It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Got Laid Off Today,So The End Of The World Is Coming!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
After 24 years,I have joined the ranks of the unemployed.
The reason?
Reduction in manpower.

So,I immediately filed for my unemployment online,which was pretty easy.
Get a check in 2 weeks.
I feel a sort of freedom now,being I have had maybe 1 week off at a time in
those 24 years.

So,in my job,which is union,we have apprentices,junior mechanics and mechanics.
Alot of this job is experience.And there is only one other mechanic with more
experience than me.
And to think they can replace me with a less experienced mechanic than I.

So,I will wait it out,cause my industry is begging for knowledgable mechanics
and hopefully I will return to the workforce before I recieve my first unemployment check.
If not,well,I can adapt and find other things to do.
Or the world will end.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Good luck, I think you'll you'll have no problem finding a job. Mechanics are always needed it seems. Maybe its time to go into business for yourself.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
massive layoffs make little sense to me. When times get better, they need to hire people back, who are usually inexperienced, and need to be trained. I would think it would cost a ton more to do that, than to keep the experienced people, who do a solid quality job.

but what do i know

enjoy your vacation!!

edit on 19-4-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Good luck. I've bounced around more the past two years than I'd prefer, due to the economy, so I feel for you. Still, unemployment doesn't pay the bills, so hoping you're not out too long. I was lucky enough to have some savings to fall back on (but went through them, and haven't yet been able to rebuild them, even after finding employment) (was out a few months until the right thing came along).

Best of luck to you. Try and enjoy at least the first week or so, as a vacation, to put you in the right mindset to move forward.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Take a vacation and enjoy the unemployment as long as possible, after 24 years a vacation is well deserved.
If you are an auto mechanic, I suggest doing backyard mechanics at your leisure for extra income. I have several friends doing that now after their unemployment dried up and no work available in their areas. No boss or middle man taking their piece from your labor.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It's perfect timing for growing a garden.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

To be more precise,I'm an elevator mechanic.
Very few experienced guys left,we have alot of
younger guys left over from the construction bubble.

Thanks everyone,I'll be fine.
My wife has a really good paying job.
It's just the honey do list is going to have to
be taken care of now.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I got laid off as well. Best thing that ever happened to me. I woke up to the lies when I was laid off. I started to think for myself. I realized the News is a lie, the healthcare industry is to destroy health, the US gov is an illusion, The paper you have in your wallet is also an illusion to divide the people.

Grow you a garden, Learn to fish or hunt if you like Meat and live the simple life. You do not need to have a new car each year or a new home. Enjoy life without the illusions. Find some friends and neighbors to barter with. You will be fine.

If you can find a Lathe or some machine shop tools then you can start your own workshop to provide essentials to love ones and friends. Create your own barter system.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
It's just the honey do list is going to have to be taken care of now.

It's good to keep the sense of humor. My husband sometimes daydreams of losing his job, but I think the Honeydew list is what keeps him hanging on.

Sorry you lost your income. Good luck!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Start your own business....

mobile mechanic door to door

get some business cards done and shlep around some buildings and landlords for work

edit on 19-4-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buford2

I got laid off as well. Best thing that ever happened to me. I woke up to the lies when I was laid off. I started to think for myself. I realized the News is a lie, the healthcare industry is to destroy health, the US gov is an illusion, The paper you have in your wallet is also an illusion to divide the people.

Grow you a garden, Learn to fish or hunt if you like Meat and live the simple life. You do not need to have a new car each year or a new home. Enjoy life without the illusions. Find some friends and neighbors to barter with. You will be fine.

If you can find a Lathe or some machine shop tools then you can start your own workshop to provide essentials to love ones and friends. Create your own barter system.

Sorry to here that.
I'm with you on the lies.
That want you to bust a$$ but it just doesn't matter in the end.

Wanting for my wife to come home,she doesn't know yet.

And I will take your advice and try to live a simple life.
I always wanted to work from home.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i was layedoff over a year ago and finally just this week I have found a job that at least matches my unemployment...to me it wasnt worth taking a job for anything less...i enjoyed the vacation so maybe you should try it for a little while op....its definately not the end of the world....and wherei wrked i noticed that it seems to be a theme in most placs of getting rid of the higher paid employess and keeping the ones who make less but dont kow as much...the employers figure if they can at least do the basics then its better in their mind to keep the cheaper out of the 2

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
You know what really gets me is the company is offering the customer a service,
but they ain't living up to it.
They are more or less stealing from the customers.
It's just a matter of time before the customer wises up.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gdaub23
i was layedoff over a year ago and finally just this week I have found a job that at least matches my unemployment...to me it wasnt worth taking a job for anything less...i enjoyed the vacation so maybe you should try it for a little while op....its definately not the end of the world....and wherei wrked i noticed that it seems to be a theme in most placs of getting rid of the higher paid employess and keeping the ones who make less but dont kow as much...the employers figure if they can at least do the basics then its better in their mind to keep the cheaper out of the 2

Congrats to the job!!!
I am hoping for some time off,I really need it to get my head straight.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

you know it would be great to pear up old and new guys together, so the old guy teaches the new one all the trick of the trade there passing on...instead you have a lot of resentment towards the new generation, which doesn't really give said new generation much reason to do the jobs in the first place....just saying it....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostrecon

you know it would be great to pear up old and new guys together, so the old guy teaches the new one all the trick of the trade there passing on...instead you have a lot of resentment towards the new generation, which doesn't really give said new generation much reason to do the jobs in the first place....just saying it....

I don't have resentment towards the new guys.
I just know for a fact that they can't do the job I can do.
We use to be paired up so we could train the newer generation.
But that doesn't happen anymore.
I always enjoyed teaching the younger guys my job.
The younger workforce is trained by us old guys on all the tricks of the trade.
But when they lay off the old guys,
who is going to train the new generation?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

enjoy your time off...sounds like you deserve it...dont take the first job that comes your way especially if it means taking less money...there will be more and you worked for the unemployment that you will be recieving...you paid into it for all te years ou worked...the way i think about it is that its your money to begin with so why not get some of it back?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Having experience in any type of mechanical field is great. You can turn your experience into a business of your own also. I have noticed that some people that lose their jobs, actually start taking their passions, experience, and even hobbies, and became entrepreneurs.

Good luck to you, NRE.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Having experience in any type of mechanical field is great. You can turn your experience into a business of your own also. I have noticed that some people that lose their jobs, actually start taking their passions, experience, and even hobbies, and became entrepreneurs.

Good luck to you, NRE.

Thanks,NRE.
I think I'm gonna start working on my CGI skills,start my own ufo site,
get many followers to donate.
Then write a book on all my hypothesis and make millions!
I will call the site "I am Alien,I am You"

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Day 2

Told the wife last night before all the storms hit,
she cried alittle,then after calming down,we
did some number crunching.
My insurance is still good for a year,and she has her own.
After cutting out extras like before school child care
and summertime childcare,and all the luxuries,
plus unemployment,we would be almost about the same
in income.
The job,elevator mechanic, included plumbing,welding,mechanical,electrical,electronics and computer skills.
Also customer skills.
And with my strong electrical background,I could
get my electricians license,or a HVAC license and start my own business.
But that would be at the end of the summer.

Wow,there is a silver lining in every cloud.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join