cars? Is it attached to the patrol cars computer or is it an independent system?

Never mind I can see from the image that the device attaches to a cellphone. It appears to operate independently of the patrol car and seems that it would easily fit inside of a small backpack.

edit on 19-4-2011 by idonotcollectstamps because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Coming to your town soon.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Imagine: "Mr. President, we need to see your Blackberry."

And all the SS guys shout in unison: "we told you keeping that thing was a bad idea"

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

fascism at its finest what ever happened to that protection from illegal search and seizure.

It's no more illegal than 98% of the other crimes they are committing. They are -- after all -- criminals.

Our forefathers, parents and recent generations stood idly by while the government committed ever increasing crimes. Now they have more-or-less openly false-flagged us. That means it's game over soon -- one way or the other. They will not give up power and face-the-music voluntarily.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What exactly have they done that's illegal? According to the report nobody knows what exactly has been done, it just states that the aclu would like to see records of how they were used.

Quit putting the cart before the horse and reserve critical judgement till you have all the facts.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
WOW. this is COMPLETE AND UTTER BULL$4!T!!! if i got pulled over and they asked to see my phone its going to be an INSTANT NO. and i have NOTHING to hide. as a matter of fact, if i get pulled over and they ask to see my phone i will pull out a small tupperware bowl of water and instantly drop my entire phone inside of it while its on, take it out break it into as many pieces as i can and say here now you can see it. THAN i would sue the crap out of this state and make the entire case WOLRDWIDE. this world really is going to CRAP

and for the record, i live 5 mins outside of lansing...
edit on 19-4-2011 by HispanicPanic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
christ, just what the hell is going on up in Michigan these days? seriously...perhaps the next false flag attack from the alphabet intelligence agencies is going to be in Detroit, and so they are preparing for martial law to be implemented immediately after...all the pieces are in place...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
that excuse it used to justify everything. if you have nothing to hide, let us search your car, house, girlfriend, dog, boat, office, work and anything else we can think of.

meanwhile, if they ask, they already have judged you guilty, so you should refuse all requests. tell them why, and use your constitutional rights to protect yourself.

because it's you who would be doing time, paying lawyers and having a criminal record.

you never know, you might pick up a chick and she might forget something in your car.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Someone's going to make a mint if they can figure out how to make a device that emits an electromagnetic pulse just large enough to wipe the phone's memory.

"Sorry officer, but I don't have a phone.However, I do have this 3 ounce paperweight which you may examine at your leisure."

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HispanicPanic

or instead of breaking your phone, you could just say you don't own one? (leave it in the glove box or something)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yet another post from southeast Michigan. When I'm driving or at a location, the battery comes out of my phone. When I'm home, the battery comes out. I don't turn the thing on unless I need to use it. Do you have a cell phone with you? Nope. If the battery ain't in it, it's broken.

Lately, I've been testing a new cell phone signal booster for one of my shows. To do it, I have to have it in service mode. This mode has a lot of information that is stored in the phone. Currently, I have entered 10,572 keystrokes into it. One feature on my phone in service mode is the location of the phone. I have GPS turned off. It still has the information broadcasting. Link

I'll ask a friend of mine on our local force about this when I talk to him next. Some links:

Link
Link

Computer programs

DataPilot Secure View
Oxygen Forensic Suite 2
Paraben Cell Seizure

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Actually, the Libyan "rebels" already have instant-cellphone-wipe technology...courtesy of the USA.

www.theblaze.com...

ETA: Anybody want to bet that our government would have a problem with US having that technology? Anyone?
edit on 19-4-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
How about making a false phone that when they hook it up to the machine sends out a gigantic electric surge that fries the crap out of it rendering it no longer operable.

I have a cell phone stun gun, I do not imagine that it would be too hard to craft a cell phone scanning machine frying mechanism inside of an iPhone shell.

"Certainly Officer you can see my phone I have nothing to hide and I am sure that you would never trample on my rights."

ZZZAAPPPP

"Sorry bout your little totalitarian machine there it appears to be melted into a gooey mess!"

Big Brother lackey who is reading this thread, do not try it. You know what will happen if you do. Do not force our hand. You are pushing it and this is where it goes over the line. If you are going to scan us at least do it behind our backs without our knowledge. Do not do it to our face.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Man, where do you find all this stuff?

By all means, keep it coming!

What about the constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure?
edit on 4/19/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join