It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people so frantically making survival preparations?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I was thinking the thing OP! There was just a special on the Public TV station WTIU out of Bloomington, In about how Switzerland is ordering survival style foods like crazy. It went on to say that over 95% have bomb shelters dating from WW2. Meanwhile I know of several stocking up as well.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Why are people prepping?
Because most are not naive enough not think that when it does all go to crap, the Govt is the best place for solving our problems.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I have only prepared for two things. Tornadoes and hurricanes. That's it. I don't need to prepare for anything yet.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by triscuits123

OK.

Luck favors the prepared.

I am prepared for a host of different scenarios.
And I am prepared to fend off those that are not prepared.

So, be prepared.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Quite a few people have posted this before, but I'll echo it for its pure significants: "Better to have and not need, than need and not have".
Several of you have mentioned that you see no imminent threat and so have not prepared. I think that's a grave mistake. You don't wait for the blizzard to run to the store to buy milk and eggs (though I generally get saltine crackers & peanut butter. No better survival food on the planet). I've also read remarks about looting. This is another noob mistake. Imagine being in Wal-Mart on Black Friday. Now imagine everyone is armed and desperate. Doesn't sound like a wise plan in my book.

In response to 'Kro32' (on page one):

That's some extremely dangerous advise you're throwing out there to people. Stalk survivors, take their stash, steal their rides and their safe houses? That's a quick way to get yourself killed. You're talking about purposefully going after already prepared people who are on the move (or are about to move). In a situation like that, I have no problem eliminating that kind of threat, and everyone with said fool, and I'd wager that every other pre-prepared peron in this forum would be the same way, especially if you factor in that a lot of us are parents, and for parents there is no limit to how far we will go to secure their safety.

Back on topic:

It never hurts to be prepared. Water is heavy, however, water purification tablets are light and cheap. As are saltine crackers and peanut butter (for carbs and protein). Guns aren't necessary if you're handy with a fishing pole or a snare, but that being said I have a few firearms myself. Here's a list for an "Any Situation" survival stash.

-Saltines
-Peanut Butter
-Bottled Water (if you don't have to move)
-Water Purification Tablets (for if you do)
-A *good* Knife
-A Gas Mask per person in the home (with a preferable NBC filter or 2) Gas Masks are useful for
chemical, biological, nuclear threats, as well as good against atmospheric particulates like ash,
or even decay stench.
-Magnesium Fire Starter and/or Waterproof matches
-A well stocked first aid kit (suture kit included)
-Kelp and/or Potassium Iodide tablets
-Good Shoes (Pre broken in, but not excessively worn)
-90 days worth of food per person in the house (minimum) This food can range from MREs to
canned/dried goods. Doesn't matter. If it doesn't need a lot of cook time, all the better.
-A shovel (this tool will serve both practical and morbid purposes, but it will ultimately be invaluable)
-A Good Flashlight (wind-ups are great, but a battery powered one will suffice, and are preferable for scavenging)
-Life Jackets per person in the house (Tsunamis or severe flooding will make these true life savers)
-Seeds w/ fertilizer (in case the threat spreads out longer than 90 days)

There are many of us who could survive with just the knife on the list, but those are just the basics that'll get the average person through most any disaster. Though depending on the threat you can go even more in depth in your supplies.
After the $h!t hits the fan the scavenge and/or stock list will increase to just about anything. Even if you don't need it, you can always barter it for something you do need later. This goes especially for medicine, medical tools, and ammunition.

We live in dire times. Maybe its the internet that makes things seem worse than before, but maybe the internet has somehow actually made things worse. Whatever the truth of it, we are faced today with a wide variety of troubles: floods, tsunamis, radiation, hurricanes, tornados, solar storms, comets, clouds of dark matter, hidden planets, wild fires, political instability, economic crisis, global unrest at the hands of revolution, a possible third world war, religious tensions, civil unrest, disease, famine, earthquakes, and that doesn't even include Aliens and the horde of plausible catastrophes that come with that subject.
To not prepare is like walking into a 100 square mile labyrinth without directions and thinking "I don't need to bring anything. I'll be back by dinner". Survival supplies are an insurance policy. One that gives back 100%.

edit on 21-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Some prepare for religious reasons (Mormons), some for self-sufficiency, some for personal satisfaction, some for the end of the world, some because they went hungry in the depression/concentration camp/Bosnia/ or are children of someone who did, and others do it because they just don't know what else to do.

Me, I am a child of Depression era parents who knew what hunger and having nothing meant. I was raised to garden, hunt, can my own food, and be as self-sufficient as possible. That's a value many today don't understand.

There's absolutely no shame in being self-sufficient. Whatever I feel like eating I can easily go to my pantry and either heat it up or make it from scratch. I don't have to run to the hardware store (25 miles away) if something breaks or I need to make a repair.

I've been around long enough to live through hurricanes, ice storms, tornadoes and floods. My family has fared fairly well compared to the folks in town during natural disasters.

With the world economy teetering and wars and rumors of wars around every corner and general instability inside the USA with banks and even states with no money...I don't have as much concern about providing for my family and myself if and/or when something happens.

As far as stalking prepared folks and taking what they have worked to have...remember this, prepared folks have, for the most part, already decided to protect themselves and their families against this specific threat.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by denytheignorance

Simply bcos no one wants to be needy at hour or time of such event. If it happens or not, its better to safe then sorry.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
IF the SHTF scenario does play out, there will be have and have nots. the have nots are going to make some very irrational choices if SHTF. I would rather be on side of the have.

10 years ago (24 years old) I thought places like ATS were VERY hoaxy. Today I signed up because I am nervous, my people are nervous and I talk with professional business people all over the country every day, they are also nervous.

I have spent a lifetime doing everything I can to protect our right to bear arms. I now understand that I was merely touching the tip of the iceberg at the age of 34.

I am preparing becuase I truly believe that the reset button is going to be pushed. I dont think it will be ET in form, but rather a financial colapse.

I have been hunting since I was 6 and recently starting growing heirloom veggies and have just received my LA master gardners certificate.

I want to be on the have side, because the have nots...well, they wont have much time

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LongSeptember

Have you ever heard the joke about anarchy and two cows.
ANARCHY: You have two cows. Either you sell the milk at a fair price or your neighbors try to kill you and take the cows.
What makes you think if you are prepared(which will be the minority of persons) that people won't just kill you for the supplies. I suggest you add a gun to your B.O.B and a couple of freinds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join