It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WISE Delivers Millions of Galaxies, Stars, Asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I found this while checking out NASA today. I thought it was pretty sweet! I did a search to see if anyone posted this already and couldnt find anything.

Source

"Starting today thousands of new eyes will be looking at WISE data, and I expect many surprises," said Edward (Ned) Wright of UCLA, the mission's principal investigator.

Orion's Big Head Revealed in Infrared

Orion's head is represented by the star Lamdba Orionis (fuzzy red dot in middle). When viewed in infrared light, NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, shows a giant nebula around Lambda Orionis, inflating Orion's head to huge proportions

NASA

Zeta Ophiuchi -- Runaway Star Plowing Through Space Dust

The blue star near the center of this image is Zeta Ophiuchi. When seen in visible light it appears as a relatively dim red star surrounded by other dim stars and no dust. However, in this infrared image taken with NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer, or WISE, a completely different view emerges. Zeta Ophiuchi is actually a very massive, hot, bright blue star plowing its way through a large cloud of interstellar dust and gas.

NASA

There are a couple other really cool pictures at the source link. I just love pictures of The Universe!! It is completely beautiful and mysterious!! Not to mention insanely violent but you cant tell that from looking at it! I hope they release more photos I am really excited to see them!!

Thought I would ass this one too

Mapping the Infrared Universe

This image is a map of the portion of the sky covered by the preliminary release of WISE data. WISE surveyed the entire sky in four infrared wavelengths in 2010. On April 14, 2011, the WISE team released data representing 57 percent of the sky as seen by WISE. This preliminary release will allow astronomers and astronomy enthusiasts worldwide to explore the sky as seen by WISE.

edit on 18-4-2011 by ucantcme because: added image

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

Awesome pictures!
I always love looking at pictures of space.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reading nasa's web page all the info for the public should have come out last month... where is itwww.nasa.gov...

Following its successful survey, WISE was put into hibernation in February 2011. Analysis of WISE data continues. A preliminary public release of the first 14 weeks of data is planned for April 2011, and the final release of the full survey is planned for March 2012

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Doalrite

reading nasa's web page all the info for the public should have come out last month... where is it

It did.
It's here:
wise2.ipac.caltech.edu...
edit on 4/19/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

reading nasa's web page all the info for the public should have come out last month... where is it

It did.
It's here:
wise2.ipac.caltech.edu...

Fantastic.. I'll start sifting through... has anyone found anything besides just beautiful pictures?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Fantastic.. I'll start sifting through... has anyone found anything besides just beautiful pictures?

Like what?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

Originally posted by Doalrite

Like what?

I don't know thats why I was asking.... maybe they found Q out in space being a jerk
maybe a massive black hole... maybe a space whale... maybe a giant moose... its a very loose term the word "anything"

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

In that case, yes.
There have been thousands upon thousands of "somethings" discovered (thus, millions, with thousands more yet to be). None of which show any indication of being of anything other than scientific interest.

top topics

join